A Question About A Publisher

I was wondering if anyon could give me information about American Publisher. It looks promising, but as I have learned appearences can be deceiving. And if there is a publishere any one can suggest I am willing to listen.

Thanks

Kendra2.jpg

"Courage is the decision to fly straight into the flame while knowing the consequences"~ The Adventures Of A Notorious Youth Capt. Hook

By: J. V. Hart

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving."~Lao Tzu 490-570 BC

---------

Yes, I am leaving the pub. I don't know when or if I will come back to this port. I will check in from time to time. Until then:

*raising goblet of good cheer*

" To high adventure, and wild romance....long may they endure!"

For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content

Philippians 4:11

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

I know someone who self-published and was very happy with the results. Of course, if you do that, you have to find a way to promote your book. She was a inspirational speaker and this method of publishing allowed her to order small quantities of books to sell at her speaking engagements. (If people like what you have to say, they often want to take something about you with them. Thus the instant books sales.)

Truth be told, from what I've heard, as a beginning author you typically have to find a way to promote your book anyhow. The publishers usually don't.

(I know someone around her who published a book. I'll see if I can get him to look in on this thread. He's one of the most thorough people I've met on the web and might have some good advice for you.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

(I know someone around her who published a book. I'll see if I can get him to look in on this thread. He's one of the most thorough people I've met on the web and might have some good advice for you.)

Um. Did you mean me, Mission? I got your PM, and I'll help as best I can, but in the name of accuracy I must say that my novel is still unpublished, and unlikely to be published in the near future.

Kendra, I am not familiar with American Publisher. There is an outfit owned by C. Lee Nunn called American Book Publishing; Writer Beware has issued a warning against its dishonest practices. You might want to check and be sure that your publisher isn't the same one. PublishAmerica, of course, is infamous for misleading authors, printing shoddy books, and then browbeating authors into buying their own works. Again, though, your group might simply suffer from an unfortunate resemblance of names.

My understanding from authors who've been around the block and got published the hard way is that the main thing you have to watch out for is the vanity publisher who masquerades as legitimate, charging you a setup fee, monthly fee, advance fee, or something else cleverly disguised to hide from you the fact that you are paying to have your own book printed. Bogus literary agents operate the same way, charging an outright or disguised reading fee, which is forbidden by the Association of Authors' Representatives. The most skilful frauds will lead you along for a while, and spring the fee on you at the last moment, when they have you convinced that publication is just around the corner.

Of course, as Mission says, you can self-publish on purpose if that is your desire and you have the money. The usual result of this is an attic full of unsold books, but one time in a million a self-published book (e.g. The Joy of Cooking) is a success. Just make sure you see some examples of the printer's previous books so you know that they'll give you a quality book for your money.

Um. Did you mean me, Mission? I got your PM, and I'll help as best I can, but in the name of accuracy I must say that my novel is still unpublished, and unlikely to be published in the near future.

What? Last I heard it was almost published! You were rather excited about the whole thing. Sorry to hear it wasn't.

I was talking about you up there, but I have another friend who does inspirational public speaking who self-published. She found some on-line publishing deal where you enter the text into a preformatted page and insert your own jpeg cover art. She publishes a few books at a time - 20 or so - for something like $8 -$10 each (softcover). I own one and it seemed pretty decent, standard quality to me for a softcover book.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Another thing to watch out for is the fact that without an ISBN number

and Library of Congress control number many (most) bookstores and libraries will not put it on the shelves.......

I had checked into the whole deal as it seemed like a reasonable option and, also as I wanted to have a specific illustrator who had done work on the book stay with the book. (You never get to pick your illustrator unless you're mega famous.....) (sigh) and, no one (publisher) wants a book with illustrations due to Guild rules......

Ana-hoo......when all was said and done I found more pitfalls than not due to that and a long line of nickle and dime hidden fees.

Though, if you have the good fortune to travel and speak......it would probably be a great option as you'd have ready made customers who are usually on fire to bring a piece of you home.

In any case.....best of luck........

