The Watch Dog

William Brand

August 5, 1704 - Aboard the Navarra

Not everyone who greeted them was as welcoming as Gasset, but none were standoffish or threatening. The Lieutenant greeted them as well as he had in times past, but he seemed bothered by something outside their scope. Perhaps it was something about his conversation as he showed them aft, but he seemed removed and would answer in turn only after slight pauses.

They were shown in at the room where officers of the Watch Dog had dined before and they were invited to dine there as well, as Capitán Avendano and Doctor Tarin were already eating.

"Please." was all that the Captain said, gesturing to the food on the table before him.

starboard Watches on Duty

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lucy

Though he had been relieved of duty at the change of watch, Mister Brisbane continued his vigil on deck, wishing they had anchored closer to the Navarra. Not that he had an uncomfortable feeling, he just wanted to be nearer to the merchant vessel to get a better look, even in the darkness. Nigel moved to the bow of the Lucy with the glass and steadied himself on the empty cathead. As he moved the glass from bow to stern of the Spaniard he made thoughtful noises.

“Hmm… aye… mmm yes indeed…”

Suddenly Nigel stiffened and gave a shiver. With an eyebrow raised he slowly looked around him and murmured to no one in particular.

“Someone’s got their eyes upon me… who might that – “

He froze as he locked eyes with who it was that had been staring at him. There, perched on the root of the bowsprit was the Pooka, intently staring at Nigel as if he was a fully dressed turkey just set out for Christmas dinner.

“Wot da ye see ya spooky critter? On’y me, Nigel…”

That explanation seemed enough and the feline blinked lazily, hoped down off his perch and came over to the Coxswain and placed his cold, wet nose on the man’s leg before rubbing his face across Nigel’s shin. Nigel just stared down at the cat and shook his head.

First bell of the First Watch, Starboard Watches on Duty

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

The first few minutes passed in relative silence, but for a few exchanges between William, Dorian and Durand about the how, when and where of getting to the docks. Then William focused on Ajayi and while Dorian held a lantern he went to work on the fingers. Ajayi did not need an explanation. William took his hand and they looked at one another for a sober second before William yanked. Ajayi doubled over and buried his head against William chest a moment. Then he let his head fall back with a look of diminishing pain and some relief. Then, he looked back at William. They performed this action several times, righting fingers that were bent and twisted out of place. It was horrible stuff, but the added relief that returned to Ajayi's face with each action was enough.

Then Ajayi was speaking in his own tongue, almost easily. William was glad of it, for the language took him away from the place and the moment.

They passed a cart man bound for home as they went. He was bearing apples unsold at market. Durand brought the procession to a halt to buy up the remainder. Everyone was glad of it, and there were several appreciative sounds and nods. Everyone was hungry. William passed the first apple offered him to Ajayi, and regretted it at once, remembering the man's teeth. Ajayi was not ungrateful. He simply gestured to William knife and pared off small pieces.

Then they were riding again, eating as they went. William ate without care of his beard, but soon realized he had lost or misplaced his handkerchief. He looked down at his hands and sleeves, finding them bloodied, soiled and dusty. He wiped his mouth on his sleeve almost in time with Dorian, and they shared a chuckle at their appearance. "Should we come upon anyone else before the Watch Dog, let us not call each other captain."

"Agreed." Dorian laughed and it was a good sound after so much darkness and shadows. "You there..." he called to Durand's man. "A good man with a lan'ern." The man did not understand, so Durand translated. The man smiled and shrugged and returned a line he seemed to draw from memory. William couldn't place it, but Dorian translated. "Let your light so shine before men..." he began, and William and Dorian finished the scripture together, though badly.

"We shall agree not to be priests as well."

"Aye."

The banter flowed. The apples disappeared. Ajayi looked almost happy to be alive, free and in their company. Almost, but sober as well.

