Public Demos

Over in the Plunder thread, we were discussing top ten kit items, and a side topic sprung up out of that, which i find to be of particular intrest. So, lets here from you folks on public demos. What do YOU do to educate/entertain the crowds?

I'm still making the crossover from frontiersman to inland mariner, so my nautical skills are... well... I have none.

i pretty much stopped going to the "mountain man" gigs several years ago, and opted for Colonial events that emphasize historical demonstrations.

In my hunters camp, my son and I do firestaring, bullet moulding, and cooking REAL venison and sometimes hide curing when a fresh hide is available. We also give lessons on historical terms and phrases still in use today, as well as answer questions about our clothing and gear. The one thing that impresses people the most, next to the firestarting, is that if we are unsure or don't know the answer, that's what we tell them, and write the question down to research for the future. I've already had three people come to the next years event just to see and hear us and find out if we learned the answer or not. (we're three for three so far!)

We also do loading and firing flintlock firearms when permitted, and as any who are familiar with them, occaisionally they need adjustment and minor repair. As Foxe said, this generates a crowd as well when you pull out the tool kit from the shooting pouch, sit down against a tree and do it!

OK, enough about me... your turn!

Capt. Bo

I need to spend some time in your camp! :o

The only thing I'm involved in right now are historically based fight demos using cutlass, sabre, hawk, knife and boarding axe. While it always draws a crowd and we love to talk about it, the environment around are camp needs a lot of work.

:o

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

What I do depends to a large extent on the event. If there is accessible water at the event then I spend much of my time playing in my boat... er, I mean doing nautical demonstrations...

For dry-land events I really enjoy doing period navigation with kids. With a group of four or five kids we show them how seamen worked out speed and direction, by giving one of them a log line, one a sand glass, one a compass and the fourth the loose end of the log line. The fourth kid then has to run in a straight line while his friends work out his speed and direction. With more kids you can add in more stuff - one kid can hold the log line while another counts the knots, one or two can keep track on a traverse board, etc.

I also do practical ropework demonstrations.

But, as I said in Plunder, my best thing is simply to throw open my sea-chest and field the questions.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Well, you both have talents I would love to learn! We give out the musket ball that we run to the kids as a "souvenier" at the events we do. This is a BIG hit! I started doing the Mountain Man thing first, back in 1988, a year after I discharged from the Navy. I've been involved in the Civil War as a Raider, as I was born and lived in Cass County Mo. near the Jackson County line, and knew all about Quantrill and Anderson from the local old folks. The "Battle in the Ravines" between Quantrill and Union soldiers was three miles from where I was born. Anyhow, the CW boys didn't like me around because I wasn't "properly Uniformed Regular soldier", even though all my gear was correct for my portrayal, from my three .36 cal. revolvers, and 12 ga. dbl, and a properly tacked horse! The bastards!

OK, getting off topic... sorry!

I hope the day comes when we all can put our talents in one camp! :)

Later... Capt. Bo

This isn't realy what you were asking for, it's not very period correct, but it is funny....

I usualy take a nap durring the middle of the day... on one side of me are a bunch of bottles of "rum" and on the other a bunch of emptys....

It's realy "hoaky", but I'm probably the most photographed sleeping Pyrate in the world....... :lol:

On the same sorta subject.... at Fairs, etc... the "rum" (durring the day ) is just cleaned out bottles full of ice tea... it gives me something to drink and stay hydrated.......

For more authentic..... I've been handsewing a linen shirt, it's taking me forever to get it finished this way,....

Yeah, but I bet it becomes your favourite (and longest lasting) shirt, Pat!

Since my portrayal is a Procuress who runs a coffee and chocolate shop in Covent Garden, I mostly try to recruit young girls (and boys) to come work for me. Or I shower men with flattery and try to sell them one of my girls.

If the environment isn't right for that, I talk about coffee, tea and chocolate and how different they were than the stuff we drink today. Depending on the attention span of the audience, I might even get into how tea became "English" (because Charles II married Catherine of Braganza, Princess of Portgual and part of her dowry was the port of Bombay!).

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Patrick,

That is something I want to see myself! I would consider that an historical demo anyday! :)

Damn good idea for hydration too, very original. Kinda hard to take photos of yourself napping, so I won't ask you to send one, I'll just have to wait til we camp at the same spot.

Later.... Capt. Bo

Well, you both have talents I would love to learn!

Well, throw some dates at me (the calendar kind) of where ye'll be and when camp-wise. Might just surprise ya sometime in 2007!

:(

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

:(;) Aye, that would be a heck of a sight to see... Patrick laying about surrounded by bottles!

Not had the joy of Piracy Portrayal to the finest and purest ... yet. But doing the Rev War... let's see... as a Lady... some sewing (breeches, shirt, stays, embroidery..), cooking, upkeep with the camp, fetching wood and water...

As a Dragoon... firing on the battlefields (only!), marching and drill demos, cleaning the weapons assisting new recruits, demo of what somethings are for by explaination (physical on and with a horse is a long, slow road at the moment as the latest vote turned down the use of horses for the Dragoon units, which is rather disturbing for those of us who want to bring horses in. again, defeated)... writing with period items both as a Lady and as a Dragoon, I'm the "Scribe" of Lee's Legion.

Not much else really... though, Still hope to get some help and training on being a cannoneer from one of the Artillery units.

