The Watch Dog

William Brand

Miss Smith looked somehwat crestfallen, but I had other matters to attend to. I knew Eric would be busy for the night and I wanted to get the Maastricht's armoury log before the dark of night set in. Passage to the Dutch ship was still busy with the offloading of goods and the movement of sails and timbers to the Heron to make her seaworthy again. I needed to make an adjustment to the groups of marines and I wanted to discuss that with Eric as well. Who to choose, I wondered to myself again.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Lasseter had stopped eating when den Oven spoke again. He sat and listened to the open conversation between the Dutchman and his Captain, growing slightly more irritated as the conversation continued. William at last ended the wordplay and Dorian pushed his chair back as quietly and politely as he could.

“Cap’n… I’ll be excusin’ m’self… I’ve had my fill…

The look he gave William indicated it was not an over abundance of food he spoke of.

“I’ll be on th’ Heron for th’ time bein’… Ladies… Gentlemen…… Goode evenin’…”

He gave a shallow bow, pushed in his chair and walked across the deck, heading for his new command.

Once on deck he looked about at those standing guard. He smiled and nodded, seeing all in order he headed aft and into the wardroom, now rather dark. He fumbled around in the unfamiliar space until he found a lanthorn. Opening it he found a stub of a candle within. He brought the hole affair out on deck and headed up onto the quarter where the stern lanterns had been lit, even thought one had been badly damaged, it still held a light in the breeze. He lit the stub from the dancing flame and placed it in the lanthorn where it steadied and grew in intensity. Taking it back down to the wardroom he hung it on a hook in the overhead and looked about.

“Gonna be a fine ship ta command soon… “

Searching through his belongings, he fished out his pipe and tobacco pouch, headed back out into the waist where he packed the bowl and this time headed to the lantern on the bow, where he lit the fragrant herb and stood in silence as he enjoyed the evening air…

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

'Ladies?' William said in his head, and wondered if Dorian had meant the mistake as a slight, for only one lady was present at the table. He tried his best not to let his smile spread to much. "More wine...?

"Thank you, no." den Oven said, and still his food went untouched. "Ven vill you address de prisoners, Kapitaine?"

"Perhaps tonight, sah."

"Den perhaps you should."

"Perhaps a wager is in order." William said as he refreshed his own glass. "A gentlemen's game. Or if you prefer...a pirate's game." William amended, and his tone was dark, but also daring.

"A vager, Kapitaine...?"

"Aye. We'll call forth the prisoners and I will make them an offer."

"Go on." den Oven said, intrigued.

"I will offer them their freedom. That, and no more, for the present. And I shall wager you the Maastricht that no less than twenty men will cross over to me from the prisoners. I will even allow you the opportunity to dissuade them from this purpose."

"You, sah, 'ave a vager."

"Steady, Kapitaine. I must first confer with Captain Lasseter. If you will excuse me."

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

He stood near the starboard cathead for a time, then walked aft along the rail til he came upon the first of the Heron’s great guns… not that they were large being four pounders. He stepped over to the triangle holding six cannonballs and bent down, hefting one in his hand. In the darkness he heard footsteps on the deck. Determined footfalls. He looked towards them in the darkness as the sound approached and was rewarded with the form of Captain Brand walking into the light of the bow lantern.

“Cap’n… Dismiss ‘r guests already?”

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

"Shoot me for a fool." William said, and he looked perturbed.

"Cap'n...?"

"I allowed that jackanape to haggle my patience." William said, pointing in the general direction of the 'Dog while he said this. Then he fell to pacing about. "I can no more give up the Maastricht than hand over the 'Dog herself. Neither belongs to me. The crew owns them both. Blood and seal."

"Give 'er up? Why should y' give up th' fluyt?"

"I made a fools wager." William said, shaking his head in ernest. "I wagered den Oven that I could draw some twenty men or more from among the prisoners against the Maastricht."

"A fools wager? I highly doubt that... Why, all ye need is ten more ta come over..."

William stopped his pacing and faced Dorian.

"Ten... more? What ever do you mean?"

"Well... If I can read th' character of a man in any way... Them's that I picked fer bein' aboard th' 'eron here... most o' them's ready ta sign on from what I see... and some at th' table were of a mind to distance 'emselves from den Oven..."

He almost spat the dutchman's name out onto the deck.

"So... I think you've naught ta worry about... b'sides... even wi'out 'is help, you could charm two score away, easy as ye please..."

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

William nodded, but then shook his head again. "She is still not mine to wager."

"He's an ass." Mister Lasster said, so plainly that William choked a little.

"Aye...but perhaps a little clever. Perhaps a fool with some art. Though he seems more stubborn than artful."

Dorian shrugged as if to say 'What of that?' and William nodded. Was it even worth calling it a wager if ten were already purchased to his cause. He still might take the Masstricht, after all, den Oven thought him a pirate. This idea bothered him more than any other, for he hated the unchanging opinion of decided critics.

"Have the men from the Heron and Masstricht assemble on the fluyt, Captain."

"Aye-Aye..... Cap'n...... er... Commodore… “

He gave a smart salute to William and grinned. Stepping close to the rail he tapped out his pipe over the side, watching the glowing coal drop with a faint hiss as it hit the water. He stuck the pipe into his hat and walked briskly passed William, still wearing his grin. Onto the Maastricht he climbed and found Mister Badger, whom he gave orders in low tones. The Boatswain nodded and stepped up onto the quarterdeck.