As Maeve had long since left Luigi and she alone she watched as Luigi faded in and out with sleep, his body healing in it's own time. She rose from the chair by his bedside and began to pace the room once more her fingers toying with the loose ends of her braid. She had not seen or hear Argus in some time and she was ever curious about what was happening on the other side of the door. What were her shipmates up to? Had there been any word from the Captain. Ajayai she hoped would be found, he had once caught her from slipping in the rigging and she would never forget his kindness. Still it seemed that much was happening and she felt as if she were going crazy in the confines of the cabin. So she continued to pace the wooden floor unaware that Luigi was once again awake.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

He smiled to watch her pacing. "Y'll holystone the place, lass." He laid back and examined the place where one finger had been. "I'll be busy finding proper gloves."

Briar came in at the sound of conversation asked if they would want another candle. They both shook their heads. Briar checked Luigi's bandages once and gave Treasure a mildly scolding look before carrying a few bowls to the galley.

Treasure was still measuring the room in footsteps. Luigi shook his head. He looked a little blurry about the edges and too many hours abed with medicinal drink and not a little rum, where making him feel half drowned. "Miss Tribbiani..." She looked at him, but he found that he didn't know where he was going with the conversation. He smiled. "When she comes again, ask her for that candle...and perhaps eh book."

Treasure finally paused and moved to his bedside and once more took the chair nearest him. “I am sure gloves will be found easily, and I can help look if you would like. As for a candle and a book, I am unsure I should request anything after such a ferocious look!” She gave a mock shudder hoping to tease Luigi to better spirits even though he seemed fine. Still she could not imagine what thoughts must be in his head to have lost a finger, how would she have felt in his shoes. She was quite sure she would have been lost in dark thoughts and moods, but Luigi seemed to bear up well, she was rather amazed though she kept such from coloring her face. It would do no good to let him know them in any form or fashion and she would carry on as did he and keep the conversation light and free flowing. “As for books, I was reading one earlier, quite ghastly as it was a medical treatise and..well…my stomach shall never be the same I fear.” She shot him a wry grin and leaned back within the surrounds of the chair and pointed to said book.

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

"Beg a better tale. Kildare won't..." Luigi began but realized he was talking in English and didn't have to, so he continued in Italian. He talked freely about books and about those he had know. Briar came in at the door again after a time bearing tea. She offered some to each of them. Since sugar had come aboard, neither refused and as Briar poured, Luigi begged the boon of a book. Briar promised to search among her few tomes and perhaps ask Mister Warren for one from the Ward Room. She went in search of several volumes. "See...? She can't tie you to a chair with rope, but a book..."

She gave a laugh as Luigi teased her about being tied to a chair and as Briar returned with several books and helped Luigi to sit up plumping his pillows Treasure read over the titles and ran a finger along the leather spines lovingly. This she missed, the large library at home seemingly every nook and cranny had been filled. Russian, Latin, Italian, English and some had even been in Dutch and Spanish. She had always kept to that room, it had been her solace. Until her step father had ruined it for her by making sure he was ever present. She had fled the library after that sticking to the stables and the feeling of safety she had felt there though it had been fleeting as well.

Sighing heavily she pushed dark memories from her and read off the titles to Luigi and as he chose one she reverently opened the book and clearing her throat softly began to read.

Luigi was a good listener, having enjoyed many a good book in this fashion. He could read in Italian, but all other books were blank to him, and books from home were scarce since going abroad. He made a few comments from time to time, and sometimes interrupted with observations, but mostly he was quiet. As Treasure read he tried drinking with his diminished hand, but found it strange. "How shall I count to ten properly?" he quipped, flexing his remaining fingers. "Apologies. My thoughts wandered. Best start that last page over."