Most of my demos are Rev War related. But not incredibly rich since the Dragoon part is what I want to do most of all.. it's rather difficult to do those demos without a horse though.

;)

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

We don't have dates around here anyhow. Walnuts, Hickory nuts and acorns I have plenty though! Look out! :(

I don't know about '07 yet, but I'd like to get out your way somewhere some of us grass roots Bucc.'s could guzzle some rum together. I'll do some legwork on events some where out west of me to see if we can find some location to converge on and Buccaneer the hell outta things!

Later... Capt. Bo

Bo...

Ya make me droolin' and eager for some period fun!

The closest event to 18th c that I will possibly be at will be Shelbyville, IL the 2nd weekend of June.

Do need to try sometimes to meet up... if the Fates allow in some point into the future.

:(

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Aye, the horse argument REALLY raises my hair! We have two and a good mule as well, but almost every site that CLAIMS to be intrested in authenticity doesn't allow the use of horses. Further proof that insurance lobby runs the government, not the people.( Bo jumps on soap box screaming pariotic revolution slogans to forment a new rebellion :) )

There is a "School of Artillery" event at the Fort DeChartres every year, and I cannot find my pamphlet, but they do have a web page. I know that they offer class and a nationally recognized certification for the completion of the course. You might look into that if you like.

I rode into several rendevous that were on private land during my "mountain man" phase, and we couldn't go a mile on the roads without someone pulling over to take a photo. One of the more memorable moments was a CW camp put on by a local gun club, and myself and two others portraying Guerrilla Raiders stormed the camp on horseback at dawn, having rode in the night before and camped under a nearby bridge. We scouted the camp in the dark on foot so that we knew the layout, and at dawn we rode through firing blank loads and raising hell so much that most of the regulars just ran for the parking lot in their skivvies!

They really hated us after that! THAT'S the kind of thing I like to do, so be careful what you suggest around me, I'm liable to just do it! :)

:o:o:o:o Capt. Bo

I will never forget a similar thing that happened to me at an ECW event a few years ago (ok, maybe a decade). We were in a castle doing a living history event for a weekend. I was a junior officer, and on the Sunday all the prominent people of the garrison (including me) sat down for lunch together in the main hall. Suddenly the officer of the watch comes in, doffs his hat and says "Er, Sir, the enemy are approaching the gate...".

It was a good lunch, so the C.O. (who assumed it was some kind of scenario) says "Very good, you deal with it Captain, I'll come out after lunch and see what's going on". The public all laugh. The captain leans over to the C.O. and says very quietly " No, really Simon, there's a regiment marching down the road towards the castle..."

It turned out that one of the other regiments in the society had had their own event a few miles away, but theirs was only a one day event on the Saturday, so they'd camped over and thought they'd surprise us by marching up to the castle and demanding our surrender the following day. They succeeded in surprising us, that's for sure. :o

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

You mates have lots of great ideas, and obviously a lot of great skills as well! :)

Our Crew of the Revenge did our first public pirate demo at Fort Gaines (Dauphin Island, Alabama, near Mobile) last month. Capt. Cobbs likes to shoot his blunderbuss and pistol, and explain to the folks what he's doing. His mate Nancy and mine Jan the Pyrate Queen did a period cooking demo; only problem was that the visitors didn't really make the connection that they were part of our crew.

I took the part of Quartermaster, and explained the vessel, cannon, and plunder: tried to dispel the myth that pirates booty was usually doubloons and gems. The problem there was that they obviously weren't interested in the mundane things that pirates normally did plunder.

They loved the cannon, though (it's actually a 1/4 scale model Civil War tube on a naval carriage), and asked many intelligent questions about it.

We also had the kids (adults too, if they wanted) sign Articles, and they got to keep it: we told them to report back tomorrow, for we sailed! We also gave them a "pirate coin" as an advance, and some other fun stuff like hooks and eye patches.

All said, we tried to strike a balance between entertaining and educating them. I was pleased with the results for a first time effort, and I'm seldom pleased with anything! ;)

Next time around, the Pyrate Queen will talk about navigation, the Sea Wolf will take the QM role, Bosun Carmina will be the sail maker, and I will be the gunner.

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Good show Cap'n!

Involving the kids is a key to success at any event. You might consider adding in rolling blank paper musket cartridges, and letting the kids pull the trigger on a musket . We did a militia muster where the kids signed a muster sheet with a quill pen, drilled with wooden "muskets" we made, and then we helped them roll the cartridge , load and fire the musket, and gave out musket ball cast by the fire. These kids were absolutely glowing when they left our camp! I've never recieved so many thank you's from people before or since. Keep up the good work, it's worth every bit of effort. :)

Capt. Bo

Thanx Mister Redwake!

With my vivid imagination I can see the bottles surrounding Mr. Hand... outstanding! Can't wait to empty some bottles with you gents to make it happen! Too soon to tell, but I might just bring my kit to PIP this year.

Cap'n. William, I'm on the Frapper map, But to make it easy, I'm in Missourah on the Osage river near Truman Dam, which separates Truman Lake from Lake of the Ozarks. Lots of water, but two dams to keep me from navigating all the way to the Mo. river and on to the Mississippi, and down to the Gulf. Out in the sticks north of the town of Warsaw.

Capt. Bo