“Avast!!! All yon men of the Maastricht and Heron, report amidships on the quick!

Marines! Help these souls hurry along!”

In short order the crews of the two prizes were gathered in the fluyt’s waist, jammed shoulder to shoulder. There were murmurings in the darkness as Mr. Lasseter walked in front of the quarterdeck, searching the faces of all those men. Off to the side stood den Oven who walked over to the quarterdeck stairway and began to ascend them. Dorian looked up at Mr. Badger and shook his head, indicating the Dutchman. A grin crept onto his face.

“You there! You have no place on this deck! back into the waist!”

Den Oven looked as if a snake had lashed out at him. He stopped in mid step, glared at the Boatswain for a moment then tried to save his dignity and slowly stepped back into the waist. He stayed at the foot of the stairs as if to guard it, not letting go of the rail. Dorian almost laughed, but covered it by clearing his throat.

“Ah Hmm… Captain Brand will address you now… “

The deck became silent as all eyes found William as he crossed the deck and ascended to the quarterdeck. Dorian nodded to him and shot a disgusted look at the Dutchman, who stood like nobility, horrified to share the same ground as commoners…

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

William considered the his placement on the quarterdeck and den Oven amidships, and gestured for the Captain to come up to the holy ground. Then, in a turn which den Oven and the likes of him would never understand, William descended to a place part way between the quarterdeck and the waist. He called Simon Dunwalt forward to translate for him.

"I am William Brand. Some of you know the name, while others of you know only "Red Wake", but those of you who think you know me, do not know me, so let me speak plainly. I need more men to work my ship and the ships that come after. I have too few. While I have enough to dismiss any rebellion aboard this ship, I would prefer more. The Heron requires sailors, as does the Maastricht and the Watch Dog. Any of you who wish to come aboard, may do so. Sign our articles, for they are our articles, and you shall have place with us. Those of you who do not, need not be told what awaits you. If you are not mine before we reach the French at Martinique, you will be theirs.

You men of the Heron and you men of the Masstricht did not know Lawrence Dinwiddle. Lawrence Dinwiddle died a wealthy man. Not two months have gone by since he signed aboard the Watch Dog, but in those months...what fortunes he saw." William said with a slow and profound awe in his voice. "When he fell fighting to take the Masstricht he carried enough coin that we need not have sent him to the depths with round shot. His fortunes alone would have carried him down."

William paused, as if in thought, though most of what he was about to say was already rehearsed in his mind. Captain den Oven looked wary, though in truth, William had not yet left the boundaries set by the wager.

"You did not know Thomas Fitch. A boy not yet sixteen years of age. His wages at Martinique would have been some four times the yearly salary of your most common sailor in the Royal Navy, and he but a boy."

"Kapitaine..." den Oven chided, for William was edging ever closer to the boundary of the wager and its particulars, so William came to the point.

"I cannot offer you any gold nor silver. Precious stones have I none...for you. If you sign aboard now you will be free and receive nothing but a place to sleep and food. When we come to Martinique, you will have no more than those clothes given to you before by mothers, fathers and the Royal Navy. Even your possessions aboard the Heron and the Masstricht do not belong to you. Your coin, spare clothes, hammocks, hats, shoes, bibles and any finery which you before possessed are gone. They are now prizes to the crew of the 'Dog. That clothing that you wear now and that alone may you keep for yourselves, lest the crew of the 'Dog shall give it back again. I can only promise your freedom. When you arrive at Fort Royal, you will have nothing from our coffers. You will have no coin. No purse. Not one farthing. You will only have your freedom. My men and my women shall go into the ale houses and the markets and the brothels unhindered by any thought of purse. Every one of them may freely spend to the horizon of gluttony if they wish, but none of you. You will have food, a place aboard and hard work. Nothing else. When the Maastricht is sold a prize at port, only those who fought to take her will take again from her. You will have none of her.

Furthermore, the merest association with me may cause you harm. If you have family and friends who rely on you to serve the powers which brought you here, then to prison with you, for I am a hunted man. To know me is to embrace the many rumors and treacheries attributed to me. I have been branded a pirate, not in flesh, but in the minds of the rabble. To sail with me is to sail under a banner of infamy."

Captain den Oven looked confused by the extreme effort William made to explain his seemingly empty offer. Indeed, he fixed Captain Brand with a look of amazement mixed with ridicule, but William didn't seem bothered by this look.

"Kapitaine, den Oven offers you hard work, as do I. You will work side by side with my crew as my crew. Kaptaine den Oven offers you a hirelings wages and a hammock. I offer you freedom. When we put in at Martinique, you will do so as free men. Thereafter, when our first fortunes are all spent, you may join in the conquests to come. Until then, you must covet our fortunes with patience. Until then, you will live free and know no fortune but freedom. To come and go as you wish. To retire to other berths and other fortunes or to stay aboard and reap the rewards of an open sea under the marques of two nations. No contracts shall bind you to remain. You shall have a voice, a place and enough to sustain you. You will enjoy the equality of freedom as a privateer to make your fortunes where you will.

This is your choice now. Become mine. Become theirs. Freedom is all I can give you for now."

