Gas prices!

I for one am a little tired of the prices... and the excuses. Every hiccup is a "reason" to spike the gas prices. Gas prices drive up the price of everything else... minimum wage stays the same. Cost of living goes up, minimum wage stays the same. The rich keep getting richer, and the poor sink deeper into poverty. And before you get into the "choices" debate, lemme shed some light on the "poor" side of the coin. I am like alot of the poorer people... so hopefully this will hit home and not sound like I'm whining for my own benifit here:

I am poor... I grew up in a poor family, in a small town in rural Oklahoma. I was home schooled, which in itself costs more than public school obviously... but I couldn't go to college. I didn't have the grades to get scholarships, and my family simply didn't have the money or the desire to send me. Home schoolers don't get a high school diploma, so I had to settle for a GED... Meaning minimum wage jobs, at least for a while. I was forced to move out of my parents' home when I was 16, because they didn't want me to have a girlfriend. I also was not allowed to have any kind of job when I was living at home, so saving any money for anything was out of the question.

Living costs money... moving costs money. I could only move to the slightly bigger town "next door" so to speak, because of lack of money... I hit life head on so to speak. To get a job here that pays more than minumum wage, you have to have a college education. College was out of the question... you can't go to college that costs more than 20k a year on a 16k a year job. When you barely scrape by, you can't afford to save up enough money to pull up stakes and move somewhere else, hoping and praying to find a job and a place to live. So we didn't *have* a choice of where to live... we had to take what we could get.

Same thing with vehicles... if you want a gas efficient vehicle, you're going to pay for it. When you can't afford a new or near new vehicle, you settle for what you *can* get... like my truck. It's a V8, and gets 12 mpg... but it's ALL I could afford.

I know that was a bit of a long rant, but the point was not all of us *have* choices. Whether it's where to live or what vehicle you own. And to those of us who don't have the choices, the crisis with the Gas prices is extortion... because the cost of gas drives up the cost of everything gas transports. And while the government may not have direct control over the gas prices, they *do* have control over minimum wage. :lol:

And for those who may not know, Minimum wage is a (censored) joke. :o

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Captain of the Iron Lotus

It is the angle that holds the rope, not the size of the hole.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well stated facts thar Capt'n.I'm with ye in all ye said and I can surely relate ta ye fully.Me and my wife work to make ends meet and to have a few extra added pleasures to our dailey life.Hell I have one daughter and one more on the way.I mean having internet access is a pleasure I enjoy.What kind of money are we all spending to have that?23.95,19.95 or 10.95 depending on who your host is.

Times are tough and I think for the most part we're all either feeling the blunt part of the blade now or sure gonna be here real soon so we're bracing for impact in my house to. :lol:

AICCbloody1.jpg

"Not all men seek rest and peace, some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path."Ivory Coast Cutthroats?P1.gif

Aright... time to load the cannon and attack the Petrol Conglomerates...

The price of gas went up .20c in two days....

Twenty Cents... in Two Days.... and that's the cheap 87 octane!!!

Because of all this BS, I can't afford to get my motorcycle fixed to save gas for transportation to and from work!

Thank You Corperate America! It's BOHICA time!

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Our prices just hit $1.10CND/L

at the current exchange rate of .88 USD/CND and 3.8L/USG thats....

$3.68 USD/USG

And I need premium in my car (performace vehicle) at $1.18... that's almost $4/USG in your money...

Canada is an oil rich country... We are a puzzled by the prices as you are.

William Blydes

I don't get lost, I EXPLORE!

CaptRob.jpg

Adventures on the High Seas

(refitted and back on station!)

Our prices just hit $1.10CND/L

at the current exchange rate of .88 USD/CND and 3.8L/USG thats....

$3.68 USD/USG

And I need premium in my car (performace vehicle) at $1.18... that's almost $4/USG in your money...

Canada is an oil rich country... We are a puzzled by the prices as you are.

Hmmmm....

I wonder how much the States buys from Canada... I wonder if we could tell the desert dwellers to piss off and buy/trade on this continent?

I wonder where they expect us to get the money to buy fuel?

"Thanks for the fillup, here's my first born and my left arm..."

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

Why thank you Jack........

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

One more time... making a choice and being FORCED to make a different choice at the whim of corporate america are two entirely different catagories. Be an optomist if you want, but I choose to be a realist.

One more time...don't buy it - no one forces you. (See previous points - it just seems to irritate you guys when I repeat them.) I have a friend who walks to work every day. I have another who uses a bicycle many days. (And I live in Michigan, not CA.)

If you really don't want to pay so much, you have to figure out how to buy less of it. If enough people do that, the price will come down. (Anyone who thinks regulation is the answer basically wants to put more power into the hands of the government. That's far more frightening than paying $3 a gallon to me. - That's what I call realism.)

As near as I can figure, we've been living on borrowed time anyhow. I can remember when gas was $1.50 here and something like $4 in Canada (just across the border). Is it our right as Americans to pay 1/3 of what they were paying? Even if prices hadn't changed in the last YEAR, we'd still be near the bottom third of gas pricing with the prices we're paying for gasoline today (and I doubt these prices have remained steady for over a year):

Global Gas Prices - March 2005

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Steve Jobs & Steve Wozniak (built a company from their garage), Cindy Klassen (set world records in speed skating despite losing use of her right hand - although she gained much of it back eventually), Katherine Graham (took over the Washington Post after the suicide of her husband and brought it back to profitability), Julio Palmaz (invented the stent despite 10 years of rejection from the medical community), Martin Luther and Coretta Scott King, Tony Hawk (created a sport and an industry from a hobby that was not considered a sport at all when he began), Frederick Smith (created FedEx from a paper that received a C minus in school). And Nido Qubein came here in the 60s.

Those are just some I've read about recently - there's tons of examples. Most successful people start from or face bad situations and just choose not to focus on that. Sure, people can do things to sabatoge you in the short run, but no one keeps you down in the long run other than yourself.

Besides, the times have nothing to do with succeeding. Many of the principles of success were written down by Aristotle, Demosthenes and Marcus Aurelius. The ideas haven't changed, only our perception has. (I'd say our excuses have changed, but even that isn't really true.)

"For myself I am an optimist- it does not seem to be much use being anything else." - Sir Winston Churchill

well with that all said I guess failure is a choice...

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

I had a good snicker laugh last night watching the news. Some guy driving a Hummer was complaining about the gas prices and how it's costing him 90 bucks a week to fill it up.

Are you kidding me? Sh*t, if you can afford a Hummer, you can afford the gas!

Then there was the news guy over on Coronado Island talking to a guy who owns a gas station who is charging in the 4 dollar range now. He said people were still coming in and even more into the full service islands which are 2 bucks more! He said the people there didn't mind paying the price! No shock there, if you can afford to live there, you can afford the gas.

We definately have the 'Have' and 'Have Not's' here in San Diego.

Hell I can't even afford to drive my truck anywhere hardly. We now take Boat's 1989 Toyota Camry (btw-it was my mom's car and is in almost mint condition with very low miles) to places far.

So last look, even the lowest grade gas is now $3.09 here!

"no one forces you to make a choice"?

Whew... nothing remotely real about that, sorry. The very fact that a choice is necessary is force in itself, and when it is controlled by people and out of your control, that is force too. Try again.

So they're forcing you to buy gasoline and there are no other possible options?

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

I had a good snicker laugh last night watching the news. Some guy driving a Hummer was complaining about the gas prices and how it's costing him 90 bucks a week to fill it up.

Are you kidding me? Sh*t, if you can afford a Hummer, you can afford the gas!

Then there was the news guy over on Coronado Island talking to a guy who owns a gas station who is charging in the 4 dollar range now. He said people were still coming in and even more into the full service islands which are 2 bucks more! He said the people there didn't mind paying the price! No shock there, if you can afford to live there, you can afford the gas.

We definately have the 'Have' and 'Have Not's' here in San Diego.

Hell I can't even afford to drive my truck anywhere hardly. We now take Boat's 1989 Toyota Camry (btw-it was my mom's car and is in almost mint condition with very low miles) to places far.

So last look, even the lowest grade gas is now $3.09 here!

Yeah, I laugh at the suv owners over these high gas prices. And when I say suv I mean, the huge mammoth ones! They're wishing they had smaller cars now-lol! :lol:

christinebarbossagy7.jpg