The Watch Dog

William Brand

19 July, 1704 the Watch Dog

Seven Bells of the Morning Watch

As the bell is chimed the sixth time, Dorian wakes with a start, then relaxes as the next chime sounds. some light is creeping throught the cracks around the larboard gun hatch. He leans over and undoes the latch, then pushes on the hatch causing it to open a bit more. He is greeted by more daylight, weak in the gloom as it is still raining...

"Bloody rain... "

He settles again and rubs his face, feeling the slight growth of stubble on his chin. Then with practiced ease he sits upright in his hammock, swings his legs over the side and comes to his feet. With a yawn and stretch he begins a new day. The pistol he once had across his stomache now resides on the desk, put there some time in the night. So he moves it to the side and brings up his basin to take care of his toiletries...

One finished, all is put in its place. He dresses in his dry shirt, a fresh pair of slops and again dons his wesket, sword and baldric, and his pistol goes back on his belt. Shaking his head he also drags on his oilskins, lastly doffing his hat, he heads out into the passage to the galley, greeting all with a weak smile. Mr. Gage pours him a mug of tea..

"Thankee Lad... have ye any scones?"

"I do Mister Lasseter... how many would ye like" He answers with a grin.

"I'll take three... Thankee Kindly..."

With his hands full of mug and scones, he makes his way topside, out into the freshining airs. Stopping in the waist, he take a deep breath and lets it out slowly... Smiles and heads to the helm.

"Mornin'..... Mornin' all.... All is well, eh?"

"Aye-aye sir" chimes the watch within earshot of the QuarterMaster's quiry.

"Goode.... very goode..."

Standing to the side he watches the goings on and breaks his fast...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

July 19, 1704 - Aboard the Watch Dog

Just after eight bells of the Morning Watch

William awoke from a short but altogether decent night's sleep. He always slept well on rainy nights, especially after much work, and last night had been no exception. He had cocooned himself in warm blankets and gone right off.

Now, the sunlight greased its way into the windows of the ward room and his cabin, and he caught the smells of food emanating from the adjacent room long before he heard his catlike Steward creeping about the place so as not to wake him. He wouldn't have noted her progress at all, but the large trapdoors which secreted the aft gunnery compartment tended to squeak under any additional weight, since the ward room table was of such a great weight itself, with all of it's hinged parts.

"Miss Smith!" he called, stepping to the chilling deck boards. "A word if you please."

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

"No, no. It is time that I was up and about. I am most grateful."

She poured a pitcher of fresh water (there being no short supply of it of late) into the basin and laid out a towel for his use.

"Thank you, Miss Smith. Has the Quartermaster relieved Mister Badger on deck?"

"Aye, sir."

"Then fetch him down to the Ward Room for some fare and send for Mister Pew and Youngblood as well. Is Mister Warren on watch?"

"Aye. He is drawing food and drink at the galley."

"Send for him as well and be hard by to serve, Miss Smith. I'll have you sit at the table since you have a part in today's explorations."

She gave an affirmative as she went out. William drowned his face in the basin and shaved it neatly in short order, dressing and going out to greet the officers as they arrived.

Having spent most of the night enjoying the works of The Bard, Bill was up well before his watch. Feeling not the least bit fatigued he settled to go above decks and enjoy a pipe. For protection from the elements he selected his Marine's just-au-corps. Tying his NCO's sash about his waste he collected his fatigue cap along with pipe and pouch and proceeded to the weather deck. Along the way he passed his mate Eric Franklin who was soaked to the bone. He immediately did an about face and proceeded to procure some hot coffee for his soggy friend. Once the warming brew was in Eric's posession he returned to his original purpose. When he arrived topside he noted that the rain had lessened somewhat. Mayhaps Nathan could soon be brought up to enjoy the fresh air. As he stared in the direction of the island his thoughts wandered to the work ahead of building a forge and repairing the damaged firearms.

THIS CABIN-LAD'S GROWN HAGGARD, SO IN THE POT HE GOES AND FROM HIS SKIN WE'LL MAKE A LITTLE DRUM TO BEAT AS WE FIRE HUMAN HEADS FROM CANNONS AT OUR FOES. AND SET THE SEAS ABLAZE WITH BURNING RUM.

