PiP 2006: What Would You Like To See?

Jib

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This little missive is an update of an earlier note suggesting and detailing an organizational “ladder.” Things have developed as things often will, and redefinition and clarification is in order.

Firstly, I got a little “Disney” on the titles. So let’s change them to more period titles and designations where we can make them fit. Refer here to see the original post.

I believe that the “Point” and “Camp” titles have been effectively combined as well as admirably and graciously taken on by William Red Wake, and now should be renamed “Quartermaster” and that title conferred on William. To all opposed, I have this plank here that I would like you to inspect. Out there at the end… A little farther…

“Cannon Demo Pyrate” and “Black Powder Demo Pyrate” are still open, and should be combined and renamed “Master Gunner.” I envision that these demonstrations would require more that one person to run, and volunteers should report to the Master Gunner in a separate thread. Inert cannon drills with patron participation (training powder monkeys?) Blank pistol and/or musket demonstrations on the half-hour? Hourly? Inside the fort? (Firing unwadded or florist’s foam wadded blanks into an isolated and sufficiently cordoned-off corner of the fort would be safe as well as loud [read: attention-getting].) Of course outside the fort or up on the wall would work also, as a preliminary firing of guns would draw the patrons to the demonstrations. Outside or on the wall could also include cannon blanks as well.

“Song Pyrate” should be renamed simply “Musician,” and the job is still open. I think that I will take this one. After all, it may involve real Pyracy. To that end, I will shortly be opening a new thread for song suggestions, at least most of which should be of the period or in the spirit of Pyracy. A CD will follow so that the arrangements we all sing will be the same.

A new one, and one that Hawkyns may have tentatively agreed to, barring any superseding action by the Fort, is that of “Safety Officer.” Mind you that it is the duty of all of us to police ourselves and to report any dangerous activity involving BP or any other weapon to the appropriate person. Would that person be our own Safely Officer first and then Fort Security/Key West Police if the offender did not respond suitably? We also need a list of safety guidelines for campers and those possessing BP weapons. In this way we could all start on the same page, agree in advance to basic conduct and not assume that all of us know how to handle weapons appropriately in public.

What say ye all?

It will be strange being called "Quartermaster" if Mister Lasseter is there, since I'm so used to calling him Quartermaster, but I understand the need for the title change. It looks like I'll be called Captain and Quartermaster in two different contexts, since a large chunk of the Watch Dog crew will be there.

As my first order of duty am beginning an official list that will be updated regularly to show those who are confirmed to attend and those who are not. This list will also include provisions and tents for the festival.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Actually, Julie is just doing mostly literary things this time around... the people you need to get ahold of are Friends of the Fort. They're in charge of the charges as it may be :)

I've been in contact with Harry at the fort and he isn't too concerned about planning too far in advance. We both promised to keep each other appraised of changes as they arise.

I've been in contact with Harry at the fort and he isn't too concerned about planning too far in advance. We both promised to keep each other appraised of changes as they arise.

I kinda thought that was why we voted you quartermaster... (Captain is just too pretentious....) And you did such a good job of it last year.......

Basicaly... we type about stuff.... yes and no it in the Pub... and if it sounds good, then you can contact the Fort and see if it is do-able..... instead of a bunch of us e-mailing the Fort (and driving them crazy) we have you to do that for us..... :rolleyes: (well not exactly drive them crazy....)

And that is one of the fun things about our excitement about PiP in the Pub.... no mater how silly (stupid or dumb) hey.... there might be a whole bunch of us that might think it sounds like a fun idea..... if not.... well unless someone goes back and reads the old post... the realy dumb ideas will get forgotten (like the wet codpeice/breeches idea.......)

the realy dumb ideas will get forgotten (like the wet codpeice/breeches idea.......)

Mister Hand! I don't think that was a bad idea at all ...a bit misguided and unrealistic but not dumb at all

...no more than the wet chemise idea that was presented. :D:rolleyes:

...okay, it was a DUMB idea. :D

Perhaps a bit stoopid BUT...

I rather liked the idea of the blood mobile at PiP last year.

I donated and felt pretty good about it. Got to talk with Don Maitz while donating blood. Great guy that Don!

Pirates are tough after all!

• 3 weeks later...

This is pure fanticy..... but what I'd like to see at PiP...

