Market Research

Everyone,

I am considering re-opening Slop Shop Reproductions, and was wondering what items you would like to see reproduced. My main focus is going to be War of Jenkins Ear items so I can supply the increasing WOJE maritime hobby down here, but I would be glad to do anything from 1700-1749.

Now, I know that one of the first items requested will be slop contract coats. I have patterns and can make them, but will not be able to anytime soon. My source for grey wool kersey has run dry, and I have been unable to find another. There is a company which I can contract a run of cloth for, but it requires an initial investment of $7500 that I do not have (trying to save for tuition this fall) along with leaving me with enough cloth to make 41 jackets which is definitely more than people who want them. If someone has a source for the grey kersey, I'd be glad to start offering them again. A shipmate of mine has a lead on some undyed kersey that he's trying to dig up again, in which case I might attempt experiments with dyeing the kersey later on and offer them that way. Either way, for the time being, I won't be able to crank out Slop Contract coats like I used to.

Just as a slop shop offered more than just clothing, I am open to suggestions for items other than clothes.

Cheers,

Adam C., Slop-man

Slop Shop Reproductions

P.S. I'm seriously considering one item that will make you pipe smokers happy.....

A few notes:

1. My friend was unable to find the plain kersey, so I'm back to nothing on that front. Personally, authenticity is a big deal to me, but I have had a few shipmates suggest using similar fabrics to the kersey since kersey just can not be had. Thoughts/opinions on that one?

2. When/if I re-start the business, it will be in-stock instead of on an order-by-order basis. If you suggest clothing items you'd like to see reproduced, I'm also interested in what sizes most people could use.

3. A shipmate of mine is working on a connection for hand knit goods, so we may be offering those in the future (mostly stockings since hats are relatively easy to procure). It has not been firmed up, but if we're lucky, we might have a source for them.

Cheers,

Adam C., Slop-man

Slop Shop Reproductions

• 2 weeks later...

Also....

Could you have a price for providing your own materials?

I have a ton of 100+ year old hand woven linen, and i can't sew everything myself!

gof

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Callenish,

Aye, larger sizes will be done. I'm a fat guy but also a weightlifter so I'm pretty big myself. In fact, I started sewing so I could make my own stuff in larger sizes back in the day, so it won't be a problem.

Greg,

That's right, you european guys have access to old materials. I really envy you. I will talk to my colleague about that, but we're definitely going to do slop shop "in-stock" instead of orders. We might be willing to purchase some fabric and just might happen make a garment in size, though. Let me talk to him this weekend at an event.

Cheers,

Adam