Metalwork Authenticity

Pew

I read Captain Bob's post about building a sea chest a little ways down.

My question is more related to the metalwork on the chest.

Is here anyway to determine period authenticity of metal (straps, hinges, corners, etc)? Some online stores use the same as a "wal-mart" trunk. Was there any specific design to sea chest metal work or just simple hinges with no decoration?

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

That could go either way, depending on the individual making the hardware, and/or the individual ordering the pieces to be used in the construction of a trunk or chest. A standard common trunk/chest would likely not have "fancy" hadware, whereas someone of stature would likely have more ornate metalwork done. For the common man or woman, simple was more affordable than "fancy", same as today.

Foxe posted some photos of chests in the thread you mentioned, so this could be a start. I don't have any photos of my hinges and hasps to show you, but I prefer simple myself when doing forge work.

Some examples of small items I do are in Rabble Rousing in the Handiwork thread.

P.S.( Nails were not commonly used in the making of chests and trunks used for stowing personal items, but rather in the construction of shipping crates. Nails work looose and pull out too easily, so chests and trunks were usually made with fitted joints or pegged and glued. Screws were available, but difficult to manufacture and expensive. Hope this helps.)

Capt Bo

• 3 years later...

I'd say the more 'period' way of doin' it would be leather hinges, heck, even a shoe sole.

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp