1690s coins

kass

Does anyone know where to get coins from the 1690s? Particularly Netherlandish coins. But really, I'll take anything from the 1670-1725 period as long as they look real.

You see, I'm making a replica of this coat that was found with coins in the pocket and I thought it would be neat to put replica coins in the pocket. ;)

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Not just a half-groat, Greenighs. There's a six pence and a shilling from the period there too. Thank you!

No Netherlandish, though... But let's see what anyone else posts.

William, when I get back to my notes, I can send you more information on the coins in the pockets. What would you need for me to commission a replica (if you take commissions, I mean...)?

Hmm... you could try googling the period monarch of your choice plus coin or replica...

Some show up on UK e-bay from time to time

http://tinyurl.com/lskmd

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Okay, here are the descriptions:

6-stiver piece, billon, of Nymwegen, Netherlands, 1690

2-stiver piece, billon, of Overijssel, Netherlands, 1681

1/6 "/Ore, Sweden, 1683

These were found in a purse of a body buried in Gunnister, Shetland, Scotland. But it is thought that these coins were in use in Shetland at the time because of brisk trade with the Dutch fishing fleets.

I don't know if the find is in the National Museum of Antiquities in Edinburgh or at Shetland, but I assume the later since its website mentions the find (but, alas, no pictures of the coins).

Another find I've been looking at has 19 sixpenny pieces, all but one from Charles II's reign. The last one dates 1694 (W&M).

Thanks, Greg. I guess I was just hoping that someone like Steve Millingham was doing William and Mary coins. I have bags and bags of his Charles I sets .

Not just a half-groat, Greenighs. There's a six pence and a shilling from the period there too. Thank you!

No Netherlandish, though... But let's see what anyone else posts.

William, when I get back to my notes, I can send you more information on the coins in the pockets. What would you need for me to commission a replica (if you take commissions, I mean...)?

I don't think I'll be doing a wide variety. I plan on doing the reign of William the III for a start if all goes well.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

WRW....

wow! That is pretty cool!

I always thought that it would be cool to make a die for a spanish silver coin. You know, those ones that looked like they were made in a hurry that are all crazy shapes and sizes.

I mean, how hard could it be to make this?

15219c.jpg

I figure you could stamp it on pewter and it would look like silver....

Just a thought...

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Kass, Spike does take commissions so he might make some specially for you - I don't know what he'd charge though.

Big question, any chance of pictures of the coat?

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Problem is that they'll be scans of a rather poor black and white copy. Don't know how well they'll come out. But I can scan them over the weekend and email you when they're up.

Of course I could always show them to you over that beer next week...