The Watch Dog

William Brand

Flint looked at Hawkes for a moment chewing the inside of his right cheek, afraid to admit he might have missed. Not out of pride but rather because he knew well the kind of damage escaped prisoners cause, how they could become so vengeful that they could harry one worse than any blood hound.

"If I've missed I accept what punishment the company shall deem fit".

Jonathan knew from his tone it was Bill's final piece on the matter.

THIS CABIN-LAD'S GROWN HAGGARD, SO IN THE POT HE GOES AND FROM HIS SKIN WE'LL MAKE A LITTLE DRUM TO BEAT AS WE FIRE HUMAN HEADS FROM CANNONS AT OUR FOES. AND SET THE SEAS ABLAZE WITH BURNING RUM.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time passed and still the search continued for Tawny, his body not seen in the dark waters, had he drowned? Perhaps he was tangled in the lines of other ships and beneath the waters surface not to be discovered till anchor was weighed. It would be a gruesome discovery, fish food for however long he remained undiscovered. She shivered in the night winds and impatiently pushed back her hair her eyes tired but ever seeking the waters and most importantly scanning nearby ships for any such movement.

It was during one of these scans that she noticed the waking of the Cul du sac Port Royal and wondered over the town and how the search party would come across, but her attention was diverted by Sealegs bringing food to the decks and Luigi quickly climbing the rigging bringing her some victuals.

She gave a tired smile as he hailed her halfway up the rigging “Ciao Bella Mia! Be ye ‘ungry?” She nodded her head and returned the greeting “Ciao Luigi And Si I am very hungry.” As he climbed the rest of the way she took what he offered with thanks and Then bid him a Buono notte and settled back to quickly eat and still keep watch. She glanced down but once to see Luigi once more upon Deck and moving to the rail with the others to look out over the sea.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

Light filled the sky rapidly between two and four bells of Morning Watch. So little had transpired that William ordered the Starboard watches to bed, and Captain Lasseter and the Maastricht crews agreed to retire half of each of their crews to sleep. William and Dorian both remained awake to watch the efforts of the shore party and the lookouts, but no body or fleeing prisoner was discovered in that time.

There were however no shortage of onlookers, including some agitated locals who did not like English and Dutch speaking marines walking up and down the beachhead with loaded arms. Preston was caught up by this crowd of suspicious locals who assaulted him with searching questions, and with only Englishmen and Dutchmen in his company, he was at a loss to communicate sufficiently to answer all of the many queries hurled at him. Tudor, Owen and Preston pooled what French they had between them, but at one point they had miscommunicated their reasons for being there so poorly that the locals became quite threatening. With some patience, and some bravado, Preston managed to quiet them long enough to escape the continuous onslaught of words and return the shore party safely to the 'Dog.

William met him in the waist of the ship. "What news, Mister Pew?"

"None, sah. No sign of 'im."

"And that trouble ashore...?"

Mister Pew made a face and shook his head. "Mistranslation, sah. Seems we said that we'd come t' take prisoners..."

"...instead of searching for a lost one." William said, finishing his explanation. Preston nodded. "I understand. I am a veteran of mistranslations myself, Mister Pew."

"Sah, if there was a body..."

"I know." William said. "I know. We should have found it by now. We shall have to lay aside any speculation on this Tawny matter. We can't weary the watches this way."

Both men stood a moment in silence. William was trying to decide what efforts would be wasted or foolhardy and he weighed them against the awful possibility of a monster like Tawny loose on an unsuspecting populace.

"Sah, if I may...Give me Claude for 'is French and I can warn..."

William was already nodding his head. He did not want to send men ashore again, but he had to send someone or all the crew would be asking for this duty. "Of course, Mister Pew. Get yourself to the galley and eat and rest. You may go ashore again at eight bells. I shall fashion a document to explain your connection to the Watch Dog and your service to the French. And pick another man ere you go. I want three of you together armed at all times ashore, as much for your protection among a suspicious public as for your lives if Tawny should spring upon you unawares."

"I'll undo 'is spring a bit." Preston growled, then added. "Sah."

William smiled at this. "Remember to tell him to his face before he stops twitching that Jannes sends his regards."

"Aye, sah."

William dismissed Preston to eat and search out a man to accompany him and Claude. Owen, who had eavesdropped on the conversation, a thing he had a talent for, followed Preston to the galley.

"Let me be the third man, Mister Pew." Owen insisted, stooping in the galley door.

"Owen..." Pew began, holding out his hand and gesturing to the man with an expression that said 'Look at yourself'. "Y' can't stand up, man."

"That wound is days old and you won't let it heal." Lazarus agreed as he passed a bowl to the Master-at-Arms. Mister Pew took it nodding, and seeing how bent Owen was he now wondered that the man had come ashore with him the last few hours.

"Y' can't stand up straight." Preston repeated.

"I can shoot straight." Owen returned.

The Captain passed the galley on the way to the Ward Room just then and he interjected. "You have done your service for the day Mister Monahan. Have the Doctor refresh that bandage and consider yourself relieved of duty until I give you your duties back again."

Owen did not look happy. In fact, William couldn't remember a time when Owen looked more unhappy. If he had been bent a little before, he now looked utterly defeated.

"Go, man. Go with my thanks." William said patiently.

Owen nodded and even managed a salute meant mutually for the Captain and Master-at-Arms, but before he could cross the passageway, Miss Smith was there asking for the same grant of passage.

"Captain. I beg a place in any party sent to look for Tawny."

"You have already been ashore once before."

"Please, Sah."

William turned to the Master-at-Arms. "Mister Pew...?"