William said no more.

A lingering stillness that wove itself amid the prisoners was all but unbearable. Eyes were drawn from mesmerized focus upon the resolute Captain Brand unto one another awaiting with much anticipation the actions of one amongst them. Alder considered those pressed into service would seek to leap at the opportunity for freedom and the potential for fortune.

Born into a life of privilege without want for material needs, fortune held not his aspirations and freedom had never eluded him enough to be considered prize to a man so bound to his trade. He was a man devoted to the quality of his work, not the brash Captain who had commanded him or the poor measure of a carpenter that had been his master. Alder preferred to consider himself the author of his own fate; though in momentary retrospect, he hesitated, having scribed this chapter rather roughly. It was just time that he no longer remain coppice among oaks, his time was now and his mark, right or not would be made. It was a time for allegiance to other than ash or yew.

Alder edged forward from between his fellows, “Captain Brand. . .” he paused to gain the full measure of the Captains awareness. “My tools, my hands, and my heart are at thy disposal, Sir.”

Alder.jpg

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Twain

The QuarterMaster of the WatchDog, now acting Captain of the Heron locked his jaw to keep from smiling as the first of what he believed would be many men to ally themselves with Captain Brand spoke up. He looked into the gathered men as several others began to step to the front of the mass. There were dissenting murmurs from others, but many of those who stepped forth held their heads high, while others were somewhat sheepish. Nevertheless, they came foreward to be counted among those who wished to change their fortune from prisoner to free man…

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

William watched men first pause, then advance. A carpenter was followed by a cook. An able seaman was followed by a Gunner's Mate. William looked to Captain den Oven and waited for him to dissuade those men already coming forward, and den Oven began, but much of what he said came as an echo of Captain Brand's own words. Piracy marked the theme of his remarks and the noose was mentioned more than a few times. He touched on the devotion to duty and to crowns far away, but many of the men who came forward were too far from home to find solace in promises of loyalty to half remembered lives and the too well remembered hardships of press gangs and Royal Navies.

After a time the count had reached almost seventeen men, and den Oven took another tack. "He has vagered dat no less den a score shall cross over. He has vagered de Maastricht if you do not sign with him."

William was not too surprised by this. It was a knave's trick of course, but a good one. They had never agreed to keep the wager a secret. Now the true test would play out, even among his own who were not aware of the wager. He wondered if they thought him reckless, or at the very least, arrogant.

A Dutch man yelled out to Captain Brand and Simon translated the question which everyone wanted answered. "Is this true?"

William simply nodded. He made no explanation and amended none of his words from before. This had an effect, for it caused some hesitation, but only some hesitation. Discussion sprang up among the throng and those loyal to den Oven, or more likely to their families, attempted to dissuade some to remain. Still, in the end, more than twenty men crossed before the mast to join the Watch Dog and the Heron crews despite den Oven's revelations and condemnations.

William stopped counting at thirty.

The shaded lanterns lighted the narrow path that led amongst the three ships. Hanging in the stays and shrouds that lined the night sky the light cast a shadow on a continual marching of ants. I made my way in and amongst that line and searched on deck for Mister Franklin. Sailors on the Watch Dog told me he had gone below decks on the Maastricht. Taking a lantern from one of the shrouds of the Dutch ship, I lifted it to reveal on open doorway leading away from the main deck. Calling for the Sergeant at arms, Patrick Hand appeared. Hoisting a sack of flour onto his shoulder he pointed me down the passageway to a dimly lit cabin. I knock twice on the door and enter slowly tilting the lantern to the only other source of light in the room, another lantern hung on a hook above Mister Franklin.

A scurrying in the room to his right led me to place my hand on my pistol until I heard the distinct cough of a familiar voice.

“I told you there was an’oer crate Mister Franklin,” spat Owen Monahan.

“Ah yes, the Ferret,” I said briefly startling the Sergeant-at-arms. Eric looked at me and rolled his eyes, already tired of arguing with the seaman. “I thought you were injured Owen,” I asked, trying to reason how Eric had become stuck with the surly fellow.

“Aye sah,” said Owen rubbing the bandage, “Miss Fitzgerald did ‘er best an’ I was sent back topside where Mister Youngblood sent me t’ ‘elp Mister Franklin ‘ere.”

“Treating you well Mister Franklin?”

Eric shot a look back to me. “Aye, like a shot o’ mercury.” Owen narrowed his gaze and returned to the Dutch armoury while Eric and I waited until he left to burst out laughing. I took the lantern and peered into the room where the ship’s small arms were stored. Save for being a bit larger than the armoury on the Watch Dog, it was similar in depth. Owen had continued to shout numbers to the sergeant-at-arms and I pryed open some of the crates to find muskets and several brace of pistols. “Owen, ‘ave all these been accounted for?”

“Aye sah,” he said wiping the sweat from his brow. “Those there,” pointing to the crates stacked on top of each other closest to the door, “and those,” continuing around the room nodding at the half pikes along with the axes and shell guard cutlass.

“Well done mate,” Owen flashed a slight smile. “We’ll need to offload these first to secure the arms from the prisoners. A clean sweep o’ the ship ‘s it were.”

“Aye sah,” said Owen awaiting another task.

