Leather Justacorps???

Captain Jack Russel...

Where in Germany are you? I am near Wurzburg (PLZ 97252).

Well, You'll find me in the very north. I'm at Hamburg. (certainly, I'm not a Hamburger after all.. :unsure: ).

Last weekend I had been to Nuremberg for a gun fair and passed Wuerzburg quite close...

Very pity not knowing you are there.

Keep your powder dry,

Jack

Got the body done today and the sleeves, though I'm relly not happy with the huge split sleeves now that they're on there and am thinking about stitching em closed. Should have pix after the buttons are in place.

I want to go with Brass but I keep hearing pewter is more acceptable. Also I want larger buttons onthe cuffs than on the body and pockets but have no idea what size to use. Any suggestions will result in a round of ale at the pub!

:P:P

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

Sweeeeet!

Happily, mine being assembled thru trial and error looks like a combination of this one and the "Mouse colored wool" one on that same page two pix down. Mine will have buttons ans less pleats but I'm right on target it seems!

Thanks for the help! Now you'll just have to help me figure out how to post a pic of it here when I'm done. Though come to think of t it'll be on the TradBucc Yahoogroup as well.

I owe ye!

:rolleyes::lol::lol:

Monterey Jack

• 4 weeks later...

ohhhhhh ahhhhhh very sweet indeed.

Several years ago, when I first started venturing into pyracy, I ordered a suedo coat that looked "piratey". I would wear it to special occasions in the mundane world. Now it seems, with a little alterations, I could wear it as a period correct coat. Last year, one of those speciality fabric stores in the area was having a sale on suede leather which just happens to match the leather on the coat.

The question, do I dare cut into the coat to make the alterations? Is there someone I could pay to do the alterations? Opinions...thoughts?

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Pearl, I hate to break your heart, but the leather justacorps that they're talking about isn't thin, garment leather. It's thick, armour-type leather. It really is a type of armour, not just a fashion statement. So suede wouldn't quite fit the bill.

Sounds like a gorgeous coat and I would certainly wear it! But don't make the mistake of thinking that a coat made from any type of leather would be period correct.

And I think suede isn't period appropriate because it's made from split hides and they weren't doing that this early in time. But please, leather experts, correct me if I'm wrong.

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

• 4 weeks later...
I think suede isn't period appropriate because it's made from split hides and they weren't doing that this early in time. But please, leather experts, correct me if I'm wrong.

No, suede as we know it today didn't exist. Terms to describe that type of leather today would be more like "brushed leather" or even "nubuck" though that's pushing it a bit. Hides could and did take on a sueded appearance simply from the way the hair was removed, either by scraping with sharp stones, or hide knives, but it didn't look like todays suede. Sometimes even the traditional tanning processes of the period would create a softer, almost suede appearance anyway. Museum examples of brain-tanned and smoke tanned hides often have this look.

On the original topic, the coat is finished and I'm trying to get time and a camera so I can post the results!

:ph34r:

Monterey Jack

I've got pics of it up on the Traditional Buccaneers yahoogroup, but can't figger out how to move em here. I'll have to get new shots next week, unless someone can give a a tip or two.......

:lol:

Monterey Jack

All you have to do is the same thing you did to upload pictures at the Buccaneer site. Just copy the photo address from where you have the pics, and click on the IMG button, insert address, hit CLOSE ALL TAGS, and bingo, it should work.

Okay, I'm doing exactly as you wrote...lets see what happens...

...nope; it says "dynamic pages in the IMG tags not allowed". This is after I hit Close All Tags.

B)

Monterey Jack

Well, that probably explains it. I'm trying to download it from the YahooGroups site that I put together. Guess it won't let me do that.

I'll have to set up a photobucket account and do it that way; goin' on the account as it were..... :lol:

Monterey Jack