Preston was already eating and he waited a moment to answer. Tudor was not his first pick to go ashore again, not because she wasn't capable, and not because she was a woman. He was just considering more rested marines. Still, looking at her now, the thought of having a woman along stirred several ideas. She might draw out Tawny. Bait of a sort, but dangerous kind of bait. And besides, she had that look in her eyes. That look that was not Steward, but something else altogether. Tudor might just bring Tawny back in small pieces to pile alongside his ear, and Preston smiled at this thought.

"Aye, sah. Claude and Tudor will do fine."

Owen had already disappeared behind the closed door to the surgery.

July 28, 1704 - Aboard the Dog

Between four and five bells of Morning Watch

~Larboard Watches on Duty~

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

The sky was lighter but the sun had not risen, Murin McDonough was up early. She had not slept, or her sleep was sporadic at most. Thoughts of Tawny lurked in the shadows of her mind and every sound outside of the normal was suspect to the devil being back on board. She laid for the few hours between his ...death, she said a small prayer every time she doubted his demise, and dawn starring at the underside of the deck above her hammock.

Miss McDonough now walked the weather deck in her bare feet, a blanket wrapped around her shoulders against the mornings chill and a steaming mug of coffee cupped in her hands. There was no one in the galley when she was there and she had spoken to none since leaving the berth deck. She looked up at the watchers on their perches, wondering if there had been any sign of Tawny, and shivered. Closing her eyes and breathing deep the rich aroma of the dark liquid in the mug she cleared her mind of the night before and focused on what needed to be done today.

The Marines. Murin had a general idea of what was needed, she should finish taking measurements before going into town but it wasn't a necessity, most were done. Leather for the waistcoats may be hard to find on an island. She had no idea what resources were available on Martinique. She sighed, brought the hot liquid to her lips again and watched as the sky grew lighter.

Captain Lasseter paced the deck all night and into the morning. Now dressed better and his sword hanging at his side, he clasped his hands behind his back as he walked. His mood had not gotten better as the day progressed, as a point of fact, it darkened a bit since they had not found the escaped prisoner. The morning wore on, shifts changed, the sun rose up into the sky. At one point, Miss Moore brought him a mug of coffee. He inhaled the aroma deeply, gave her a smile and a nod and took a drink before continuing his pacing. The warm drink did not do much for his weariness, but as the temperature and the strength of the light rose he settled into the day. At two bells of the Forenoon Watch plans were made to have all aboard the Heron and Maastricht to be aboard the Watch Dog so that Captain Brand might address all at once.

Just after Two Bells of the Forenoon Watch

28 July, 1704

~Starboard Watch on Duty~

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

July 28, 1704

Just before three bells of Forenoon Watch

Mister Pew and his shore party waited anxiously in the waist of the 'Dog. Despite little sleep, the duties of the previous day, and a more previous night, they looked well prepared to do a little 'hunting'. They were dressed in a simple fashion which belied no urgency. Mister Pew was dressed plain, but for the fine pistol which had been gifted to him earlier and a one of the better muskets from the armory. Tudor was dressed for travel and it was neither too feminine nor to manly. She carried two crossed pistols sashed in at her waist, reminiscent of times before. Claude was the only one of the three dressed in the fashion of the French, but in a subtle way which did not make him stand apart from the others.

William met them amidships and passed a purse of coin from the ship's coffers into the Master-at-Arm's hands.

"To your new duty, Mister Pew. I shall pass the charge of the marines to Eric in your absence. Think not of bells or watches. If you must rest ashore until you have discovered some evidence of our prisoner, alive or dead, then do so."

"Aye, Captain."

William went to say more, but the Maastricht was lowering a boat to bring the crew from there to the Watch Dog. Bill Flint was standing there at the rail of the fluyt near Manus Hingerty and William was reminded of Bill's stature, for he stood half a foot over the man beside him.

"Mister Pew, I'm giving you Mister Flint for your journey."

Prestion looked passed Tudor and Claude and across to the tall Englishmen at the rail. He said nothing for a moment and there was some reservation in his look. He countered the Captain's offer with a question.

"For his French, sah?"

William had not considered this when choosing the tall marine, and while it would benefit the shore party, he shook his head. "For his height. It might serve you better than this." he added as he handed Preston the documents that would connect him to the Watch Dog and the purposes regarding the prisoner Tawny.

"Aye, Sah." Preston said so casually, that William was struck by how easily the man settled into every responisbility given him. Preston looked no more concerned with the duty of tracking Tawny to his end than if William had put him on an errand against the whole of England. He snapped off a salute and ordered Tudor and Claude over the side into the waiting dingy.

The shore party ferried their way over to the Maastricht, where Bill was preparing to descend from the rail there. William watched their interchange from his place on the 'Dog's quarterdeck and for the first time he wondered for Tawny's chances. The prisoner was now faced with Preston's drive, Claude's calm, Tudor's resolve and the newly recruited giant, all who might find him wounded and cornered by the day's end.

The Jollywatt of the Heron made four trips to ferry the men to the Watch Dog, the last trip bore the captain and the satchels full of the sorted shoe buckles, shoes and other assorted trinkets stripped from the departing prisoners. Captain Lasseter was still dressed very much as he had been all night, but with the addition of his hat and sandals. The small boat had come along side of the frigate and the parcels taken aboard, then at the bidding of their captain departed, leaving him to be the last to come aboard. Captain Brand stood in the waist, welcoming everyone aboard. As Dorian’s head cleared the rail, William gave him a hand over.

“Captain Lasseter, welcome aboard…”

“Cap’n Brand… Thankee kindly…”

Both men nodded at each other, William sweeping his hand to the side. Dorian bowed his head and smiled.

“On no Cap’n… by all means, lead th’ way…”

William slowly smiled and bowed a shallow bow from the waist. He turned and headed towards the quarterdeck and Dorian followed. Once there, he assumed his old post of Quartermaster for what was to commence. Captain Brand waived Jim Warren foreward with the ledger he carried, and took said tome from the man. Jim gave a salute and retreated to his former place. William allowed the ledger to fall open to a well worn section and scanned down the pages. His eyes settled on the top of the first page and he read it to himself, even though he knew the words by heart. ‘Articles of the Watch Dog’…

Three Bells of the Forenoon Watch

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

Miss McDonough stood with Nathan Bly in the waist; she seemed always to be with Nathan. They stood with Paul Mooney discussing Bill Flint after sighting him departing with Mister Pew and the others. Both she and Nathan knew the large man was able to take care of himself, felt the entire shore party fit for such a mission but worried about the danger of the situation. The man they sought was not predictable, his chilling giggle as he shot over the rail to the water below was not the only evidence of that. The men, left dead or incapacitated for no reason other than revenge, or perhaps the joy of the reprobate spoke volumes. Silently, Murin worried that Nathan, like Paul could soon loose a brother.

The lass began to contemplate what she was to do for the day now that Mister Pew was otherwise occupied until further notice. The two of them were to have gone ashore to make the needed arrangements for the Marine uniforms. She could not go alone for she knew no French. She could not report to either man involved in the situation because they had both gone ashore. Before her thoughts could become tangled in the relatively minor details of her conundrum Captain’s Brand and Lasseter Mounted the stairs and took their places, as oft before, on the quarterdeck. The crew waited in anticipation, knowing what was to come. Many had seen the ledger that Mister Warren handed Captain Brand only a few weeks ago as they stood on deck at LaBanquilla. It was then that Murin realized that there was plunder from the Maastricht! The Captain’s words to her just yesterday came to her, "You will have five times that at least by week's end." She could afford the hat of her choice and much more with what she already had! Her existence before now was meager. Even in her relative freedom in Ballycastle life was hard, living simple, and what was needed was not always at hand. To “want” something more than existence was unheard of. What additional needs had she?!

Murin jumped and let out a muffled squeal as Mooney jabbed into her ribs with his elbow bringing her back to the Watch Dog. Suprised by her reaction barely contained laughter shook Mister Bly and Mister Mooney on either side of the lass. Murin chided the two lads with a look. Then noticing the crowd she found the trio was the center of attention and a blush washed upwards from her neck to her freckled forehead. The crowd shuffled, some smiled in embarrassment for the girl some rolled their eyes but all soon turned to the Quarterdeck to her dismay Miss McDonough found herself making eye contact with Captain Brand. Her embarrassment doubled and her blush rose noticeably, she diverted her eyes in haste. Furrowing her barely visible eyebrows at Paul and Nathan she remained silent yet her stare was seething with anger at the two of them. Nathan swore later that if he looked closely he could see steam coming from her ears.

As William read the articles aloud, he touched on several key points within the articles. When he had read them throughout, he returned to one or two items of importance on the subject of shares, prizes and duties. William reminded the whole company that the shares of the Ilex fortune could not be divided until the many separate items within it could be sold ashore.

"Any man or woman who does not return again to the 'Dog or Heron in their duty, shall forfeit their shares to the whole company until the Maastricht and the Ilex fortunes have been sold and divided. Any one of you might leave the safety and company of the 'Dog thereafter, but anyone who leaves their duties and fails to return to the ships in their proper revolution shall see neither specie or prize.

You are a working crew, and that cost which the Watch Dog herself suffered in the taking of prizes shall be repaid in repairs, so while we are at port you shall enjoy all of the hospitalities of drink and company, but you shall also labor in the repair and refit of this vessel and the Maastricht. It may be that we shall not fully refit the Maastricht prior to her auction, but some repairs, both to edify and to secure her sale will be made in order to assure us of a healthy reward.

Mister McGinty and Miss Tribbiani are to step now forward and select arms from among those taken in reward for sighting sail of prizes, for as it states in article III, 'Whomsoever of the said Company shall first spy a Sail and the same prove to be a Prize sufficient to make them a Voyage, they shall Therefore have the best Pistol or Small Arm aboard of her...' and so they shall have first pick, starting with Mister McGinty."

John McGinty stepped forward with a grin as wide as the Cul du Sac Royal. He looked at several pieces before plucking up a pistol that was carved all over with hunting scenes and fixed with a lock and springs of fine workmanship. He held it up just a little as he looked towards Ciaran to see what the older lookout would make of it. Ciaran came forward and examined the pistol and they discussed its merits. Ciaran agreed that it was a fine piece, but more for court than purpose and he recommended another. John eventually chose a well made Dutch pistol, which was a little less fair to look at for its carvings, but well made and of a better craftsmanship as a weapon.

Miss Tribbiani was more hesitant in her choice, for there were many weapons to choose from. She chose and replaced twice as many weapons as John, going from arm to arm until she had thoroughly examined many of them. Having a very good musket already, like every other marine, she went for something more delicate, choosing a piece that reminded her of Italian designs, though it was of French origins. It was a well made piece of a lighter caliber, fixed with a belt hook and a matching set of tools. It bore a combination of inlay and filigree in subtle geometric and floral patterns. She held it up in William's direction as if to ask 'I think I should like this one, if that is alright'.

William shrugged. "It's your choice." There were a few chuckles about the deck which caused her to smile and she tucked the pistol into her belt.

"The Doctor shall have all Medicines and Instruments belonging to any Doctor that shall be taken." William continued, returning to the second article, and he looked in the direction of Tempest and Chanault. "I took the liberty of examining Van Zandt's instruments, Doctor, and they were not of such fine craftsmanship as those already in your possession, so I let them go with the prisoners...but for some rare items which have been set aside for your perusal."

Tempest smiled, and inclined her head a little. She was indeed possessed of a very well stocked cabinet and case of fine medical instruments. One would be hard pressed to find a better surgery in the theater of the world, and so she simply smiled and inclined her head.

