Buying a used car

Pew

Who would you trust more?

I bought and sold alot of cars privately, but always wondered about those "carmax" type companies. Especially since the hurricanes from the mid-south and the gulf, I've seen reports of companies trying to refab those vehicles that have been waterlogged in the various floods. Some have even been reported as turning up in the Mid-atlantic states. Yes, buyer beware, but should we have to run a carfax for each vehicle we are looking a?

So I put the question to you, would you fell more comfortable buying a used car from a used lot or from a private seller?

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

I can't slam all used cars, let alone who sells them, but considering how much money I had to put into my previous cars to keep them running (all used), I determined I no longer need to go that route (I'll only buy new from now on). I had a good experience buying my latest car, so for the future, I plan on taking the same approach (asking plenty of questions, not going for warranties because honestly, I got shafted by one, and playing a little hardball to get a good deal).

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

I had used cars for the majority of my driving life. Always putting money into them to keep them running, as they were always breaking down.

That ended when I bought my new 1989 Dodge Caravan. I had that vehicle for many years. I sold it to some good friends who have thrashed the hell out of it. I now have a 2004 light gold Toyota V6 truck. I love it! I bought a Toyota on the advice of my good mechanic, who told me that if I wanted a vehicle that took little maitenence and was reliable, get a Toyota, so I did. Brand new off the lot, and payments that are killing me! Ugh!