“Owen find me Mister Bly, Ajayi, Pascal, and Luigi. Orders ‘re t’ clean out this ‘ere cabin. Mister Hingerty ‘ll be ‘n the Watch Dog’s armoury. Load these ‘n there best ye can. Double ration o’ rum when you an’ th’ lads get done. Mister Franklin and I ‘ll be aboard the Heron.”

Owen stood ramrod straight and knuckled his forelock proudly being chosen to led this small but important task. “Aye, aye sah.”

He ducked out the armoury, through another door in the armoury I hadn’t seen before. I placed the lantern on a crate then went back into the cabin and had Mister Franklin read back the last selection Owen had counted to him. We counted the arms for many minutes more when Mister Monahan returned with his charges. Eric wrote the last of the arms in the armoury log and blew on the pages to dry. He looked to me and I nodded and he smiled as he signed his name into the log.

He waited for a moment more then closed the book.

We went to back to the Watch Dog and found Manus on the fo’c’stle deck by himself, but keeping a stern eye on the happenings aboard the Maastricht. “Ah yes, Mister Hingerty,” I said, “c’n ye keep an eye ‘n the armoury here ‘board the Watch Dog?” He began nodding before I could finish. “ Th’ lads ‘ll be bringing th’ small arms from th’ Maastricht t’ th’ armoury ‘ere.”

“O’ course, sah.”

“Mister Franklin an’ I have yet t’ log th’ arms from th’ Heron. We’ll b’ back later ‘n th’ evening. None but yourself, Owen, Ajayi, Pascal, Luigi, and the new lad Nathan Bly ‘re t’ enter.” I clasp my hand on his shoulder briefly, then turn to go unlock our armoury.

Topside again, I find Eric. He and I pass the train of weapons led by the Nigerian. I cock one eyebrow and look at the load Ajayi was carrying in his arms.

“Think there’s any left Eric?” I ask.

“Not much by the looks o’ it,” he chuckles.

We make our way quickly over to the Heron where Bill Flint had arranged the arms and already taken a count.

“20 cutlass, 16 musket, 29 pistols, and 12 axes,” he stated quickly.

“Excellent Mister Flint, would you be so kind as t’ see o’er them while th’ lads finish aboard th’ Maastricht. They should be aboard the Heron shortly.”

Mister Flint nodded a tight compliance. Eric and I climbed back aboard the Maastricht and found solace under a lantern by the larboard rigging. Moving a barrel closer to the light we opened the armoury log book and made the entry of the Heron’s arms.

JULY 23, 1704

Engagement with ships Maastricht and Heron of Dutch and British colours.

Upon striking her colours,

Arms found aboard the Dutch Ship Maastricht:

65 cutlass

72 short swords

15 quarter pikes

50 axe

64 muskets

62 brace of pistols

4 kegs pistol powder

17 powder horns

10 crates flints

37 halfkegs gunpowder

Arms found aboard the British sloop Heron:

20 cutlass

16 muskets

29 pistols

12 axes

Entered into armoury log of the goodly ship Watch Dog

This day, 23 JULY 1704

ERIC FRANKLIN, SERGEANT-AT-ARMS

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

As those who decided to join the ranks of the Watch Dog stepped up, Mr. Lasseter counted. He recognized every man he had set to task aboard the Heron, and was pleased that all of them were accounted for. Once he had reached twenty one men he stopped his tally and dismissed himself. He headed back aboard the Watch Dog and found his way to the wardroom. Picking his way through the mess he procured the document he was in search of, along with two sharp quill pens and a well used inkwell. He brought these items on deck and placed them on the table that recently was dined around and arranged the ships articles so they might easily be signed. It had become much darker and he realized that better lighting was needed. Catching the Stewards’ eye with a gesture, he had her gather two lanterns to place on either side of the table, illuminating the space rather nicely. He then stood at what might be called a comfortable attention and waited until the free men had separated themselves from the prisoners. William had bowed his head some as if in heavy thought or prayer, so Dorian continued to stand, waiting for the next move to be made…

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

William called for the Master-at-Arms to take away the remaining prisoners to a place below, where all of them might be guarded together. The new volunteers were ordered over to the waist of the 'Dog under no more scrutiny than the marines aloft. Some of them seemed surprised by this, but William called for no additional marines to escort the new men. He ordered them there to wait there for his arrival, asking that they sign no articles until he had spoken to them once more.

While they began crossing to the 'Dog, he went to den Oven. "Are you satisfied that the wager has been lost to you, Kapitaine?"

"It seems dat luck vas on your side." den Oven admitted, albeit begrudgingly.

"You are not as clever as I first imagined. Devious perhaps, but far from clever."

Den Oven looked slapped and he answered slight for slight. "I do not believe for a moment dat you vould have honored such a vager. Such a...pirate vager."

William locked eyes with the man and held them along time. "It was a gentlemen's game, den Oven. You understood the terms. You are a gentleman after all. Gentlemen sit in parlors and teahouses and decide the fates of men as carelessly as they do cattle. Gentlemen cheat and amble through high courts of law and society. So better a privateer than a gentlemen. I would have given you the Maastricht, sah. My word once given is never taken back again."

"And come again after it." Den Oven returned, for he was not convinced.