"I have also kept some redundant instruments for use aboard the Heron."

"Pensif et complet, capitaine." she said, nodding again.

"That reward of two shares which shall go to 'whoever enters first on boarding a Prize in an Engagement, and strikes her Colours' shall be divided among the first boarders who went across to the Maastricht together, including our Steward, Miss Tudor who braved the quarterdeck. These shares are to be used for consumption of drink ashore..." he said smiling, then added. "...for I am certain that it shall be used for no other purpose ashore than to drink and dice."

There were chuckles at this, and perhaps some nods of approval, for many a man and woman had crossed simultaneously that day and might have thought themselves deserving alone of the two shares. With it spread among the brave first, none could find fault, especially with the Captain's assurance of pubs and gambling.

"There, in some tavern ashore, you brave few might drink a toast to one another."

There was a chorus of agreement in mixed fashion and William turned to the matter of those men aboard who would not have shares, signing aboard as they did after the battle.

"Those of you who have agreed to join us, who were before prisoners, shall not see the greater reward of shares. You shall however have a choice of pistols and clothing for your use along with the rest of the company, but after they have chosen first. No pistol which can be proved to belong to you before will be allowed to go into the hands of another without your consent. You possessions from before are yours."

William paused to let the translation pass to the those who spoke no English and to let the matter sink in. Then he turned to the matter of the deceased who was shrouded somewhere below decks.

"It also falls to us this day to bury and divide. I am certain by now that all aboard the 'Dog today have heard of the death of Jannes Mijneere. He was killed during the malicious and sudden flight of the prisoner calling himself Tawny. You may also know already that the corpse or living person of Tawny has not as yet been discovered. Misters Pew, Marchande and Flint have gone ashore with Miss Smith to find him and kill him. They may not discover him. He may or may not be dead. Irregardless, Jannes Mijneere's belongings shall go before the mast for auction, that the profit of which might go to the whole company, including those who have recently joined, unless a will shall dictate otherwise."

William sent for the man's few belongings. It was then indeed discovered that Jannes had had the foresight to create a will, and indeed, several Dutchmen were the sole recipients of his small fortune. Two good sailors knives, a bible, some small items of worth and mixed coin went to Anthony Coipman, Loures Loerwairt and Klaas Scymmelpenninck, and satisfied that this business of Jannes Mijneere's estate was complete, William proceeded to other matters.

First, he allowed the officers and crew to come forward in turn and pick shoes, clothing and arms. Any of the company who did not possess a good knife and one good pistol were allowed to chose one for their use and protection ashore. Many men and women were seen afterwards, carving their names in the newly acquired arms.

One such pistol, chosen by Harold Press, had belonged in fact to Simon Dunwalt, but he made no protest about ownership, for he had his eyes on another piece. He explained the distinct properties of the pistol to Harold, who was glad of it.

Soon, all of the crew down to the last Dutchman had chosen clothing, shoes and arms from among the sacks, leaving only a third untouched. Some crew members changed immediately into better shirts and slops, unconscientious of the mixed company on deck, and much to the embarrassment of a few ladies aboard ship. Dorian ordered the remainder of the clothes and the ones now discarded to be divided and bagged again.

With all of Lawrence Dinwiddle's belongings going to Paul Mooney by will and since Thomas Fitch was possessed of no personal belongings of worth, there were no auctions held before the mast that day. Shares from the Apollo had already been divided in coin and so the business of money and prizes was temporarily suspended until more could be sold ashore.

Petee Younglbood was instructed to take the Apollo's cannon ashore for sale at the earliest convenience, depending on which watch should have the prize of going ashore first. He was to secure the best price to be dived as shares, which might be brought again whenever he returned from shore.

Murin McDonough was asked to assist the Quartermaster turned Captain in the sale of all clothing, that the best price might be had, though much of clothing was old and past use. They together would determine if any clothing should be kept aboard for laborers or against the day when it might be needed later and sell the rest.

"Article thirteen states, 'That none of the Crew shall go on Shore till the Ship is off the Ground..." William continued, "...and in readiness to put to Sea, unless the Ship be abandoned by all for Thrift or some other Purpose'. The 'Dog is well enough that she might travel, but repairs must be made to her and anyone who fails to report again to the ship after having been ashore, shall be punished accordingly. I will allow watches ashore despite the necessity of repairs aboard this ship, but this privilege shall be revoked from anyone who remains ashore in their turn."

William waited for this to sink in. He wanted them to understand that rest was allowed, but labor was still required, at least for anyone wishing to stay aboard the two ships in the future.

"Those who excel in their efforts to restore this vessel and improve both the Heron and the prize for sale, shall be remembered in mine and the Captain Lasseter's favor hereafter."

Dorian nodded to emphasize this statement.

"All other articles as they stand shall be observed while on this ship. Please also refrain from such actions ashore which may or can endanger the lives of your fellow crew members and these ships. Keep good council of one another and see to the protection of each other ashore.

Tawny, that prisoner who so recently destroyed one of our own, may be somewhere about. You have permission from a grateful Captain or two to shoot this man on sight and claim him a prisoner. Be mindful of him while in any dark or unfamiliar place ashore."

William then reached into his pocket and drew out a piece of Apollo in the form of one very round, gold coin.

"The first watch ashore shall be determined by the toss of this coin. Watches of all three ships are already divided by Larboard and Starboard to go ashore."

There was a quiet then which made William smile, for he had never had so much of their attention altogether as he had now. He placed the coin on his thumb and flipped it, catching it on his hand and slapping it against the other. He left it covered as he said, "Starboard shall have heads and Larboard, tails."

He uncovered the coin and looked up again. "Starboard shall have the first night ashore."

This was followed by cheers and groans, and for every disappointed face, there was a happy one. William waited a moment and then he raised his hand for silence.

"However..." he began. "...the Larboard Watch shall have the day."

This was met by some surprised faces and William waited for their full attention again. "The Larboard Watch shall go ashore at eight bells of the Forenoon Watch. They shall have the whole of the Afternoon Watch and most of the First Dog Watch. At the beginning of the Second Dog Watch, the Starboard crews shall go ashore. There you may remain. All night if need be." There were many chuckles and not a few lewd gestures at this. " You must return by noon of the next day, or forfeit your good favor. In this way, each watch enjoys the long privilege of those joys which may be had or purchased ashore, but with the understanding that some small work is required of you each day. Am I understood?"

'Aye-ayes' went up from all quarters.

Once all was said and done by Captain Brand, those of the larboard watch were smiling and making ready for their time ashore. Mister Lasseter waited a moment or two and watched as those of the starboard watch headed back to their duties, some being pulled for the duty of raising the Apollo’s guns from the hold, while others were already sizing up the work to be done to refit the frigate. Miss McDonough stood fast by the piles of discarded clothing and other goods, her eyes occasionally drifting to where he stood. Satisfied that all was moving along, he turned and headed to the waist, to the waiting Ships Taylor. He smiled kindly at her, knowing she was in a way shy around the officers, hoping to make her feel a bit more comfortable. She blushed slightly as they spoke in short sentences, dividing the clothes into piles of good and bad. The Watch Dog had a slop chest in the hold, where some extra clothes were already stored. Dorian noted that what they had in the good pile were in better shape than what he remembered to be in the slop chest below. Murin suggested that they keep these good clothes and take what was in the slop chest and sell all the rest. A smile again spread across the Quartermaster’s face.

“Excellent Miss McDonough… I believe I’ll be headed ashore in a short time… Hmmm… yer on duty at present I believe… Have the clothes we’re to keep sent below, and all that we’re to sell made into bundles to be taken ashore… When I’m ready I’ll come back to th’ “Dog to take you an’ the bundles ashore, then we’ll have that out of th’ way…”

She smiled, then checked herself, knuckling he forelock.

“Aye Quarterma, er, Cap’in Lasseter.”

Again she blushed, having bobbled his title. Dorian smiled again, hoping to put her at ease. Then nodded.

“Aright, you ‘ave yer orders…”

He turned away and headed belowdecks to his old quarters. There he gathered all he had from his desk, putting it into his sea chest and locked it. He went back into the waist and called over Loures Loerwairt and Patrick Hand, giving them the duty of hauling his sea chest out to be taken aboard the Heron. While they were doing that, he took stock of what other items were to go ashore for sale or barter, made notations on a scrap of parchment and tucked it into his pocket. All those from the Heron were gathered in the waist where he addressed them. All were to report back to the Heron, then those up for time ashore would be allowed departure. His orders were understood and soon the jollywatt was ferrying the men back to the cutter, along with his sea chest and other goods to remain aboard the small ship. The last of the crew departed, he waited for the boat to return, as he did so, he turned his face to the sun and closed his eyes. The warmth felt good on his already tanned skin. He knew not how long he stood in such away, but he heard the splash of a sweep and broke from his basking to see the jollywatt just about to come along side the frigate. He watched as Mister Brant grabbed onto the chains, then was over the side, and quickly in the sternsheets. The trip was short, shoes men on the sweeps wanted to be headed ashore as soon as possible and were happy to put their backs into the work.

Once back aboard his ship, Captain Lasseter saw to his sea chest, making sure it was stowed in the wardroom, and then gathered what he needed to head ashore. He checked the sandglass to find it was nearing the change of watch, nearing eight bells of the forenoon. Setting his gathered items aside, he headed below again, shook off his sandals and hurriedly pulled on his stockings and shoes. He just opened the door when the bells began to toll. The bustle of activity that met him on deck was quite loud, even compared to battle. He chuckled, knowingly, as he had been there before. He had been a carefree sailor in years gone by. When he was noticed, the men became subdued, to which he gave them a look.

“Go on then…. Keep in mind wot was said on the Watch Dog!”

Smiles reappeared, and the noise level went back up as some lads went over the side into the boat, soon to be headed to the wharf next to the fort where they would then over run the town of Fort Royal. Another turn of the glass and all the Larboard watch was off the Heron. As the Jollywatt returned, Dorian picked up his ledger and headed to the side. Down into the boat he went and ordered it to the frigate to pick up Miss McDonough and all the parcels and satchels.

First bell of the Afternoon Watch

28 July, 1704

Cul-de-Sac, Martinique

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

As the Samson headed due south for the small town of Bourg de Cul Vache, several pairs of eyes continued to scan the surface for anything that may have come from the bilge rat Tawny. I moved the satchel from one hip to the other, now inboard of the jollywatt. Opening the leather bag, I pulled out the small roll of parchment that the Captain had given me and opened the cover. Several documents were wrapped and then tied together by a thin piece of leather. Separating the documents, I leafed through them quickly settling on a map of Martinique. I looked up from the map to the shore several times trying to gain my bearings.

“Bourg de Cul Vache,” Claude said as he pointed to the steeple spire rising above the tree tops. Heads previously looking about now turned and faced the town proper.

“Aye, ‘tis where we shall begin,” I said quietly. I turned and looked east for signs of the other small towns as Captain Brand had scribed. Hamlets dotted the country hillside, each with wisps of smoke rising near them. Thick pockets of palm lined the beaches as many boats lay on their side waiting for the rising tide. Closer to shore, we pass the many shallow draft piroguas trying to catch their mid-afternoon meal with a chance toss of the net.

As we reached a long dock several dark skinned men sit about mending nets and gutting the mornings catch. Claude cups his hands and calls out to the men. Many of whom had already risen from their work to see us arrive in the small port. A rope tossed to us quickly gets wrapped around the cleat as its match is tied to the stern. Claude is the first to stand on the pier and quickly finds himself in a heated conversation with one of the older fishermen. I step onto the wharf and try to decipher the problem.