Ain't nothin' worser than havin' a manuscript fightin' t' gets out o' the treasure chest! B)

Fair Winds....

~Foxmorton

In my case, I've got so many people wanting to read my story when it's done, I've got a friggin' case of books sold! Gads I told them it had sex in it and everybody who knows me wants it!

I just haven't finished writing it yet! :lol:

Joseph O'Steen an author here on the boards as King's Pyrate sent me this info about 'print on demand,' which I will check out when the time comes.

www.lightensource.com

jadapress.com

lulu.com

Thanks one and all for your support, and yes I did think that my book was about to be published, but no word came from the person who I talked with about it. So I guess for the most part that meand I am on my own, Well not all alone, God is on my side after all.

Thanks Again for all your help!

Shana

Kendra2.jpg

"Courage is the decision to fly straight into the flame while knowing the consequences"~ The Adventures Of A Notorious Youth Capt. Hook

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving."~Lao Tzu 490-570 BC

---------

Yes, I am leaving the pub. I don't know when or if I will come back to this port. I will check in from time to time. Until then:

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

• 1 month later...

Kendra, I think I had mentioned to you a long, long time ago that there are self-publishing companies on the Web that don't charge an arm and leg...since I've lost all my old links, I'll have to ferret out the one that I was looking at, and I'll post the info for you.

The last book I had published by a conventional house was OK, but as was said earlier in this thread, they expect YOU to PR it, especially if you aren't Steven King. They also turn over a mere pittance for royalties.

Of course, what I've had published to date is in a very narrow field of interest, so take that into account.

In the meantime, look into POD - Print On Demand. It's the coming thing, I think, for people who can't invest thousands into stockpiling their own books for possible future sales.

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

Thanks Phil. Publish America has POD. On a good note someone at my church whose husband is the church treasurer is looking into for me (to make sure it is safe you know small print stuff. plus some else is giving me another publisher to try. So things are starting to look up! If you would like too look it up Publishamerica.com

Now I have another question, as I write this post the Song "Rich Girl" is playing. . .Is that somesort of poetic sign? *giggle*

Kendra2.jpg

---------

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

Now I have another question, as I write this post the Song "Rich Girl" is playing. . .Is that somesort of poetic sign? *giggle*

:lol:

Actually, as most of the well-known writers could attest, getting rich wasn't high on their list of reasons for writing...

It was the GROUPIES, man! :huh::lol:

And thanks for the info - I'll check them out...

~ Vegetius

I agree with Phil on Print-On-Demand, as it is a good way to go. A friend of mine is likely doing very well so far with his book through lulu.com, so that'd be a good site to check out (nods up to RumbaRue).

Also, if your book's topic is something you can bring up on websites and boards you frequent, definately try that if the owners are ok with it. I note the "you frequent" part, as it's sometimes easier to start informing folks of your book who are familiar with you, as opposed to aiming for anyone (in this arena).

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

Now I have another question, as I write this post  the Song "Rich Girl" is playing. . .Is that somesort of poetic sign?  *giggle*

:lol:

Actually, as most of the well-known writers could attest, getting rich wasn't high on their list of reasons for writing...

It was the GROUPIES, man! :huh::lol:

And thanks for the info - I'll check them out...

:huh::huh::huh: Yea Man!! You know that could be a good or bad thing depending on the author's subject matter :huh: One of my autor friend told me at one of his book signings that a beautiful blond woman came up and told him how wonderful he was and then shoved something into his hand and left. Whe he opened his hand, he saw a sticky note with a phone number attched to a pair of thong underware.

So see you wanabe rockers it happends to all us artistic types! :huh::huh:

Kendra2.jpg

---------

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

So see you wanabe rockers it happends to all us artistic types! :lol::lol:

Amen, Sister!

When my "T'ai Chi for Seniors" came out, I had to beat off the gray-haired arthritic women with a stick! :huh:

...and I'm not sure but that some of them actually enjoyed it...

~ Vegetius

Thank you Phil

Kendra2.jpg

---------

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1