She had returned to familiar roost in the grey hours of dawn, the quiet hours that lay as a salve upon troubled soul. In night's wanderings, the Surgeon had checked upon charge's in neighboring suite, finding all well and deep in the embrace of much needed slumber. Notes were briefly scribed in heavy leather tome, before retreating here.

The Sphinx looked up from high backed perch at her entrance as if night long absence had not occured by either. No query was breeched by either party; no need for such to arise and comfort was had due to words unsaid. Raphael made observations in regard to their neighbors and knowledge gleaned, Jacquelyn interjected now and again in concurrance or sudden realization.

The seam of gray, barely glimpsed around gunport edge, gave way to more golden hue and impression was given that the rain may be departing the elemental battle field. She moved to latched wooden flap, releasing its' securing and propped it upward to gaze upon morning's offering. A slight haze hang over shallows nearby, the air heavily ladden with humidity amplified by the previous night's storms.

With deep inhalation, she drew inward the heavy salt tinged air, then exhaled slowly as if palleting its' flavors. She held a certain appreciation for the mild temps of Caribe manner, but when the air was this burdened, it was home that she longed for. A minute creak underfoot was the only indication that her companion had drawn near and turning her head a small manner of degree, Jacquelyn realized how much stealth the other had at his whim. The pale jade eyes seemed to give accord to her France longings and she reached to thread one daint arm thru one of his own.

They stood that way, looking outward to what lay beyond wooden frame; he without protest to her touch, inwardly enjoying the contact. A slight breeze stirred then abated, and with sudden statement, Jacquelyn turned her attention to the young Frenchman.

"Do you ever long for France, monsieur? ...For the rich valleys and familliar surrounds?....For the constant?"

Raphael considered her words before offering a small nod, "Oui, madame... From time to time. There are places that bear the patrois, but it is always a pale shade in comparrison to the things they attempt to reflect."

Her expression pinched briefly, "Unfortunately, I must agree..."

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

::Waking after the sounding of the eight bell I rise and light the shaded lantern.

Several thoughts come flowing to me about the day's journey and what may lie ahead. Scribbling few notes in the journal on the desk, I unlock the armoury and bring the lantern within.

Organizing the arms needed for the day, I make sure to grab those that have been set aside as previously cleaned from the last watch. Noting in the armoury log, I hear a knock at the door.::

Eric Franklin

::Arriving back at the Quarterdeck with now hot coffee in hand, Eric had found the rain begun to slow. Moving past the few men that still remained from the small watch that had been placed on deck overnight Eric continued to the bow. Pounding his fist lightly along the hull of the cutter "Patricia" he felt the rigging had been secured enough to his liking. He moved several barrels that had been misplaced by the crew during their fresh water exercise. Coiling several loops of rope that had been dislodged during the night, Eric layed them upon the marlinspikes on the mast. Stepping with one foot on the rail and his chin in his hand he looked out upon the island.

"Lots to do, lots to do..." he muttered to himself.::

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

On upper decks, near bow's prominant jut, the rough surfaced pot took percarious stance on barrel surface. The matching vessels of smaller size were held gratefully by their owner's as the pungent smell of liquid content wafted immediate area. Small pleasures, such as the dark fluid laced with local surgars, acted as attempted remedies to origin longing.

All around, the weather decks shown structured activity, a bussel of intentions to the orders of the day. Raphael partook of cup's filling while watching preprations made to chosen launch embarking in near future. The young lieutenant observed with authoritive and knowledgable eye, as the man attending water craft skillfully made simple what was in need. Refocusing toward the isle of destination, the Sphinx made quiet comment to Surgeon companion.

"There is a clean and clear pool of fresh water that lies just beyond that embankment. I am sure that if they are not already aware of its' existance...they will be soon enough."

Jacquelyn paused in her own partaking to glance sidelong, " I can only assume that you have been here before?"

A trace of smile almost crossed the younger's expression in response.

" I can further assume that you are no stranger to the area of land deeded as reward?"

The hinted smile increased half a degree and she chuckled softly.

"Tu, monsiuer are most skilled at containing secrets."

"Perhaps, madame...But, then again, one needs only be the right person and ask the right questions."

Deep green eyes regarded those of paler shade as Raphael answered unspoken query, "Oui, madame..."