Wouldn't want to push away any of the vendors that have supported PiP (that wouldn't be cool).... But what if as you walked towards the fort, there they were..... a kinda carnival atmospheare.... the fery wands, unicorn stuff, and the "not quite" pyrate stuff.......the "Fun stuff" vendors ... some food booths and such....(just outside of the fort)

(Oh yah.... and a lot of pyrate flags......)

Then as you enter the fort..... kinda like being transformed back in time.....

The image in my brain is so much better than what I'm trying to type..... but the best of both worlds..... the fun "Fair" stuff....as you walk towards the Fort, and the (semi) Period Pyrate stuff inside.......

Like I typed..... this is just fantacy...... but it is a fantacy that could work for everyone......

[Hey... the topic WAS "What would you like to see?" didn't say it had to be realistic......]

I've talked with several pirates, who have been to PiP ( myself included ), and we feel the festival is headed in the wrong direction. Festivals and especially vendors need a large crowd to be successful. By isolating ourselves in the fort, we create a party for ourselves, not the community. Hell, I would say half the people that live in KW even know the fort exists!. Up until a few years ago that area was the confiscated boat yard, and wasn't open to the public. The most important thing to remember is that 90% of the people who attend are tourists. They certainly don't know where the fort is. We should really get the cruise ships to get intrested in PiP, and get shuttles to run the people from Mallory Square to the fort. Roamers should walk the streets promoting the fest and give info on transportation. The demonstrations and encampments sound awesome, but with out the people, PiP can't survive much longer.

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

aye tis true about the locals ....but there has to be advertising and signage in place for anyone to know what's going on ...would be nice if the trams actually came back to the fort too but that would mean the organizers would have to smooze and get the local chamber of commerce and press behind them and their efforts and perhaps arrange some free concerts around mallory square or the schooner warf ....and hand outs by participants in full kit with maps ('04 my son and i passed out a thousand flyers on the streets but nobody knew where the fort was)and perhaps a discount coupon of some sort to lure folks in :huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

At Ojai, all of the Pyrate reenactors have to "work the front gate" (well they let us in for free to do so...) (and it is lots of fun...)

Anyway.... sending a Mob (sounds much better than saying a group or some people) of Pyrates to "work" Mallory Squiare could be Do-able..... not sure about the Shuttle...... but heck.... an hour "working the croud/tourrist "(hey... I'm a tourrist also) could be fun...................

Heck.... We need a good flyer...... William...

Or maybe... a "make a good "Where th' heck is PiP" flyer contest fer us in th' Pub......

No prizes or anything.... but it would look good in yer portfollio..... that kinda thing.....

I can do graphich also...... just need the proper info (and it has to be all spelled correctly...... I ain's such a good speller.... :huh: )

I think that it is interesting..... Pyrates from all over the country.... working to make a Pyrate Faire "happen"

Coool.....................................

Cascabel and Studley are dead on, I'm afraid.

I've worked on organizing this festival for three years and there are some sad facts:

1) The fort has no historical tie in to piracy. It is too far away from where everyone is. You have to walk through a residential area to get there and then find your way past the empty and trashy dockyard. Then you have to walk to the fort once you pay at the gate. Few tourists will do this.

2) The tram companies have absolutely no interest in running people out to the festival or the fort. Been there, tried that. The Conch train refuses to be a sponsor. Why? Because the money is in the tour. That's what they do and that's what they put their resources towards. The wouldn't even rent a tram and driver to the festival when there was money.

3) Sponsors will always be a problem as they always have? Why? Pirate Soul won't sponsor an event that draws people away from their museum and restaurant. Same with Mel Fisher's. Same with just about every other tourist oriented place in town. The festival at the fort draws tourists away from Duval. Simple fact. When it was at the Seaport, the reverse was true. But the Seaport doesn't want the festival either, that's why it was moved to the beach at the fort two years ago.

4) The tourism promotion folks care about two events this year. The End of Hurricane Party and the Walk the Plank Championships. Both are being held at the Pier House, away from the festival. These will get the TV and media coverage. The festival at the fort won't. It's not very interesting from a media standpoint and it doesn't promote tourism.

5) Advertising. There's a wish. When Julie ran the festival alone, she spent $10,000 of her own money on marketing. That included fliers, the programs and signage on Duval. $10,000 doesn't make a dent. And again, Key West doesn't care. They care about Fantasy Fest because it draws $$$$ to town and tens of thousands of visitors. PiP never will.

6) Cruise Ships. Two years ago we stationed our own crewe at the cruise ships to invite folks over to the festival. We stayed until an entire 5,000 passenger cruise ship was emptied. Five people showed up at the festival. That was it. Why? They have 8 hours or less to see Key West. That means Duval St., a trip on the conch train and maybe a sail on a tall ship.

Sorry to be a wet blanket. But I've worked on the festival for three years and it didn't go anywhere. And I don't see the fort being able to do anything but create a small event that draws a large number of re-enactors and a small number of the public.

I will be there with my crewe for our swan song. Too many other festivals to go to that are going in the other direction... ya'll should have been at Bald Head Island last weekend.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

What if we had some street light banners made, a dozen or so, and had them hung up and down Duval street for a week before and during the fest. We can get a permit from city hall, I can print them fairly cheap, and find a local to hang them up.

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

I know that Don Maitz does the poster artwork, But I was thinking more along the lines of a black and white, half page flyer that could be handed out by mobs of Pyrates walking around town....

A "who, what, when and where" kinda thing, some artwork and maybe a map showing how to find the Fort......

Another Idea.......

It's fun to go down to Malory Squaire to watch the sunset....

Last year we discovered that is is also realy cool to watch the sunset from the top of the Fort......

How about celibrating the sunset attop the Fort "Pyrate style".... with guns and cannons ? Loud things that go "BOOM" ........ :lol:

Absolutely. And the sound will travel to Mallory where the uninformed will go: What was that? Whereupon some of us pyrates will be there to inform them, yes?

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I know that Don Maitz does the poster artwork, But I was thinking more along the lines of a black and white, half page flyer that could be handed out by mobs of Pyrates walking around town....

A "who, what, when and where" kinda thing, some artwork and maybe a map showing how to find the Fort......

I've begun diagrams of the fort and maps of the routes one might take to get there. Once complete, I will submit it for approval to those in charge and make any necessary changes.

It will be appropriately covered in pyrate imagery.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to a Renn. Faire in San Fransico this weekend. They had a ale booth,, but it was set up really wierd. Because of how the law worked, you had to stay inside a roped off area. Unfortunately, there were not benches or tables, so everyone had to stand around to drink thier wine or ale. It wouldn't have been too bad, if it was off, out of the way ...i had tables (it wasn't that sunny, so an awning wasn't really nessicary...) and a stage so musicians could play some of thier bawdy songs...And if they had some serving wenches (who were volinteers, only working for tips)....

Then I thought.... Hey.... PiP has the perfect set-up for a tavern like that....

Basicaly, you get a "Door Dude" to check IDs.... and find some women to play bar wenches.... to serve drinks. Last year, there were musicians that played in the tavern... if it was "21 and over", they could sing some of thier bawdyier songs... the ones that they know, but don't like to preform in front of children.....

My Boss owns a restaurant, and the waitresses don't have the time to sit and talk to the coustomers... but the bar wenches are not really "working" they are volinteers, so they can "play in character"... And Pyrates being a free spending lot.... the tips would be good.... (they might want to split the tips with the bartender and door dude, just to be fair....)

I never being to the PIP and not sure if it’s a proper place for me to participate in this discussion, but I have organized one time events in the past that could have tricks that could be used for this event. I share because I’d love to see events like this thrive.

I learned to write grants and have been successful in writing grants for money. I have funded some cultural events here in Pittsburgh and see no reason why the PIP can not apply for a grant to help with marketing costs. If the PIP is a non-profit organization this is very possible. Once a basic grant is prepared, it can be applied to all types of historical or theatrical grantors. (I have raised like 11k for several groups writing grants)

I’d always make my grant money go as far as it can, so my marketing was mainly online. PIP has a wonderful website, but limited links to it from traditional Key West tourist websites. I found the PIP through a web search of Pirate Images and not while looking at Key West websites. The strategy is to search Key West tourist websites, contact the webmaster and ask for a link to the PIP website. (Most groups don’t mind listing a non-profit organization event)

I also created a marketing data base of email addresses that I would spam news about the event. I wrote formal press releases and worked with another non-profit who faxed them out to all the media. Strangely enough my emails did generate a lot of attendance. In this case, emails could be sent to bed & breakfasts and hotels to post as local activities.

Lastly, I was in Key West this April and never found Fort Taylor. We actually walked towards it but once we got to the military canon, we felt there was nothing there. Maybe leaving maps at hotels would help.

If there is anything I can do to help, please ask.