Mysterious object from Port Royal

I found this article a while back and was baffled by the last illustration. It's an unusual gun-like thing. The project directors may not have asked around to research the matter too much.

I have to explain the way the site is made first. It's a Geocities site made with Flash (dumb!), so the text is really a graphic (not searchable). You also have to navigate to the page in question.

When you click on the link, choose Artifacts, click the animated arrow at the bottom of the page, and go to the bottom of that second page.

What are your thoughts on this thing?

http://www.geocities.com/aborgcr/PRoyal/proyal.html

Dang... yah got me on that one.....

If there was someplace to attach a lock, I would guess that it was a trap or alarm..... but the only way to fire it would be with a fuse.....

Maybe it's just a noise maker, kind of like the miniture .50 cal cannons ...

It's a bit difficult to tell because of the drawing and the fact that a large part of the stock appears to be missing.

Maybe it had a really simple external serpentine lock like the very early hand guns. That would certainly fit in with the apparent lack of a lock. It would be about 200 years too early for the Port Royal stuff, but what there is of that thing has a distinctly "home-made" look about it.

Interestingly, 2 15thC handguns were recovered from the 1707 wreck of HMS Assurance. It has been speculated that they were used as signal guns.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Maybe it had a really simple external serpentine lock like the very early hand guns.

But then it would have a pan for the priming powder... the touch hole is on the side of the barrel........

And the wood that the barrel is wired to is too short.... But it would work with a fuse as a signal gun.........

There was something about the bore size.... I'l have to look at it again......

It's alot of trouble to go to for a noisemaker although I wouldn't doubt it could be used as such. I'd also have to agree with Foxe in that it looks home made. It for some reason calls to mind the cigarrete guns the Phillipino's used agianst U.S. Marines in the early part of the 20th century. No it's not a long arm nor is it made in the same manner but for some reason it just gives the look of a simple self defence weapon for the poor. I personally don't think guns were quite so easy to come by in the GAOP as hollywood would have us to belive. This could be a cheap home made gun for the defence of a poor owner.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

I would definitely call that a 'makeshift' or 'Jury rigged' weapon...

I would also agree, prolly made by a poor person in need of defence...

looks like an old barrel fashioned onto a 'stock' and prolly fired with a slowmatch or other flaming bit...

MacGyver come to mind?

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

• 2 months later...

It reminded me of an old German match fired pistol I saw at the Tower of London. If the stock extended back to the shoulder it could be stabilised with the left hand and the linstock used to touch it off with the right. I get the feeling it was a busted pistol barrel reworked and pressed into service as a rude and crude rifle.

• 2 weeks later...

Respectfully I disagree that this is a weapon. Part of the tang is missing, which would lead me to believe that this barrel was salvaged from a broken gun. But why have a stock, even a makeshift one, on a match-fired handgun? The only reason to have a stock is to position a lock in relation to the touch-hole. I would refer you to early Chinese hand guns that were made without locks and without stocks, simply a barrel with a touch-hole. One-shot guns would not heat up, so hand protection would not be needed.

So, a little speculation. I believe that this is used in a situation that would cause the barrel to heat up, so a fire-starter is a possiblility but it is too short to blow into and keep your ear out of the fire. A pipe, to replace one lost or broken? Seems more likely, especially since the touch-hole seems to have been enlarged. Still, smoking from a barrel would heat the barrel to the point that one could not draw from the touch-hole, especially as the coal approaches the touch-hole.

Also, we are not allowing that this may have been an unsuccessful attempt at some sort of makeshift substitute, making speculation impossible as the maker of this thing did not know what he was doing either.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I'll bet you anything it was a burglar alarm of some sort, and the priming pan simply busted off with the lock. Reason the hole is on the "top" is because it was mounted to the WALL. Might not even have been a trigger, just a brass wire (like the stuff that holds the barrel to the wood) attached to the guts of the lock.

The way it works is easy to see -- mount that sucker to the doorframe and load it up. During business hours, put the hammer down and put the hammerstall on (which could just be a bit of greasy old rag). Every night you cock it, take the other end of the wire (which would have been made into a miniature noose, so it will tighten in the event of forced entry) and put it around the doorknob. Even a blank charge would serve the purpose.... wake up the neighborhood and burn h*ll out of the intruder into the bargain.

(If it's a Baroque-era zipgun, how does our street person stop in the middle of fight or flight, produce a match or fuse, somehow light it -- using a candle in a nearby open window, maybe? -- and *then* torch off the gun? That just doesn't seem practical to me).

I envisioned someone using it for defense if they were expecting someone wishing them ill. Holed up in their flat, nervously awaiting a rap on the door, linstock and weapon at the ready by a lamp.

Or, it could have been a street thug's prop to rob people. The victim wouldn't know if it worked or not. A linkstock and a barrel would have been enough to scare someone into handing over their purse. Even a useless barrel shoved into their back would work.

And it could have been an experiment that failed. In any case, it would never be practical as a general-purpose weapon.

Could have been a paperweight for all we know.

:rolleyes:

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

the alarm idea makes sense to me also, the base was just a standoff to give some way to mount it to what was being secured. I thought as a weapon, you could hold in your left hand like you would hold the forestock of a rifle and touch it off with a punk or match. It still kinda looks like something was broken off the rear portion of the base/stock. I just keep flashing back to the German pistol I saw at the Tower of London display. This weapon had what looked like 5 or 6 cigar tubes on the end of a 3 foot metal pole. You would fire, rotate and fire again then the gun became a mace. Just the principle of operation seemed to make sense.

The location of the piece may provide a clue. It was located outside of Building 5 in the excavation, which, by its layout, appears to be an inn/tavern. It has the typical parlor arrangement with access to the upstairs and a door to the serving area to the right. Some 25 pewter plates were discovered there. Two of the guns were collected from the yard in the back of Building 5.

If the artifact had been in the backyard, which had the hearths, I could see its use as a fire starter, and in fact, during the earthquake it could have conceivably made its way to Queen Street. But I would doubt it. The three successive earthquakes sank that part of the city straight down... there was actually very little destruction by shaking and entire parts of the city simply went straight down within two minutes, buildings intact. Witness the pipe shop where several hundred pipes simply fell straight down off their shelves and settled on the floor. Even the floors, particularly in Building 5, are undamaged and intact today. Building 4 would have been relatively undamaged as well, except for the ship which broke loose and plowed into it during the subsequent tsunami in the harbor.

So, I would gather this was out on the street at the time, potentially in the possession of someone walking the streets shortly before noon on that day.

I don't pretend to know its use - simply its position relatively to what was around it.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I have seen hand cannons of similar design. This is, of course, "home made". I'm sure it was fired with a fuse.

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.