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

Tudor knocked on the door to the Master-at-Arms' quaters, and poked her head inside when she heard him bid her enter. "Meeting of the landing crew in the ward room sir." She said quickly, with a small smile and nod to him. She then went on her way heading towards the ward room again, all messages delievered. Mr. Pew had been the last on her list.

On her way up, Tudor's path crossed with that of a familiar figure. "Well, if it isn't the little Callie Moore." She had been much to busy of late to follow up on how the waif was fitting in with the crew, but she hadn't heard any complaints, so she assumed that her would-be pickpocket was pulling her load. With a smile and nodd at the small girl, Tudor continued in her path, and quickly found herself at the ward room door, and quietl slipped in, all the others having gathered from their corners of the ship.

"Aye Miss Smith, I be right along.."

::Gathering a brace of pistols, I locked the door to the armoury behind me. Extinguishing the lantern I made my way to the ward room.:

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

July 19, 1704 - Ward Room of the Watch Dog

First Bell of the Forenoon Watch

William stood at the head of the table, already administering a dark liquor into the various glasses about the ward room table. Each drink went down with the usual order of reactions and expressions; a short report of sucked air through set teeth followed by an appreciative smile or a nod. It was strong but warming stuff.

Mister Youngblood and Mister Warren sat at opposite sides of the table, each discussing the interminable weather. Petee was in a stew about the excess rain on the main guns and the heavy damp below. Twice since rising he had checked the powder stores for signs of dew from the upper decks. With the arrival of Mister Pew, the Master Gunner made inquiries after the fine powder stores used only for the pistols and muskets. It was these store that were most vulnerable to the wet and persistent weather.

"Aye Mr. Youngblood, 'tis most damp b'low. Mr. Flint and Mr. Franklin took it 'pon themselves ta move tha barrels 'way from tha corners. 'Tis quite dry ta be certain."

I removed my vest to withdraw a dry kerchief from the pocket. Laying the rag upon the table I removed the powder horn I had slung over my shoulder and poured a small pile into the center of it. Each person around the table ran their fingers through it to check for any signs of moisture. They each nodded with a sense of adequacy.

"Right good work those lads did."

Mister Lasseter finished placing his heavy gear on a hook by the aft companionway and took his customary seat at table, pinching some of the dry powder even before he sat down. Then a glass was placed in his hand and he drank it with less show of the bite that was want to make every other man at the table blanch. He proffered it again and William filled it.

"The rain 'as made a mock of the Fore Topgallant Yard." Mister Lasseter said matter-of-factly. "Ciaran's man, McGinty, says she's showing signs of fatigue."

"Ciaran's man...?" William said, bemused that the lookouts were now becoming an entity unto themselves.

"Ciaran's crew amongst the clouds." Mister Pew said, his glass lifted in a kind of toast before he downed it.

"That lot is as thick as thieves." Mister Warren added. There were nods and affirmatives all around.

"There's a split at the starboard yard end." The Quartermaster continued.

William nodded. Mister Badger had watched that very timber with an ernest eye ever since the rain had set in upon them. It was not the finest bit of beam in the rigging and bore watching, especially with the added weight of water in the canvas there.

"Have Mister Morgan keep a wary eye on it for now. We'll see what the Carpenter can do with those timbers salvaged from the Apollo."

"Aye." he agreed.

After making sure everyone's plates were filled with the breakfast, Tudor gratefully accepted the glass that the captain offered and took the empty seat he was motioning her to. She listened quietly, drinking from her goblet, apprechiating the strength of the drink. Mentally she filed every detail that had been discussed so far.

William took his seat and plating his fingers together he leaned back in his chair, leaving his food for the moment.

"Miss Smith. Gentleman. Today we seek out the hidden fortunes whispered about in hushed tones among the hammocks below."

There were a few smiles at this, for not a day nor hour had passed without some musing on that undiscovered treasure. The officers of the ship were ever reminding the men and women of the crew not to idle away their time on hopes of gold and great wealth, for the Ilex fortune was still just a vague and unproved cache. This of course had had the opposite effect and the fires of their imaginations were only fueled by these repeated cautions. It was fast becoming a concern to William that the Ilex fortune would prove to me misfortune if the cache was but a small one. Mutiny, the capstone of all unrest, was an ever-present issue with all captains.

"We shall send two parties out by boat today. The one shall be headed by Mister Lasseter in the cutter, with Mister Warren at the tiller." Both men nodded. "Their mission, to find the Ilex fortune.

I should like the second to do explorations of those promontories East of us. I should like a thorough examination of the many escarpments of Los Hermanos, starting at the Northern most part on Southward, and I would know if more of the Apollo might be found. Mister Pew. Do you have your party selected?"

"Aye sah. First, tha nubian we found adrift...then Cut-throat," counting on my fingers as I go along, "Pascal, Mr. Roche and Mr. Press. Aye, should be 7 o' us includin' Miss Smith and meself."

Looking to Miss Smith, she nods in agreeance as the Captain nods as well.

"Full complement o' weapons sah?"

"Yes...a musket, pistol and hanger for each man...and woman." he amended, with a small nod toward the Steward. "But the Doctor will not let you have Pascal so soon after the accident, Mister Pew." he said, tapping his own shoulder.

"Ahhh. I had quite forgotten, sah."

"Take...Monahan. The man has a steady hand with a pistol."

"He is a fine rower." Mister Warren added.

William nodded and was quiet a moment in thought. Drinks were sipped and then all heads turned upward a moment as lightning touched down somewhere on La Blanquilla, followed by the crackle and boom of thunder. The rain on the weatherdecks redoubled and a downpour turned everything in view from the stern windows into a blur. The Master Gunner frowned. Mister Lasseter raised one eyebrow slightly as he tipped his glass. William continued without comment.

"Mister Lasseter will scout out from the Watch Dog aboard Patricia. We shall remain in close company with the cutter while the longboat is off alone on the errand of exploration. Should the longboat crew come adrift of any troubles, you are to fire three good volleys and we will return to gather your party, Mister Pew. Otherwise, you are to circumnavigate each part of Los Hermanos by land, where the sea permits egress enough for landing, until you have arrived at the Southern most part of it. There to rendezvous with the Watch Dog.

And Gentleman...I will have no risk taking, especially with loose debris in the water and the hazards of so many reefs.

Mister Lasseter, I should like a round dozen aboard Patricia, armed and equipped with such haversacks and bags as they can carry unhindered. I'll leave the choice of sailors to you and Mister Warren."

And so he did, saying nothing more on the matter as he began to eat the food before him. What followed was mixed conversation about the islands, weather and the boats.

Mister Lasseter enjoyed his drink, wrinkled his brow at the heavier downpour, but did not verbalize his thoughts... Instead he turned his minds eye to the dozen men he needed to choose to accompany him. It was a difficult choice, as Mr. Pew had already chosen several trusted men for his foray. After several minutes passed and much talk had gone around, he leaned nearer to the Captain...

"I think I got m'list o' lads figured out... There be M'self n' Mr. Warren, then Tucker, Styles, Thatcher, Morrell, Woodington, Mooney, Smyth, DInwiddie Whiting, and Marchande... And I was thinkin' mayhaps I'll take Wee mister Godfrey... We might have a tight spot tha' 'e c'n be useful fer... tha' makes a bakers dozen I know... "

He finished his drink and looked into the bottm of the glass.

"Thirteen's on'y unluck ta some... I call it an extra set o' hands.... but iff'n it matters, then I'll trade out Mooney fer Godfrey, Mooney's been sayin' 'e's feelin' poorly as of late... Mr. Pew, give us th' same set o' arms as yer party... What say you, Cap'n?"

He sat back and set his glass on the table, tracing his left middle finger around the edge...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

William agreed, filling the Quartermaster's glass as he spoke. "I have no quarrel with the list and the addition of the small lad is a wise one. Take pistols, muskets and hangers for half the company and pistols and tools for the other half."

"Aye." The Quartermaster agreed. "Some lanterns may be in order."

"And rope." Mister Warren added.

They nodded together. The second bell of the Forenoon Watch sounded, though it was somewhat muted by the downpour.

July 19, 1704 - Ward Room of the Watch Dog

Second Bell of the Forenoon Watch

"Right then..." Dorian sat up, picked up his glass in a salute drank it down and grinned, "Best we be off then... full daylight will be upon us... er, whate'er makes it through them storm clouds... So, M'boyo's... I'll be gatherin' th' necessaries I need, Mr. Warren, make th' picked crew aware of th' situation an' rig out th' Cutter... I'll be up in... no more'n two bells..." With that he nodded to the Captain and the others and headed out into the passageway...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Conversation, what there was to be had betwixt comfortable silences, lulled once more. The rough vessel of cafe' burden was measured down to its dregs when the Sphinx paused in scrutiny of the skies above, gathering the empty pot, he touched companions elbow to draw her attention.

"I believe that we should go below."

"Pour quoi?", she queried with slight raise of brow.

In near distance, the skies opened up to pelt waters below, stirring once placid surface. Jacquelyn nodded in accord, making way aft to gain downward ladder. The bottom was achieved none to soon as an oncore drenching struck rear sections of wooden nation, moving forward with earnest effort to sweep any evidence of drying away.

In a handfull of steps, he was at his cabin door. He entered, pulled his small cluster of keys from their place and found the proper on to open his sea chest. There he found and withdrew the two Dragoon pistols he had laid to rest not two days ago. In the dim light he checked them and find all to be well, he lay them on his desk. Reaching into his chest again he withdrew a bellybox, opened it and found it three quarters full of cartrages. "That shoud do, eight plus wot's in 'em..." He took off his belt and threaded it throught the loops of the box, then replaced the leather strap around his waist. the dragoons were then pushed into the belt as well. Stepping to the porthole/gun door, he raised it some and watched the rain stream off it into the water below,. Again he muttered, "Bloody weather..." Letting the door drop he stepped back to his desk. "Finally come ta 'r island an' no, we can't 'ave fine weather in which ta do a look-see, no... hasta piss down on us fer two bleedin' days wi' no sign o' lettin' up 'r movin' on... Bloody north sea be just as bad... 'sept fer th' coldness... " He mumbled a bit more to himself as he pulled two small pieces of oilskin from a drawer and took each pistol in turn and wrapped the firing works in them before putting them into former location. He shut and locked his chest, rechecked all his weapons and other acutraments. Satisfied, he exited his cabin to the sight the Surgeon and her mate coming below. they appeared to be slightly drowned. "Fine weather, eh?"

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Pushing a dampened strain of auburn tress back into check, the Surgeon looked up with a start. Inwardly she cursed herself for growing soft and too comfortable with her surroundings; a mistake that would have never occured a year in the past. Raphael offered a small nod of acknowledgment, but nothing more in opinion of current trends.

"Lovely weather and if but twenty degrees cooler, I would think we were in Portsmouth." She eyed Dorian with curiosity, taking in the outer wear and evident potrusion of pistol grip against oil cloth. "So...They are sending you ashore?"

"Aye... Two boats goin' off, one fer more mappin' o' th' isle an' surroundin' waters, th' other fer sniffin' out what been hidden by a "guest" we had aboard.... That'd be my pleasure this day.... I promise ta try not ta bring back any o' me lads in a broken state..." He grinned and winked at the Surgeon, enjoying the view and remembering back to a better one not so many hours past. "No worries, on'y real danger is gonna be keepin' warry o' the debris in th' water from 'at merchant wot wreck herself somewhere 'round here... And keepin' th' lads honest with wot we find... prey she wern't tellin' th' lie..."

He bobbed his head to the side and shrugged. "Might there be anything I might need 'r have from ye afore I depart?"

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

She considered what he asked, then turning to her Shadow spoke softly in native tongue. Chanault's eyes drifted to the Quartermaster briefly, then with head movement of affirmation, proceeded around her towards the Galley. Just as he entered deeper shadow of passageway narrow, he paused to look back at the other officer.

"Monsieur..." the soft verbose drifted back like smoke. "What you seek cannot be found at this time of the day. And a word of warning...To the east lies a reefhead just under water's surface, a dangerous foe unseen in weather such as this..."

Without further mention, the Frenchman dissipated further down the passageway, turning into Galley's entrance. Jacquelyn acted as though nothing lay out of the ordinary, dismissing the event with practiced ease.

Enigma's were what they were and to distract Dorian's focus, she moved to near chamber door.

The catch was released and she smiled with undertones of feral mannerism, " As to your request, query and answer..."