"Why no, sah. There would be no need. Had I lost the wager, and i don't believe I would have, I had but to give you the Maastricht, but owing to the restrictions of the wager, I would have given you the Maastricht and only the Maastricht. I would have given you no food, no water, no bosuns, no coxswains, no carpenters, no gunnery crews, and no able seamen. I would have given you the freedom I promised everyone else, and no more. Not even a pistol to shoot yourself." William said with a smile. "Once time had dispatched you, I would have come for her again."

"Why did you not say as such?" asked Simon Dunwalt , who was waiting to cross over. "You might have had more men."

"I wanted the right men." William explained.

"More pirates." den Oven amended, and he was not happy, for William was no longer hiding his gloating behind polite formalities.

"If you prefer." William allowed.

"Dey are pirates, every one." den Oven said with conviction, fixing the lot with a cold look.

"If they are, then you made them so. Not I. I did not plant the seed that became these men. I only harvested it."

"Dey are all condemned men. You are a condemned man." he spat feebly.

"Aye." William agreed. "Condemned to captain a good ship in good company under the protection of two nations. Keep me ever in your thoughts when you come to the prison house, Kapitaine. Take him below."

Eric and I sat for a moment more while the Captain gathered the Dutch who wish to join the crew of the Watch Dog. “Right, now about the marines.” Eric had waited for the ink to dry before he looked up at me. His face looked tired in the dim light, but eager to finish the day, and night’s work.

“Preston, remind me who ‘s aboard the Heron ‘t present,” he asked.

“Lessee, Lucky Tuck ‘s now bo’sun,” I stuck one finger out, counting, “Jerrod ‘s th’ lookout,” two fingers now, “an’ Maurice an’ Andrew are able seaman,” I finished with four fingers extending.

We turned to see the Captain standing before the crowd of Dutch sailors. We lowered our voices as the captain began to speak.

‘Hmm that’s most o’ the starboard watch, save for Mister Dinwiddle who has passed.” I nodded and frowned as if the comment wasn’t necessary, but Eric understood the need for clarity to the situation.

“Aye, Andrew was on guard o’ th’ armoury for the Larboard watch.” We stood for a few moments and discussed how to reassign our marines productively. We argued if there was a need for a marine in addition for someone to take Lawrence’s place.

“A fresh tankard may ‘elp us decide.”

A hearty “aye” erupted from Eric as if that was the true answer he was waiting for.

Eric and I made our way back to the galley of the Watch Dog and met Owen and his small crew nearly finished their task. Ajayi and Pascal were carrying the last load from the Heron and made quick work of their deposit in the armoury. As promised, we met those men in the galley and offered them their hard work’s earnings.

“Owen, ‘ave th’ Surgeon check your dressing,” I ordered to him.

“Aye sah.” He turned and made his way to surgery.

“Owen,” I called into the passageway,

“Sah?”

“Excellent job Owen, I’ll make sure th’ Captain finds out.”

“Thankee sah.”

Eric and I sat with the men for a few minutes before we excused ourselves and made our way back to the main deck of the Maastricht. Upon arrival, the Captain called for us to take the prisoners below to where they would be guarded together.

William amended his previous orders regarding the prisoners, allowing for Doctor Van Zandt and Bartel Raymer to move among the wounded unmolested. He also allowed them the privacy of the great cabin for more advanced surgeries. First Mater Raymer and Doctor Van Zandt were also given the use of ship stores, rum , water and linen for the wounded, which they excepted gratefully.

Bartel gave William a long low bow for this and William returned it. They said nothing for a moment, but William thought, 'Here is a defeated man in whom I might give my respect.'

Then William returned to the Watch Dog, where the gathering of new men awaited him. Mister Lasseter called "Captain on deck!" and they snapped to attention so suddenly, that William smiled despite himself.

"Gentlemen. Welcome to the privateer frigate, Watch Dog. Her rate and her breadth are not great, but she is a fine little ship, and I hope you will be content to serve here and on the Heron." Then he amended. "Or whatever the Heron may be called hereafter."

Mister Lasseter looked a little thoughtful, but only in pantomime. William walked to the head of the table, still set out with some of the ship's, finery. Miss Smith was in the act of clearing the table, and the sailors standing ready to sign aboard took note of her.

"You have all volunteered to leave the Navies to which you belonged and sign aboard these two ships. You have excepted my offer of freedom, place and sustenance. However..." and he paused, placing his hands behind his back. "...let us understand the gravity of such a freedom.

If you sign the articles of this ship, you will not be granted the amnesty afforded to prisoners of war. Those who remained aboard the Maastricht, will be governed by all the principles of chivalry and civilization offered to the captured in times of war. Once you have signed these articles, you will be members of this crew and subject to those officers in charge of you. You will also be hanged as pirates should you ever be taken alive. We have a freedom aboard that is not afforded to men of any Royal Navy, but the articles are binding. Break them, and suffer the punishments passed down from the quarterdeck. Do not believe that we do not exercise some disciplines here. This is a privateer vessel, not a tavern. Your reward for duties strictly observed aboard is an elevated freedom ashore and pay which exceeds any that you might know in any Royal Navy. Furthermore, in addition to these articles, you shall have to deal with me, so understand, I reward loyalty as well as I punish treachery. Serve against me in any way or cause harm to any aboard this ship or the Heron and you will learn which of those reports of me are true. You do not want to know which of them are true. Serve faithfully and be rewarded. Serve for me and beside me and you will prosper.

Captain Lasseter. Please read the Articles of Agreement and have the men present themselves at the ledger to go on account."

Mr. Lasseter, or, as he had been addressed, Captain Lasseter bowed his head to Captain Brand. He picked up the Articles and quietly cleared his throat, then began reading…

“These are th’ Articles of Agreement made, concluded and agreed upon between all Members of the Company and Crew of the Frigate Watch Dog, having severally and jointly subscribed their Names and affixed their Signatures to those Presents as followeth.

Article one, That all of the said Company and Crew of the Watch Dog shall obey their Commander in all respects, as if the ship was his own, except when he shall defer to the Wishes and Wants of the Majority by vote of the whole Company.

Article two, That all Plunder shall be divided by Shares, unless some or all shall be used by Decree of the Captain, or vote of the Whole Company, to some other Purpose; that the Captain and Quartermaster shall receive eight Shares; the Doctor, Boatswain, Gunner, Coxswain, Master, Carpenter and Blacksmith, six Shares; the other Officers, five Shares; the able seamen, four Shares; and junior seamen, two Shares; every Person aboard to be called fairly in turn, by List, on board of Prizes for the replacement of Articles and Arms; and that the Doctor shall have all Medicines and Instruments belonging to any Doctor that shall be taken.

Article three, Whomsoever of the said Company shall first spy a Sail and the same prove to be a Prize sufficient to make them a Voyage, they shall Therefore have the best Pistol or Small Arm aboard of her; and that whoever enters first on boarding a Prize in an Engagement, and strikes her Colours, shall receive Two Shares for Bravery.

Article four, That if anyone belonging to the said Company, be killed in an Engagement, or die on board, their Share or Shares, of all Prizes taken in thier Life-Time, shall be paid to their Executors, if so appointed by Will; but if no Will be made, then their Part of what was got as aforesaid shall belong to the general Interest of the Whole. That if any shall have the Misfortune to lose a Joint in time of Engagement, to the Apparent hindrance of getting their future Livelyhood, before any Dividend shall be made, they shall have the Sum of Four hundred pieces of Eight; if a limb Eight hundred; and for lesser hurts, proportionately, and remain aboard as long as they shall think fit, But if there be not so much taken at that Time, the Vessel and the Company shall keep out till they have enough for that Purpose; Provided no extraordinary Accident happens.

Article five, That whoever of the Company shall breed a Mutiny or Disturbance, or if any of the said Company shall offer to run away to meet with another Marrooner that they shall sign his Articles without the Consent of our Company, declare Secrets and Designs of the Company to another, or keep any Secret from the Company to the detriment of the Whole, that person shall be marooned with one Bottle of Powder, one Bottle of Water, one small Arm and shot.

Article six, That all aboard shall keep their Piece, Pistols, and Cutlass clean and fit for Service. Any of the said Company that shall not keep their Arms clean, fit for an Engagement, or neglect their Business in regards to Arms of the Armories or those Great Guns of the Ship, they shall be cut off from their Share, and suffer such other Punishment as the Captain or Majority of the Company shall think fit.

Article seven, If any of the crew shall be found Guilty of Cowardice in the time of Engagements, or incite others to fear or retreat, then they shall lose their portion as aforesaid, and suffer what punishment the Captain or Majority of the Company shall think fit. And whoever of the Company begin an Attack, either by firing a Gun, or using any Instrument of War, before Orders be given, by the proper Officers, they shall be punished accordingly.

Article eight, Any of the crew that shall be found Guilty of striking one another on board or shall be found Guilty of taking up any unlawful Weapon on Board the Privateer, or any Prize, by us taken, so as to strike or abuse one another, in any regard shall suffer what Punishment the Captain or Majority of the Company shall think fit. Any quarrel that shall not be resolved between parties aboard, shall be ended ashore at sword and pistol by direction of the Quartermaster.

Article nine, That if any of the said Company shall in time of service be so Drunk & Incapable in time of Engagement that they do not fight and withstand the Enemy then they shall be Cut off or punished according as the Captain or Majority of the Company shall think fit.

Article ten, The lights and candles to be put out at eight o'clock at night: if any of the crew, after that hour shall remain inclined for drinking, they shall do so on the open deck, and whoever shall snap Arms, or smoke Tobacco in the Hold, without a cap to the Pipe, or smoke Tobacco abaft the Foremast while on the Weather Decks, or carry a Candle lighted without a Lanthorn, shall suffer what Punishment the Captain or Majority of the Company shall think fit.

Article eleven, That whoever shall steal any Thing in the Company, or be found Guilty of Gaming at cards or dice for money, or Defrauding another to the Value of a Shilling for any Longer than four and twenty hours, and shall not fully and truly deliver the same Amount unto the offended Party or the Quartermaster for the time being, they shall therefore Lose their whole Share and Dividend as aforesaid and shall suffer what Punishment the Captain or Majority of the Company shall think fit.

Article twelve, That whoever shall be found seducing any boy or woman not of the said Company aboard ship, and carry he or she disguised aboard ship; or shall anyone at any time meet with a prudent Woman, that Man that offers to meddle with her, without her Consent, shall suffer what Punishment the Captain or Majority of the Company shall think fit.