Treasure admired Luigi’s quick mind and often their debates were entertaining as both made points of intrest and both points were well argued. She took a sip of her tea and continued on then paused again as Luigi spoke of counting. She looked to his hand and tilted her head taking note of him holding his tea cup. “I am sure the strangeness will wear off and the bandages do not assist much in the grasping of things.” She began hesitantly. “And you still have a finger Luigi, though tis now shorter.” Again she broke off and cleared her throat then opened the book again to re-read the page as he had requested but her hand soothed the page and her breath was shakily inhaled.. Then she looked at him once more, her eyes large and thoughtful her voice low and husky when she continued “What you did Luigi, you saved her from a fate worse than death. Tis a badge of honor that you will always carry.” She wanted to say more but could not find the words and as he merely nodded at her words she returned to the written word and let her voice filter the stillness once again. This time there was no banter, no insight just her voice and soon the gentle snores of Luigi having drifted to sleep on the melody of the story she read.

Glancing up from the book she studied his peaceful features and hoped that he had found some measure of peace with her words. For if he had not been there, had not stopped what could have been….She gave a shiver and slowly closed the book and setting it aside let her thoughts drift till she and her younger brother were racing through the gardens as fat drops of rain began to fall. She could smell the rain, the wet earth the flowers from her beloved mothers roses. Her face tilted up as the drops settled upon her face, the love she felt for her brother, the joy in that moment would stay with her forever. Both had been laughing so hard that neither were aware of the danger that would soon come..of the death she blamed herself for. Gritting her teeth she squeezed her eyes shut and battled the tears that she would not allow to fall. It was her fault, no matter what was said, she should have saved him…Rising angrily she fluidly paced yet again, restless energy prodding her to movement and to forget by pushing herself past the limits.

She slowed taking in the peaceful Luigi and her gaze was drawn to his hand and realized that all had their own demons to face, it was how you faced them that made you who you were.

Preston and the men were a bit taken aside from the hospitality of the Spanish crew. The ship's master had expected a gruff reception but had yet to see it. Joseph and Peter stood nearest the door. The lieutenant once again motioned to a set of chairs located around the table. Mister Pew looked to the Lieutenant and then the Capitán, "Thank you sah. Ship's Master Preston Whitingford sah." Preston removed his cap and placed it in his hand. The Captain looked up from his plate as Preston continued the introductions of his men. The Captain merely nodded and gestured again to the table.

The men of the Lucy sat. Their cups were filled instantly. Joseph and Peter remained a step or two from the table, though relaxed and sitting. Preston sat closest to the Doctor while Charlie sat opposite Capitán Avendano. Maurice was to Preston's right, close enough to translate should it become necessary, flanked again by Dries.

Plates were placed in front of the men. The men each in turn waited, watching Preston to determine if they should partake. Some bits of cheese and bread made their way to the plates and the men slowly ate. "Capitán Avendano," Preston began, "Captain Brand sends 'is regards 's well 's apologies."

Capitán Avendano stopped chewing and drank from his crystal goblet. "Oh?"

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Dorian replayed the day’s events through his mind, or what he could recall of the day’s events. He hoped that a repeat of it would not happen any time soon, or ever again, God willing. The banter between the men on horseback and carriage was lighthearted, or as lighthearted as could be for the past happenings. The time went quickly and soon they pulled into the town and halted the carriage at the water’s edge. Dorian hopped out of the carriage and stretched his weary frame.

“Lordy… I’ve a mind ta not set foot ashore fer a year’s time after all this.”

Turning to the carriage, he helped Ajayi and William out. They stood looking out into the darkness and saw the familiar lights of the Watch Dog riding at anchor. Dorian turned to William.

“Where do you s’pose Mister Wellings and our Surgeon might be?”

Upon hearing the name of his shipmate spoken, Ajayi broke into the conversation.

“Jos-wah, alive? No dead?”

Dorian smiled and nodded.

“Aye, we found him poorly, but he were alive when we last saw him. Had him brought here ta be looked at by th’ ship’s Surgeon.”

Weather it was too much for Ajayi to understand or just that he was that much in disbelief, Ajayi repeated himself.

“Jos-wah alive? Aye?”

“Aye Lad, aye…”

Ajayi raised his abused hands to the sky and softly sang in his native tongue to the heavens while those around him watched and listened, only guessing what praises he sang to whatever god or goddess he prayed to.

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

Preston explained the comings and going of Brand as he understood them, and not knowing Avendano, let alone all of the mysteries of the past 12 hours, he took the middle ground. He was neither too brief nor too long winded and Avendano seemed satisfied on every detail. Actually, he was almost too easily placated, returning at once to the matter of food and drink without another word.

Preston had expected to be questioned, perhaps ordered about and returned to the Lucy in short order. Instead, they found themselves the idle guests of a luxurious table with no need to make explanations for themselves. Even more than this, Avendano was a removed host, who seemed content to watch them eat without conversation.

After a time Charlie gave Preston a sort of facial shrug from where he sat. Maurice, left with nothing to translate, accepted the wine and fare continuously set before him. Peter looked skeptical and approached every bite with the caution of one testing poisoned food for a pontificate, but Joseph was glad of the food and ate freely.

It was the Lieutenant that marred the seemingly perfect, casual scene. He drank nothing. He ate little. He engaged in conversation polite enough, but like Avendano, he did not openly engage them in conversation.

It was a strange supper among strangers, but at least the cook was worth his shares.

The men ate for some time, cups being refilled at regular intervals. Preston was quite unclear of the situation. He was expecting the Captain to act one way, yet he did not. Though his name bade a formal position, Preston Ellery Whitingford was never the one for politics or prancing about in fineries caressing another's ego. Do it and be done. How much longer were they stay? What was considered polite conversation? The wine was beginning to seep into his brain. He looked around to his men. 'On their best behaviour' he heard his father remarking once when Preston and his brother were brought before the Virginia governor with their Mum. A dinner similar to this one: little talk, much formality, making a statement while again saying very little. His gaze met the eyes of each of the men again.

Preston smiled and thought to himself whom his brother was most similar to here in this room. He drained his goblet slowly and sighed.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

The Lucy

The work of making port done with, and the Ship’s Master meeting on the Navarra with her Captain, the crew of the Cutter settled some. There was no immediate danger perceived, however the Master-at-Arms kept the marines on deck at the ready. Mister Flint was not about to make them stand at attention the whole time, but they were to keep themselves at the ready if called to action. They broke off in small groups, some sat on the great guns while others leaned on the rails. The rest of the crew, those on and off duty, prepared themselves for a quiet night. Young John Van Baerle had been off duty for a time and had come back on deck to enjoy some of the night air. He walked towards the bow, weaving in and out of the men and equipment on deck. John found a place along the rail and leaned on it, facing to shore. All the lights of the town and imposing fortress made quite a sight, and occasionally a sound made its way across the bay, singing, music or incoherent noise. He yawned all of a sudden and gave a shudder, causing him to grab tightly onto the rail. As fate would have it, it was the same section of rough that Mister Wenge had found. He pulled his hand away quickly.

“Vervloekt ben!”

Rubbing his hand he felt a stab. Sure enough a splinter had lodged in his palm. Tentatively, he ran his other hand across the spot of rail and shook his head. Immediately he set off to the Carpenter’s cabin, hoping to find the man or at the worst ‘borrow’ a blockplane or file and remedy the jagged section of rail.

Four Bells of the First Watch, Starboard Watch on duty

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Cul de Sac Royal

The evening breeze drifted across the harbor. It was a light northeasterly breeze dragging the humidity from the hills before dumping it into the harbor. Along the way it picked up smells from the town ordinarys now wafting towards the ships at rest. Lights danced on the water from the lanterns lit among the many vessels now resting from their journeys afar.

Jerrod Styles looked about for any sign from Preston and the party aboard the Navarra. He watched in the growing darkness the path they took around the few vessels between the Lucy and the Navarra. He saw nothing. His eyes took him from ship to ship around them, watching for a moment or two before moving on. It was a quiet night, save for the light music drifting over the water and laughter he heard from the deck below. Jerrod sighed and continued his watch atop his perch.

Maeve stood over Ajayi for nearly a quarter of an hour since Eric had discovered the captains and their party recently arrived to the docks. The damage to Ajayi, though not fatal, was extensive and tragic. Maeve was exhausted now by the long wait of a hot day in a hot room and the sudden and intensive care of Mr. Wellings. She was becoming shaky on her feet and began to feel a bit nauseated. She hoped it didn’t show on her face. The doctor chewed her lip as everyone pressed close. Too close it seemed. Captain and Brand stood hard by waiting, taciturn and anxious for his maltreated man while Captain Lasseter spoke in low tones to a very tired Mr. Wellings.

"Tis a wonder they didn't kill him", Tudor said darkly.

William's eyes glittered in the low light. "They would never destroy property", he said flatly, his voice carrying something unspoken.

Gingerly, Maeve finally decided to inspect Ajayi's fingers. The ring and little finger of his right hand had been broken. Ajayi and Maeve both were greatful for the laudinum having had enough time to take effect as she went about that particular business. She carefully sewed up the worst of Ajayi wounds with her finest silk thread. The doctor discovered two cracked ribs as well, but those would have to heal on their own in time. After a time, Maeve stepped back, looking pale, and declared she'd done all she could for now and excused herself to step outside.

MaeveBanner_justbarber.jpg

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending"

- Maria Robinson

The dinner aboard the Navarra ended all at once, going from the first act through the third with little or no narrative. The underlying moodiness of the Lieutenant was not explained and Avendano remained cordial but quietly removed until the last. He went with them to the weather decks, wishing them well, but in few words. He sent Preston with a bottle of something amber colored and old, the label long since faded. The Lieutenant was brief as he had been all night, but Gasset was as pleasant again as he had been upon their arrival.

"Peculiar supper." Charlie said, when they were far enough from the Spanish merchantman for his voice not to carry. The others chorused this in their own way, speaking of the company and not the fare.

Preston examined the label by their solitary lantern. It was either a very lightly colored sack or a very dark white wine, and he noted the only legible word 'Rioja'. He didn't know why then, but the words of an associate of his father came to him as he turned the bottle over and over in his hands. The phrase had not crossed his mind in the many years since he had heard it last, but he recalled it quite clearly.

"Only those with a tolerance for intrigues may escape the poison secreted within them".

Captain Lasseter stood next to Joshua Wellings where he had been laid after the Surgeon had seen to his wounds. He spoke in low tones and Joshua responded in a weary voice.

“Feelin’ better lad? Surgeon fixed ya up well… got that ball outta ya an’ all.”

“Aye, sah… I’m… not much pain now… you found Ajayi… is he… he a’right?”

“He’s a might worse fer wear, but no worries… you just rest easy an’ we’ll be back aboard the Watch Dog soon enough… Miss O’Treasaigh, that is, Doctor O’Treasaigh’ll have ye fit enough yer gonna be on Forenoon watch, lad, right along wi’ Ajayi.”

Wellings smiled and a dry chuckle came to his lips, followed by a slight painful grimace. Dorian put a hand on the man’s shoulder and nodded.

“Rest easy lad…”

He nodded in return and the Captain crossed his hands behind his back. Wellings closed his eyes and sighed, then began breathing slowly. Dorian left him to his rest and walked past where Ajayi lay, resting as well. Captain Brand stood at a window looking out towards the ocean and so many ships at anchor. Dorian was going to engage him in light conversation but decided against it, instead he stepped outside and took in some air. The Surgeon was seated on a small bench just outside the building with her head hung down. As Dorian’s shoes crunched on some shell and gravel, she looked up.

“Doctor… fine work ye do there Ma’am… fine work indeed…”

She smiled and nodded her thanks for the praise and pushed a stray lock of hair from her face. Dorian nodded back and smiled as well and noted the fatigue on her face. It looked like all present company needed a well deserved nights sleep. However, it was doubtful they would get such, just yet. Dorian noted which direction the breeze and took a couple steps away from the Surgeon and took his pipe from his hat, knocked out the bowl and began refilling it from the tobacco pouch from his coat pocket.

Edited by Dorian Lasseter

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

William stepped outside in time and was grateful for the breeze. He stood with the others, milling about with no particular effort of purpose or conversation. Everyone was tired, even the men of Durand who were waiting with Rousseau's carriage nodded where they stood or sat. Durand himself was nowhere to be seen at first, but he arrived in short order, bearing fare more substantial than the apples. The grateful assembly were thankful for the food which disappeared into every receiving hand.

"How shall I repay your kindness, Monsieur?" William asked him at one point during the quiet which followed the eating.

Durand was patting his vest and coat pockets for something and he shrugged. Then he found his pipe. "Perhaps some tobacco?" Durand returned. William smiled at this, but as he smoked so seldom, he never carried any of his own. Dorian passed what he had with him and the two men were soon in a lazy cloud of smoke and conversation. Dorian and Durand seemed strangely at ease, almost affable, and given Durand's threatening presence on the Lucy at their first meeting, this was surprising. Perhaps the common enemy they both shared in Rousseau had placed them on an even keel one with another.

While they talked, William engaged Miss O'Treasaigh with a few direct questions, wishing to know how soon they might return to their waiting ships. She did not answer at first and blinked once, coming back from some thought or thoughts. She spoke plainly, measuring the Captain's pressing business against her patients. She assured him that aboard ship or on land, Ajayi and Joshua would heal, Of this she was certain. William was glad of the news and went to wake any who had dosed.

It was time to quit the island.

Preston was tired. He merely wanted to lie down, or even sit back in the large chair in the ward room and fall asleep. Preston dipped his hand in the water again and washed his face.

"Ahoy the Lucy," called Charlie as they neared their vessel.

A return call was made by Nigel himself. Within minutes they had hooked to the chains and returned topside on the Lucy. The crew was largley on deck enjoying the evening. A few men smoked and chatted amiably. Others merely leaned on the rail and looked out among the vessels while enjoying simple tots of rum. Preston reported to Nigel that all had gone well, oddly enough. Nigel reported nearly the same to Preston save for a minor injury to John Van Baerle. Preston nodded and shook hands with Nigel, excusing himself to the Ward Room.

The room was dark and slightly musty. He wondered momentarily where Ash had disappeared to. Preston placed the bottle on the table. He made his way to the window and propped it open, instantly inhaling deeply the fresh breeze now driving into the room. He fumbled around slowly searching for the shaded lantern. The ship's master lit the candle and closed the glass door. He removed a tankard from the tiny cupboard. Mister Whitingford pulled a bottle out from the desk and removed the cork with his teeth. Pouring himself a heavy tankard full of the liquid, he sighed. Within minutes he was sound asleep, sitting in Dorian's chair, feet propped on the table facing astern.

Navigation Log of the Lucy:

Direction: Bow facing NNE

Speed: At rest

Wind: Calm, from the N

August 5, 1704 - The Docks of St. Pierre

Ajayi and Wellings were brought to the docks like so much delicate luggage. Ajayi tried several times to bear himself, but William would have none of it, insisting that both men should be born to the small boats. Durand and his men followed and William was at a loss for those words to make a proper farewell. Durand had done them much service and he wanted to make his gratefulness known. Still, as hard pressed as William was to explain himself, he was rendered utterly speechless by an unexpected, sudden and mysterious request from Durand upon reaching the water's edge.

"Would you do me the honor of bearing me hence to Trinidad, Capitaine?" Durand asked even as William extended his hand to bid his farewells.

William could only repeat the question with a question. "To Trinidad, Monsieur...?"

"Oui."

William exchanged a look with Dorian who was waiting for William at the dock's edge. Dorian paused as he was handing a musket to Tudor. William looked back at Durand. "What business brings you there, Monsieur?"

"My own, Capitaine."

William nodded. "But surely you will be missed, Monsieur?"

"I have explained all." Durand returned, removing a letter from vest pocket. William had seen Durand penning a letter that very night while the Doctor had attended to Ajayi, but had thought nothing of it. Durand stood waiting.

