Movie project

Gabriel

I've been talking with a friend of mine recently, and we came up with a crazy idea... We're going to try and make a serious film, using our rather meager resources, and make it not be obviously low-budget. The kid's a technical genius, and after discussing it a while we've decided that it is in fact quite possible to pull off with a few certain techniques, and some of the equipment and acquaintances (and their equipment) that we have at our disposal. So far we've done a bit of work into the plot now that it's been deemed possible, and we've decided it'll be in a renaissance-type setting, in a somewhat fantasy land due to the fact that filming based in Iowa without options for travelling too far wouldn't work for a credibly historical version of what we want, but the main extent will be not having exactly historically accurate things as well as it being a made-up place with made-up people and such.

While we aren't anywhere near being ready to film, seeing as we're planning on it being a full-length film and we've barely yet got a plot outline, but another one of the things we're planning to do is record an original soundtrack for it. We know a whole lot of amazing musicians in the area, but I figured it'd be worth a shot also to see if there's anybody out in the pub who'd be interested in helping with anything like that - recorded music, written out compositions to use, anything of the sort. We've also got involved in the project a friend of mine who is awesome at using all kinds of music software things... like can turn a plain midi file into sounding like a full orchestra with some synthesizer programs he has, but anyway... Basically even if all you can do is just one part of a musical thing (voice, and instrument, etc.), we'd be able to make it into part of a bigger piece of music or whatever through that.

Basically our goal is to make a movie that the audience can actually connect with on an emotional level and such, and it's going to be a lot of work on our part, filming and especially post-production, so if there's anything anybody can think of to help out even a little bit, that'd be awesome. Also, if anyone out there would like to help out with tips and advice, costuming (donations, easy/cheap patterns, advice, etc.), fight choreography (we're planning on have a number of fights, including a mass battle, which after thinking on it seems a lot more feasibly possible even with low-budget than it could be), aforementioned musical help, and especially cameras and other filming equipment, or anything else you can think of. Also, whenever we've got a script out and start filming, if anyone in the area would want to play an extra at some point, or even possibly one of the film's characters if possible. We're also looking into possibilities for filming at a period-ish town, possibly at one of the permanent ren faire sites around or something like that, so if anyone has information on anything like that, like places we could use and who to contact for it, that would also be a ton of help.

It was kinda funny... all started from a "wouldn't it be crazy if...", then became "Wait a minute, we could actually do this!" Once we've got stuff in the works, we'll probably start figuring things out for some fund-rasing benefits and that sort of thing. Hopefully we'll manage to pull it all off, everyone we've talked to about it has been excited about the whole idea of it. Anyway, that's all I can think of to say right now, and once again any kind of help would be very much appretiated.

Wow, thats an ambitious project ye have there, lad. To make a full lenght motion picture and borrow/steal/wheedle the cameras, costumes, music and sets from folks.

I like it! A very piratey way o making it happen. I can give ye some music o course and possibly lend, LEND mind ye, a costume or two.

That is of course unless you two run out o what ye been smokin and decide by the light o day it be a phantasm.

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

I'm not saying it was never a crazy idea, but after discussing it and looking at what resources and abilities we've got at our disposal, it's starting to look very possible. Of course it's going to take a very long time to do it. As of now we don't even have a script, and that alone will take a while to get done due to the length of the movie, and the fact that in order for all the work to be worth it and come out good in the end it's gonna need a pretty darn good plot behind it. I was mainly posting all that above to just see what other possible resources would be out there too, so definitely thanks for the offer, and I'll be sure to keep updates here with how things are going and when we reach the stage of needing certain things and such.

Oh, and actually we've been coming up with everything without any chemicals messing up our brains... though there have been some kinda low budget movies out there made under the influence of a lot of drugs that have gotten a large cult fanbase... anybody seen Rocky Horror Picture Show? :unsure:

Dennis Hopper, Peter Fonda... EASYRIDER... :) This is AMERICA folks, it CAN happen, HAS happened, and WILL again as long as there are people willing to work for it and not give up at the first sign of difficulty. Go for it Gabriel. I'm in Missouri and when you need help, just ask.

Capt. Bo

Ahoy, Gabriel!

I PMed ya already before I read this post of yours.

What a brilliant idea. Tis good t' see others out there wanting to do something fun and exciting. :)

Welp, seeing as you are in the Quad Cities, just an hour from me, lad. As I live over here in the Cedar Rapids area! A wicked pirate close enough to ya! Word can spread quickly enough.

Let me know what you are wanting and needing, can't guarantee anything, but I can spread the word on what extras you need or even major and minor parts.

PLENTY of folks around these parts who are with Ampguarde, SCA, and various re-enactment associations.

I am not just a pirate, but a Revolutionary War re-enactor as well.

Belt out yer idea t' me, laddie. I'm rather interested in assisting you gents.

The Royaliste will be in Chicago in August. Bounty may eventually still sail the Mississippi (whenever it's released from it's duty of being used in the PotC sequels), New ship going in up at Bristol (north of Chicago, it's a ren faire), new ren faire place in DM... Port Washington is coming up, Amana Colonies Labor Day Weekend... Ushers Ferry here in CR... and the re-enactments I go to... plenty of places! :)

And yes... I saw Rocky Horror Pic show... I'm one of the few (VERY few) who CANNOT stand that film!

:huh:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!