Article thirteen, That none of the Crew shall go on Shore till the Ship is off the Ground, and in readiness to put to Sea, unless the Ship be abandoned by all for Thrift or some other Purpose.

It is further Covenanted, Granted, Concluded, and Agreed upon that the whole Company or each Person severally will form those Articles, Excepting the Hardness of the Seas and the Danger of the Enemies, In Witness whereof all the said Parties to those Articles have set their Hands & Signatures.

Signed, Sealed and Delivered in the Presence of the Captain, Quartermaster and us, the whole Company.”

He looked up from the document and into the faces of those men gathered. He saw mixed emotions on their faces, none of which looked like any would decide to change their minds and become prisoners to be handed over to the gaol. Dorian laid the articles on the table and sat, dipped one of the quillpens into the ink pot and presented it to the gathering.

“Step up lads…who’ll be first?”

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Alder Wenge stepped just ahead of Andries Weers, but Simon Dunwalt was already ahead of the Carpenter's Mate. Simon proved to have a fine hand, and he made great show of signing his name. Each of them followed, one after the other, though there were some who lacked a knowledge of letters. Owing to a standard of education among the Dutch, almost every man from the Maastricht was able to sign his name. The rest made an appropriate mark or symbol to show their allegiance.

While they did this, William stood and nodded to each man who signed and saluted. Part way through this documentation, he remembered the timepiece on his person and he removed it to check the hour.

"Captain Lasseter. Please have the watches prepare a glass for each ship in preparation to begin the sounding of bells once again. It is almost six bells of First Watch and I we shall revive the revolutions on the berth decks."

“Aye-Aye… I’ll have a man at station on th’ other ships awaitin’ ta hear the ‘Dog’s bell rung…”

William nodded to Dorian and was given a nod back. Off he went to the binnacle of the frigate and set the sand glasses to rights, just behind the aft bell station. There stood Geoffery Wayne as he overheard William’s order.

“I c’n run th’ glasses sir…”

“Aye, lad, very goode, very goode…”

Off he headed onto the Maastricht where he found the remnants of the ships sand glass, in the clearing of the mess after combat it had been set on the binnacle here, bereft of most of the glass and all of the sand. Looking back to the Watch Dog, he called out to the new men.

“Dunwalt! Come aboard here! Stadtmeyer! You as well!”

Both men ambled over to the Maastricht and knuckled their forelocks to Mr. Lasseter.

“Dunwalt, find th’ spare sandglasses aboard… if there be any, and wait fer th’ ships bell ta be rung on th’ ‘Dog, yer in charge o’ this til told otherwise…”

He again knuckled his brow and set off into the lower deck spaces.

“Stadtmeyer, head aboard th’ Heron… you’ve th’ same duty their.. I’ll be joinin’ ye shortly on deck…”

“Aye-aye, Captain Lasseter, sir…”

He saluted and ambled towards the cutter. Dorian returned to the Watch Dog and approached Captain Brand.

“How soon will it be time?”

William again consulted the timepiece.

“Looks to be… under a quarter hour until six bells… is there trouble?”

“Not to worry… I’m sure there are spare sandglasses aboard th’ Masstricht, th’ one on deck was destroyed in th’ fray, I sent Dunwalt ta find what’s ta be had below… “

William nodded in understanding. Dorian turned and watched as the last of the men were signing the articles. The last to do so were two young boys from the Heron. He watched as Ian Hatrick scrawled his name, rather poorly, onto the page. He stepped aside, but didn’t walk away as Liam Rowan took the quill and made a hesitant gesture at the blank spot under Ian’s name. He looked at the officers standing close by and at Ian beside him. He mumbled something to which Ian bent closer, prompting the young boy to whisper in his ear.

“It’s a’right Liam… I’ll hep ya…”

Ian took Liam’s hand with the pen in his own and wrote his name on the page, pronouncing each letter as he did so…

“Ell.. Eye.. Ayee.. Emm…. Arrr.. Owah.. Dub’lya.. Ayee... Ennn… there… ya signed it yerse’f…”

Liam was pleased as he could be, his smile full and bright.

“Thank ya Ian!!!”

The boy then became solemn as he turned to the officers. With a practiced movement he knuckled his forelock and spoke evenly…

“Liam Rowan… reportin’ fer duty, Sirs!”

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Simon returned with the Maastricht's spare glass, though even this showed signs of neglect. It was cracked but not broken entirely, so it would have to serve until Martinique. It was brought together with the glass from the Heron and the glass from the Watch Dog. William brought out the ornate timepiece from the Heron and waited until it dictated the sixth hour of First Watch. Every glass was turned at once and the stern bell on the frigate was rung, and so much time had passed since the ringing of the bells, that some people stopped amidst their duties to listen to the three double taps of the bell.

"Very goode, gentelmen. Captain Lasseter, You may have those men already assigned to the Heron. I will keep the other men aboard the 'Dog and the Maastricht."

William divided the remaining recruits and put the two halves in the 'Dog and the Maastricht. He further divided these halves between the Starboard and Larboard watches of the two ships in anticipation of resting the watches.

With midnight approaching, Captain Lasseter made what preparations were necessary to cast off from the Maastricht, and the English cutter, now their cutter, slipped away from the fluyt and frigate into the pressing darkness.