Claude cocks his head to the side, and tries to follow the man’s argument, “’e says we cannot tie zee Samson ‘ere because…because…” Claude squints and cannot understand the man’s tirade. I open another pouch in the satchel and pull a few coins. The man slows, but continues his rage. “For fek’s sake, wot in th’ bloody ‘ell is it?” I yell at the man.

With a loud thud, the butt of Bill Flint’s musket lands solid on the wharf. The man peers over my shoulder to see the figure of Bill stand tall on the pier. His tattooed forearms bulge as he changes his grip on the musket and approaches myself and Claude. The man’s jaw drops and stares at the marine. “Is there a problem Mister Pew?” asks Mister Flint. The man does not change his gaze at Bill Flint. I look back at Bill and then to the man. “Not anymore Bill. Not anymore.” I tuck a few coins in the man’s vest pocket as Tudor and Bill make their way ashore. Claude shakes his head, and mumbles, “imbécile” as we pass the growing throng on the wharf to see the “géante blanc”.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

The tailor looked after Mister Lasseter as he departed. She felt strangely akin to the Celt that headed her rescue though she would never have said so to the officer. The first face of the Watch Dog to greet her ...and Ana, she sighed.

Sorting through the pile of better clothing a second time was quick work and in no time she had chosen the best for the slops chest even setting aside a pair hose for herself and shoes to replace the extremely worn ones on her feet. She would first ask if the exchange was alright but her feet were blistered from walking in the old shoes without hose yesterday and she suspected that not only would it be alright to make the exchange but Mister Lasseter would likely chide her for not having said something sooner.

Miss McDonough found another tar to help her transport the clothing to the chest in the hold. She inventoried what she placed in the chest being sure that there was a wide variety of sizes and as many complete kits of each size as would fit into the trunk. Once done rather than call for help she decided to transport the load herself.

Hefting what had been removed from the trunk she began the climb to the weather deck. She had not anticipated the shoes sliding off the top of the pile or that in the attempt to grab the shoes before they fell to the stairs the clothing in her arms would tumble also. Laughing at her folly she gathered the garments folding and stacking them. When nearly finished she called out "Oi! Some assistance?" A blond head poked out above her, it was one of the younger lads from the Maastricht. "Ken ya elp mae lad?" He cocked his head and gave her a quizzical look. "Help ...errr ...I need t'get deze, frum ere," She pointed to the pile of clothing then to the hatch opening above them. "T'd'deck." He smiled in recognition and nodded as he bound down the stairs towards her. Murin loaded his outstretched arms. Then after tying the few pairs of shoes in a shirt she gathered the remaining clothes and lead the way up the companion way.

Eric Franklin

The Captain took Eric Franklin aside and discussed with him a daunting task of sending to the Heron a full supply of small arms for the crew and marines aboard.

“Mister Franklin, I need you to create a proper armory for the Heron. Captain Lasseter will need to have a full compliment, not just our leftovers.”

“Aye, Captain, a full armoury. No worries Captain.” Eric Franklin saluted the Captain.

"Take whom you may need. They shall have a respite from their assigned duties." The Captain clasped his hands behind his back and inhaled deeply. "Eric stood as if waiting for more from the Captain. "Carry on Mister Franklin."

"Aye sah." Eric snapped off a quick salute and spun about to head to the armoury. His first stop was to see Mister Gage for a plate of vittles and a cup of brewed darkness. He was unable to fill his tankard, but was proffered a bottle for his luck. A nod from the ship's cook sent Eric on his way to the armoury.

Eric entered the shared cabin and placed his food on the desk. Lighting the shaded lantern, he opened the small door to the armoury, now rife with small arms from both captured ships. He inhaled deepely and placed the lantern on the desk. Eric couldn't immediately find the ship's armoury log, so he took Preston's copy from the cabin's desk. Turning about quickly, he knocked the book into the bulkhead and it fell onto the ground revealing a small faded parchment. He knelt and picked it up, unfolding it in the light of the lantern.

12 March 1704

Preston,

It pains me to deliver this to you in ink, but alas son, we know not where you have been for the last few years. Word reached us you have been seen in the Carib and we have sent this post haste with Mister Claiborne in hopes of finding you.

Your mother has taken gravely ill. I have resigned my commission to be with her in her last moments. Mister Nickerson has done all he can and can do no more but to make her comfortable.

She is in God's hands now. Pray for her Preston.

Your Father,

Col. Thaddeus Ellerry Whitingford

"Bloody hell," was all that Eric could manage.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

July 28, 1704 - Aboard the Watch Dog

At anchor on the Cul du Sac Royal

The laborers of the Starboard watch were kept so busy, that as the afternoon progressed, no one was given enough rest to think about the Larboard Watch already ashore. William pushed them to every new duty, from the quarter galley repairs, to the upkeep of the weatherdecks.

With the Master Carpenter ashore from the 'Dog, Alder Wenge was called over to serve as a supervisor on the repairs to the frigate. He was a polite fellow and well spoken. William took to him almost immediately and was glad of a second craftsman. Alder went to work so quickly, that William and he exchanged almost no words at all, but this freed the Captain up to move about the ship and survey the work which was ongoing.

Murin brought up the clothing which had been gleaned from the Maastricht, 'Dog and Heron during this time. It was placed in the shelter under the forecastle deck, and with that duty done, William gave her the temporary duty of serving as Steward in Tudor's absence.

She took to this with her usual mix of duty and awkwardness, passing messages from William to the other crew members and fetching food and drink to the laborers.

Petee Youngblood had each of the Apollo guns brought up onto the deck and his gunnery crew cleaned them so well, that one or two of them looked freshly cast. William and he stood around them afterwards, and it was agreed that some extra portion of the profits to come from them, should go to improvements to the other great guns of the Watch Dog, as well as a drink or two for the gunnery crews.

"They're fine, Mister Youngblood." William said, still shaking his head and admiring the look of the prize guns.

"Thank you, sah." Petee returned, packing the bowl of his pipe for an afternoon puff.

"We shall fetch a good price from them, I should think."

"Permission t' put the lads t' work on the Maastricht's guns, sah?"

"Permission granted."

- - -

And so the afternoon went, with hard work yielding profit and repairs, all under a sun which fell on one of the fairest ports William had ever seen. The citadel, with its high walls and French banners flying, cast a long shadow on the docks below, but the red roofed town of St. Louis was already in the afternoon sun. The palm trees were everywhere and the high jungle of the surrounding hills made the place so green it hurt one's eyes.

It was hard for the laborers who were sometimes on deck, not to look at the many inviting places. The avenues of St. Louis, seen even so far away, looked ever so inviting.

William drew out his watch and examined it. He gave a nod to Jim Warren who was tapping out the last of the sand in the glass near the ship's bell. All across the Cul du sac Royal, peeled the bells of many a ship and the 'Dog's bell answered back.

Four bells of the Afternoon Watch

~Starboard Watches on Duty~

The jollywatt headed across the void between the ships to collect the parcels to be sold, along with the Ships Taylor. As they approached Dorian shielded his eyes and looked up to the deck, expecting to see Miss McDonough to be ready and waiting to go ashore. When he did not see her waiting in the waist, he scanned the decks fore and aft. Still he did not see her. As they bumped against the hull of the frigate, he called up to the deck.

“Ahoy the deck! Where away is Miss McDonough?”

A moment later Captain Brand poked his head over the side. He touched his fingers to his hat.

“Captain Lasseter… She is acting as my Steward in Miss Smith’s absence for the moment.”

“Ah…. I see… well then, permission to come aboard?”

“Granted, of course, Captain…”

Dorian spanned the gap and started up the side, easily crossing the rail and on to the main deck.

“How long til her duties as Steward are finished, so we may head ashore?”

William shrugged slightly.

“Not long…”

“Alright… might I have some of the lads transfer th’ clothes n’ such inta th’ boat?”

With a nod, he turned and directed two lads to do just that.

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Once the initial shock of Captain Brands request had worn off Murin rather enjoyed the temporary assignment. It had never been easy for her to serve in silence and she was now reveling in the opportunity to interact as an equal. The girl also found that after a short time she was able to enjoy the company of the Captain and was more than pleased to spend time as his steward. Just after four bells Miss McDonough came topside again to report to Captain Brand. She spied him with Captain Lasseter mounting the quarterdeck, feeling unusually confident the lass sprinted up the stairs to the holy ground and saluted smartly “Capn's.”

As the two captains reached the Quarterdeck, caught up in conversation about what was to hopefully be accomplished this day, they did not see Miss McDonough fly up the steps. She caught their attention when she saluted. They stood for a moment looking at her, just a split second to long for comfort, and her confidence wavered until they both smiled. Dorian touched his fingers to his hat and inclined his head, William bowed slightly and spoke.

“Welcome to the quarterdeck Miss McDonough… What have you to report?”

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Eric Franklin

Eric folded the note and placed in back in one of the rear pages. He tried to go about his task, but knowing Preston's full name was now eating him up. Privacy was a small commodity on a ship at sea for months, everyone knew the smallest amount held the largest effect. Even still, it was found by accident. "Damn," Eric muttered to himself as his conscience waged war on itself. Preston's name had never truly been revealed to the crew, nor even the Captain. "Could be a matter o' security, mayhaps he's been persued," he thought. "Then why would he be master-at-arms o'the ship?" he argued to himself. "Blast you Preston Whitingford."

Eric smiled and flipped through several pages and found the marks from when he and Preston completed the inventory of both prizes. Running his finger down the page he took another bite of bread and cheese. He began to calculate how many arms would truly need to be offloaded. Eric took a pull from the bottle by his foot and looked again at Preston's letter. Eric took another swig and sighed hard.

Wharf of Fort Royal

Men from the Watch Dog and Heron departed from the ships boats and began to make their way inland to the Town of Fort Royal. Among the Heron’s crew, Nigel Brisbane, Boatswain, lead the small group from the Heron, even though up until very recently half of the men were crew of the Watch Dog, and the other half newly signed members from the captured Cutter, they all were ‘Heron’s’ now. They traded quips with their brethren of the ‘Dog, yet remained separate from them after a fashion, their was a noticeable gap between the groups of men as they wound their way into the community. Even when a tavern was found that was up to the ‘standards’ of the crew, those off the Heron decided to keep moving, to find a tavern all their own. The Heron’s crew headed further along a main street, passing shops and one or two of the lads would stop, so the rest would loiter about, waiting for either interest to be lost, or a purchase to be made. By the time another good establishment of drink was found, several of the men had new items of clothing or other baubles and sundry items. They filed into the tavern of choice and ignored the looks of the regular customers, took over a table and the libations began to flow.

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

July 28, 1704 - Aboard the Watch Dog

Between four and five bells of the Afternoon Watch

Murin was not sure how to report at first. She had visited each end of the ship carrying messages to and from the various members of the Starboard Watch, so she simply explained what she had witnessed there. She grew confident with the telling, for the Captain nodded as she went.

She explained that Alder Wenge was removing sections of timber in the quarter galley which could not be mended as they were, explaining, as Alder had explained to her, that some of the planks and beams were too splintered to be joined with any replacements. He was therefore in the process of sawing away the damage in sections.

She spoke of Eric Franklin at work in the armory, choosing those weapons for the Heron that would be needed aboard the cutter.

According to Miss McDonough, Ajayi was still mending in the surgery, and more patiently than most of Tempest's charges did. He seemed content to let Tempest and Chanault tell him what was best, and so the Yoruban was sleeping in the ward at present.

Meg Wardell was also content to remain there, and any superficial harm she had suffered was past. Murin informed the Captain that Miss Wardell was well aware of Tawny's escape, but she was already more herself since the incident with the prisoner.

She touched on other matters, but since they were merely the housecleaning details of a ship at anchor, William said it was enough. He thanked her for her service, and with work progressing well aboard ship, William released Miss McDonough into the charge of Captain Lasseter, should he require her for work ashore.

~Starboard Watches on Duty~

Dorian thanked William and turned to Murin.

“A’right Miss McDonough… All’s aboard th’ boat, ‘cept you n’ me… an’ anything ya need fer headin’ ashore…”

He waited as she thought about what she might need ashore. She nodded.

“Aye Sur, I jus’ need te get some tings from b’low.”

“Very well… I shall be amidships waiting to help ya inta th’ Heron’s boat.”

“Aye-aye Cap’n…. an’ Cap’n”

She knuckled her forelocks to both Dorian and William and departed their company for the lower decks. Dorian turned to William.

“Well now… Dunno how long we’ll be… I do plan on comin’ back b’fore night falls, but…. One never knows…”

He chuckled and had a wicked grin on his face. William, reading his thoughts began to chuckle himself, causing further mirth to be generated until both men were laughing heartily. Once they settled, Dorian caught his breath.

“Per’aps I’ll stay ashore th’ night… it’ll take me that long ta get accustomed ta walkin’ on land… Ha’en’t been ashore in far too long… far too long indeed…”

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"Captain's prerogative." William said, chuckling.

They stood a moment or two watching the crew of the 'Dog at work mending and moving materials about the ship. William looked out towards the Heron. "This business of calling the Heron 'the Heron'..."

Dorian raised an eyebrow in question. William walked to the side of the ship facing the Heron and gestured towards the cutter with a nod. "She's yours now...as much as she is the whole company's. Do you plan to rename her? That lies within your prerogative as well."

Captain Lasseter thought for a moment or two about what William had said about renaming the Heron. He rubbed his chin while he thought.

“Actually William…. I had thought on that when the decision was made ta keep ‘er… Can’t jus’ go off n’ paint out ‘er name an’ paint in a new one… Oh no… Mayhaps… once she be put to rights, fix wot bit o’ damage remains… If there be time for a proper ceremony… then we’ll see about tha’…. “

William was quiet for a time, studying Dorian’s words and slowly began to nod.

“Aye… agreed… if there’s time here we shall do just that… if not, then at our next port of call… Having thought about this, do you have a name already considered?”

Again, Dorian rubbed his chin for a time before speaking.

“She’s a fine ship… I was hopin’ ta wait til we see ‘er under fire… she sails better’n most… dunno how she handle with ‘er guns a’blazin’… Lucy… mebee…”

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Once in the berth Murin donned her brown waistcoat and the sword belt. On that she hung her sailor knife and another pouch that held an assortment of items. She then counted out some coin into a small pouch, looped the long leather thong around her neck and tucked the pouch inside her shirt. Paul Mooney had agreed to loan her his brown hat for today’s trek into town so she grabbed that on her way past placing it over the hair gathered atop her head and continued up the companionway carrying the shoes and hose she wished to borrow from the slops chest.

No longer Captain Brand’s steward she remained in the waist below the quarterdeck waiting for the captains to take notice once again. After a long moment the lass piped up. “Capn’? ”

The two men turned to see who was addressing whom. Captain Brand smiled to see the familiar sight of the lass looking like a lad once again. Captain Lasseter’s face reflected a lack of recognition. Miss McDonough held the hose and shoes out, “Sur?” she paused “Woo'dit b’perrmessible fer mae t’borrow deeze frum d’sloups chest?” Captain Brand looked to Captain Lasseter to answer. Captain Lasseter still unaware of the identity of the lad before him furrowed his eyebrow a bit “Err, ...yes.” the lad took a seat on the step and started to pull a stocking over a bare foot. Dorian looked to William lifting an eyebrow in question. William's smile grew into restrained laughter as he mouthed “Murin McDonough” Dorian’s eyes widened, a grin spread across his face as he rolled his eyes and silently laughed at himself. The hat had obscured the girls face and the poorly fitted clothing, her womanly figure, he would have never guessed her identity at this angle.

Ashore at Bourg de Cul Vache

As the small party meandered through the town, Bill's size was creating a growing crowd. Several smaller children would run up to him and then stop when they saw how large he truly was. Tudor and Bill would stop so often and try to shoo the young pickpockets who did get that far trying to get there grubby hands on what they could.

Claude and I went among the samll bodegas and carts trying to get any information on the whereabouts of Tawny. Shrugging shoulders and shaking heads met us at every turn.

We sought refuge from the heat and sunlight in a tavern near the edge of town.

Darkened, even in Caribbean sunlight, each of us kept a steady hand on the pistol as we entered the pub. Claude and Tudor entered first each checking the corners of the square room for any signs of trouble. Bill shoved off the last street urchin and we made our way into the bar. He stood near the door, out of sight and Tudor took a spot leaning on the bar with one eye trained on the door. Claude and I began to ask the barkeep about the scrawny bilge rat.

A flame lit up in the pipe of a man in the corner.

"Zees Tawny you zay. May he 'ave zee last name?" The man spoke and smoke clouded his face. Tudor drew her pistol and kept it close by her side.Bill stood straight slid his finger trhough the trigger guard.

The man didn't move. "Zee weapons are not neccessary. I mean no harm to you. Mayhaps I know a little of zees Tawny."

I look at Claude and Claude narrowed his gaze.