Unable to think of any significant cause not to take the man into his company, especially one who had proved himself invaluable of late, William was obliged to say 'yes' and found that he was glad to do so. "I would be honored, Monsieur."

Durand smiled after his own fashion and passed the letter to a somewhat bewildered Babineaux. They exchanged only a few words, for Durand would not let himself be plied with questions. Instead, he paid his men handsomely and sent them with instructions to ride hard to St. Louis with his letters of explanation. He would go with the company of the Watch Dog and perhaps send more word from the Cul du Sac Royal. Only the briefest of farewells followed as Durand gathered those few belongings he had with him. Then Durand, Dorian, William and their company pushed away from the docks, bound for the waiting frigate and her welcoming watch lanterns.

As the small boats were making the crossing from shore to the frigate, Dorian closed his eyes and smiled to himself as they were borne upon the water, no longer treading upon land. He put a hand to his face and scratched his jaw, covered with two day old stubble and realized at that moment he had nothing aboard the Watch Dog to rid himself of the hair, not other clothes to change into. Two days or more in the same clothes were nothing new to the man, but these were finery, a newly purchased suit that had already experienced being soaked in a tropical storm and plenty more. Dorian had thought he’d be wearing this in polite company or to receive the same aboard the Lucy. All he could do was smile at the folly and give a sigh. Looking around at the others, Dorian noticed how worn everyone appeared. All seemed lost in their own thoughts until they were within hailing distance of the ship and Mister Warren called out.

“Ahoy the Saint Kitt!”

Dorian took in a lung full and was about to answer when William called out quicker.

“Ahoy the Watch Dog! Mister Warren, Some strong hands to bring aboard our wounded men, if you please!”

“Aye-aye Captain!”

He turned away from the rail and orders could be heard repeated on deck. Soon a score of men were looking down at the Longboat and waiting for them to bump along side.

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Startled by the shouts upon deck she woke dropping the book from her chest to her lap and scrambled to keep it from falling to the floor, the cabin having grown dim as the candle was nearly gutted out. A pain in her neck reminded her she had been reading and fell asleep in the chair. A quick glance to Luigi showed him unmoved by the shouts. Rising she placed the book upon the small table and hurried to the door. It sounded as if the captain were back and she almost stepped free of the cabin to see for herself but halted for she had been told to stay here till released. As Luigi began to wake she moved back to his side and touched his shoulder as he tried to rise. “Shhh! I think tis the Captain.” She whispered seeking to soothe him back to sleep, but he would have none of it and again tried to swing his legs weakly over the side of the bed and she arched a brow and said she would sit upon him if she had to. “Why must ye be so stubborn!” That got his attention and he chortled weakly “The pot calling the kettle black I think” She rolled her eyes and shook her head at him “You will be still or I shall have the captain tie ye down!” She assured him as she moved back to the door and pressed her ear against it to see if she could hear what passed.

Their homecoming was busy and brief. All were brought aboard as quickly and carefully as possible, with a good number of volunteers to bear the men to the surgery. Joshua and Ajayi were welcomed in turn with the expected looks of relief and sympathy they had earned in their absence.

William dismissed all the others to sleep if they desired it, but Tudor would not take rest before offering to fetch soap, water and a clean shirt for every man present. William did not refuse her generosity, nor did he ignore the sideward glance she gave to Durand as he stood with his blind side to her.

"Mister Warren..." William began, turning to Jim. "...Monsieur Donatien Durand." Jim nodded, and with his uncanny ability to be cordial with even the most unpleasant of persons, greeted the man as if for the first time. "Please see what accommodations can be found for our guest." William added. Jim did not pause as he said 'Aye, sah' but he did wonder for a fraction of a moment if William had intended 'guest' to sound less hospitable, suggesting that Durand was their prisoner. Durand put out his hand and this thought passed at once. Jim passed on William's orders as William began orders anew that would see the Watch Dog borne into an encroaching tomorrow.