July 23, 1704 - Aboard the Watch Dog

Six bells of First Watch

Captain Lasseter headed aboard his ship, the Heron, and headed to the small armoury. He inspected the arms that had been brought aboard as per his request. Satisfied, he headed to the hold. There he noted some fresh supplies had been brought aboard as well. Some salt beef, rice, dried peas, a barrel of apples, and several of fresh water. Satisfied with that as well, he emerged back on deck where his entire crew was assembled. They stood at attention as his shoulders came even with the deck. Nigel waited til he stepped over the combing and knuckled his forelock.

"Captain... All present n' accounted fer..."

"Very goode Mister Brisbane... Here's to a grande voyage..."

Dorian turned to the assembled men.

"Do yer duty well an' it'll be a fine time... Prepare ta cast off! Ready ta make sail!"

A resounding 'Aye!' was shouted by all and the crew dispersed to all points to follow his orders. In short order the sails were drawing nicely as the Heron arced away from the side of the Maasstricht. Dorian stood at the lee rail on the tiny quarterdeck, Mr. Brisbane at the tiller.

"Well Nigel.... how's she feel?"

The Boatswain looked at the Captain and grinned in the darkness.

"Handles like a dream, so far..."

"Excellent...."

Both men turned their eyes foreward and watched the crew at work. After a moment Dorian again turned to Nigel.

"I'll be b'low fer a moment... The deck is yours... cruise a lazy circle 'round the 'Dog...."

"Aye, cap'n..."

He headed below to the wardroom and sat at the table. Pulling the logbook infront of him and opening it, he began to read over the list of crew aboard, deciding who would be on what watch. As he mulled over this, the lanthorn sputtered. Realizing that the stub of a candle he lit earlier must be at its end, he stood and began saerching through the storage areas, looking for more candles. Opening a drawer low on the cabinet he found them. Just as he had one in hand, the stub failed, leaving him in darkness.

"Blast!"

He was now forced the feel his way out of the unfamiliar space onto the deck. With only one new bruise on his shin he made the deck, headed aft to the stern lights, lit the new candle and shielded it from the breeze. Again he made his way below. Finding the lanthorn, he filled it with the fresh taper and settled himself to his task...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

William was more relaxed with the Heron away. This jeopardized the three ships less and allowed them some protection while the Master Carpenter and Bosun finished the rigging of a yard on the Maastricht's makeshift fore mast. This was accomplished in short order and a tired Mister Badger made his way over to the 'Dog.

"The yard is fixed to the fore, Cap'n." Mister Badger reported, and the man looked exhausted. "She'll hold a good strong wind, and last against any that should back upon her."

"Thank you, Mister Badger. A good job you've made of it. Please pass my compliments to the Master Carpenter."

"We can away before dawn and it looks to be fine weather, Sah."

"Aye, Mister Badger, but no need. We'll rest the watch at midnight. See that you find a hammock then. We shall move after a resting and not before."

"Thankee, Cap'n."

Mister Badger returned to his work alongside the Master Carpenter, anxious to accomplish all that he could by the turn of the glass that would sound eight bells.

Since after the meal had ended, Tudor had not held still. While the captain adressed the men who were to sign the articles, she worked on clearing away what was left from dinner. She smiled to herself as she noticed the curious glances of the new men. It was always the same and a period of adjustment was always needed when outsiders joined whatever crew she was serving with, and they were shocked to find a woman. It made no diffrence to her, other's opinions.

After she had finished with that, and bore the last load of dishes to the galley, she had offered her aide to Mr. Gage, who was prepairing food for Doctor Van Zandt and Raymer, who even at that late hour were still at work among their wounded, and any other late serving crew. They worked in silence till all was done, and the Ship's cook started to put the kitchen fires down. All became silent in the galley, and she made her way to the ward room, to make sure it was secure before she would retire.

In almost wraith like silence, she moved around the empty room, making sure the last of the broken glass was swept up and disposed of and that the empty windows were shuttered up tightly for the night. She finsihed that, then after taking one last inventory of the room, she closed the door, and made her way topside, to take a breath of air before she retreated to slumber.

As she looked up to the sky, remembering when she was first taught how to mesure time by where the moon was in the sky. She looked at the moon and sighed. It was just then midnight.

24 July, 1704

Onboard the Heron, Eight Bells of the Evening Watch

Dorian pushed his chair back and rubbed his eyes. He stretched and stiffled a yawn, then looked at the ledger infront of him. He had finished the list of the watches just moments before the bell tolled eight times. He read it one last time.

Larboard Watch

Brisbane - coxswain

Smyth - marine/lokout

Flint - marine

Johnson - gunner

McCormick - able seaman

Weers - able seaman

Casteel - able seaman

Coipman - able seaman

O'Hara - able seaman

O'Madden - able seaman

Godfrey - powdermonkey

Starboard Watch

Tucker - Boatswain

Styles - marine/lookout

Roche - marine

Alder - carpenter/able seaman

Whiting - able seaman

Stadtmeyer - able seaman

Brant - able seaman

Jameson - able seaman

Brocke - able seaman

Moore - cook

Kalfkin - powder monkey

He stood, ledger in hand and headed to the deck.

"All Hands! Drop sail! Put 'er in irons!"

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif