Dutch Piracy

Mad Matt

Piracy and Privateering in the Golden Age Netherlands is a new book I found. Anyone who can point me in the direction of more information on Dutch pirates would be greatly appreciated.

Drunken_Parrot_Bar_Sign.jpg

You will be flogged. And God willing, come morning, you will be flogged some more.

I believe that Charity who posts here on the Pub lives in the Netherlands. She might be a good resource for ye, Matt.

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

I am and proud to be :P

Sorry for posting late, i've been sick as a dog and in bed but i'm not gone yet ;)

I'm sorry to say, the most about it is in Dutch.

I just searched my butt off but Piet Heyn is most mentioned but nothing else interesting, sofar.

Our country isn't too well on history, i am just beginning to learn all about it myself *shame*

So, i am sorry, i will keep looking and if i find anything i'll let you know but i was just going to thank you for finding that book for me :lol:

hero.jpg

I believe some of the Dutch colonies were pretty rowdy and attracted a colorful cast of visitors.

The Dutch also went to the far East which could earn them rich cargos.

Two more Dutch pirates I forgot all about: Edward Mansveld (aka Mansfield), and Roche Brasiliano. Mansveld was from Curacao, a Dutch colony, while Brasiliano was actually born in Groningen.

Interestingly, Charles Johnson in the General History says that he has never heard of a Dutch pirate, and suggests it is because the Dutch fishing industry took up the sailors discharged from the navy, while English sailors had few options other than piracy at the conclusion of a war.

Could it be because the Dutch traders were such extremely shrewd business men that all thier piracy was done"legally"? From what I read, enterin into a business arangement with a bloody Dutchman, ye were more n likely to get a quill in the back then a dirk.

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands