Thoughts on Aging

Do you realize that the only time in our lives when we like to get old is when we're kids? If you're less than 10 years old, you're so excited about aging that you think in fractions.

"How old are you?" "I'm four and a half!" You're never thirty- six and a half. You're four and a half, going on five! That's the key.

You get into your teens, now they can't hold you back. You jump to the next number, or even a few ahead.

"How old are you?" "I'm gonna be 16!" You could be 13, but hey, you're gonna be 16! And then the greatest day of your life . . . you become 21. Even the words sound like a ceremony . . YOU BECOME 21. YESSSS!!!

But then you turn 30. Oooohh, what happened there? Makes you sound like bad milk! He TURNED; we had to throw him out. There's no fun now, you're just a sour-dumpling. What's wrong? What's changed?

You BECOME 21, you TURN 30, then you're PUSHING 40. Whoa! Put on the brakes, it's all slipping away. Before you know it, you REACH 50 and your dreams are gone.

But wait!!! You MAKE it to 60. You didn't think you would!

So you BECOME 21, TURN 30, PUSH 40, REACH 50 and MAKE it to 60.

You've built up so much speed that you HIT 70! After that it's a day-by-day thing; you HIT Wednesday!

You get into your 80s and every day is a complete cycle; you HIT lunch; you TURN 4:30 ; you REACH bedtime. And it doesn't end there. Into the 90s, you start going backwards; "I Was JUST 92."

Then a strange thing happens. If you make it over 100, you become a little kid again. "I'm 100 and a half!"

May you all make it to a healthy 100 and a half!!

HOW TO STAY YOUNG

1. Throw out nonessential numbers. This includes age, weight and height. Let the doctors worry about them. That is why you pay "them".

2. Keep only cheerful friends. The grouches pull you down.

3. Keep learning. Learn more about the computer, crafts, gardening, whatever. Never let the brain idle. "An idle mind is the devil's workshop." And the devil's name is Alzheimer's.

4. Enjoy the simple things.

5. Laugh often, long and loud. Laugh until you gasp for breath.

6. The tears happen. Endure, grieve, and move on. The only person, who is with us our entire life, is ourselves. Be ALIVE while you are alive.

7. Surround yourself with what you love, whether it's family, pets, keepsakes, music, plants, hobbies, whatever. Your home is your refuge.

8. Cherish your health: If it is good, preserve it. If it is unstable, improve it. If it is beyond what you can improve, get help.

9 Don't take guilt trips. Take a trip to the mall, even to the next county; to a foreign country but NOT to where the guilt is.

10. Tell the people you love that you love them, at every opportunity.

AND ALWAYS REMEMBER:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

barbadossambanner0zj.jpg

"There be the chest, inside be the gold, we took them all. Spent them and traded them. We frittered them away on drink and food and pleasurable company. The more we gave them away, the more we came to realize... the drink would not satisfy, food turned to ash in our mouths, and all the pleasurable company in the world could not slake our lust. We are cursed men....Compelled by greed we were, and now we are consumed by it."

I'm pretty sure the first part was George Carlin. I can even hear him in my head as I read it.

The last line "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." I have a newspaper clipping with that on it on my refrigerator in a magnetic plastic picture pocket with a photo of a deceased friend and me. I got it off of her refrigerator when cleaning her house with her brother after her death. It is a heart warming thought and expresses how she tried to live her life. I miss her but the moments that we shared when we would laugh until we cried are the moments that still take my breath away.

Thanks for sharing Sam

Music is always another way we define our generation, or at least discover that we don't get the current generation.

Here's what Red Green has on the subject:

The Day the Music Died

Have you tried to find a good radio station lately, one that plays good driving music? There aren't any. It's all yakkity yak--with news, or talk shows or rap music. You start to wonder, where did our music go? What happened to the great music that defined our generation? Well, I'll tell you where it went. And it's good news, for a change. Our music is in the clearance bin down at the hardware store. You can pick up five...maybe six tapes for the cost of one of them CD things. And it's our music. With words you can hear and understand. Words that tell a story without a video. And the women sing songs about men. And the men sing songs about women. And surfing. And hot rods. I know it's depressing to see the music of your life stacked beside the special discount shampoo and the two-for-one light bulb sale, but that's okay, because it's finally at a price you can afford.

:D

And men; remember when "being able to go all night" meant you had a healthy libido, not an unhealthy prostate? <_<:huh:

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

i did swee george carlin do this and i'm not sure what channel i saw it on, but it wasn't comedycentral. i love the way the minds of george carlin and robin williams work!

~snow :D

with faith, trust and pixiedust, everything is possible ;)

if it be tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

IWG #3057 - Local 9

emmf steel rose player - bella donna, 2005

improv cast member and dance instructor - fort tryon medieval festival

lady neige - midsummer renaissance faire

THese were definatley some well though about Ideas about Aging and Life. Thanx Sam for starting this post.

Gettinhg older means it's ok to misspell ! I hated bein graded on thet the first 18 years me life- Arrua-ggg..

Life is good.

George Carlin had a thing about ~What If you could live Backwards?~

That was a fun insight ! :)

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

To tell the truth, I kinda like being 40. I've finally learned to like myself, and I look a hell of a lot better now that I did at 20. I've suffered enough public embarassment to be comfortable speaking before audiences, showing horses, or going to trendy stores. I like the music I like, and I can afford a car with a sufficiently powerful stereo to drown out the dumb kid next to me cranking his rap stupidity. I can appreciate good liquor, and really appreciate experienced women.

All in all, life is good. :) :huh:

...I kinda like being 40.  ...

All in all, life is good.  :)  :D

Couldn't agree with you more Jack! It's a great place to be.

Age is all in the mind. There are days when I'm 10 and days when I'm 80 but all in all, I like where I am.

i like being the age that i am .... even if things don't work as well as they once did ...i find that quality will always make up for quantity :ph34r: and there are at least a couple of you out there that know what i mean ;););) one thing i'm seeing now as i have gone back to university for the forth degree ....unlike my classmates i'm not afraid to speak my mind and i don't give a flying f%*K if you agree with me or not ....

so finally classroom lectures are enjoyable

and dating coeds is a lot of fun ;);););):D:ph34r::ph34r:

having past 50 now, and still haven't learned all i want to learn, i did discover the last time i was in college (10 years ago) that it was really easy to speak out and get my point across. but is was strnge being older than some of my professors! here's to my next ddegree! :D

IWG #3057 - Local 9

yes indeed Lady Snow Here's to your next degree! May your hours involved be in direct proportion to your income increased! Huzzah!

thank you so much!

and i remebered where i saw george carlin do the bit on aging. it was on thed bravo channel's 'inside the actor's studio.'

IWG #3057 - Local 9

WoHoo Mad Jack! Gracefully aging? You are DARLING! :o

OK, you got me. I've seen abandoned VW's age more gracefully than I. All I can do is quote Indiana Jones: "It ain't the years, sweetheart. It's the mileage." :o