But I stole 'em from a...

kass

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or how about my favourite petticoat breeches Pat?

bosun.jpg

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

That particular one is yes. I have three or four cocked hats. These days I tend not to wear cocked hats much at all except with my posh gear.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

"I Stole it From a Drag Pirate"

Nah.... that topic has already been done in Plunder with the thigh high size 13 sexy boots....... :lol:

OK... I know that pink is a period color for men..... the post this morning was basicaly how many Pyrate reenactors would want to wear it..... B)

( I wanted to post something joking about pink being more correct than black.... but I'm still snickering about Foxe's pink slops....... )

Hopefully tomarrow morning I won't be posting such silly stuff..........

nah...... :unsure:

Well.... i would think that pink would be more "period" than black....

I used to do enviromental work for the air force. The black paint they put on stealth aircraft is very expensive. It doesn't have to be black... I am not sure what the most stealthy color is, but I WISH it would have been pink...

Can you imagine a pink stealth bomber??

:o

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

The origanal Have blue (F-117 prototype) was painted in pastel colors some that bordered on pink. Oh and some of the desert camo the Germans put on ME-109's was pinkish. Off topic I know but hey I know a little somethng about this time frame lol :o

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

Reminds me of a line created for "Roll the Old Chariot Along..." that stopped the crew sing-along in it's tracks--especially the manly man who sang the line... <_<

"And some pink frilly curtains wouldn't do us any harm

No, some pink frilly curtains wouldn't do us any harm

Some pink frilly curtains wouldn't do us any harm

And we'll all hang on behind....."

Cheers! :angry:

"Don't worry, it's not My Blood!"

Here's a small item of evidence I stumbled across regarding pirates stealing clothing. In Johnson's General History of the Pirates, Captain Anstis's crew is described plundering clothes.

About the Middle of June, these Pyrates met with one Captain Marston, between Hispaniola and Jamaica, bound on a Voyage to New-York; from whom they took all the wearing Apparel they could find.

Interesting.... and thanks for posting the link to Johnson online!

Too bad we can only speculate what clothes they took.....

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Reminds me of a line created for "Roll the Old Chariot Along..." that stopped the crew sing-along in it's tracks--especially the manly man who sang the line... <_<

"And some pink frilly curtains wouldn't do us any harm

No, some pink frilly curtains wouldn't do us any harm

Some pink frilly curtains wouldn't do us any harm

And we'll all hang on behind....."

Cheers! :D

I know the person who made up those lines....to the fact I actually made pink frilly curtians for the bar in PRP. :huh:

Okay, back from the Baltimore Pirate Invasion, and I have to say, NOW I GET IT. I have never seen so many yards of crushed velvet, skull-print polyester blend, and uphulstory fabric in one place! The folks were GREAT and we had a blast, but I tell ya, there was more than one Elizabethan/Cavalier/Robin Hood impersonator there. Even found a mariachi pirate complete with accordian and parrot! A few goth cowboy sailors, I think, too. And a terrific, fun devil/faun pirate with skull beads in his beard, gotta find the pic ...

Will post pics in the Raids section soon.

But anyway, here I was all worried that my kit isn't authentic. I think I could have added a few yards of gold rickrack and fringe to my tricorn and blended into the crowd just fine. :)

Had a blast, will definately go again! :huh::huh:

But anyway, here I was all worried that my kit isn't authentic. I think I could have added a few yards of gold rickrack and fringe to my tricorn and blended into the crowd just fine

Now you can see the difference between “Hollywood” and “Authentic” Pyrates….. But you will also notice that both get along together……. So you can choose which one you wanna do….

The origanal Have blue (F-117 prototype) was painted in pastel colors some that bordered on pink. Oh and some of the desert camo the Germans put on ME-109's was pinkish. Off topic I know but hey I know a little somethng about this time frame lol ;)

The Land Rovers driven by SAS in the Mideast desert were pink. There was a very, very good reason for it, though I cannot remember it at the moment.

Kass's Husband, who forgot his old username so he re-registered.

I think I remember why they were pink, darling. Apparently pink blends in better with the sand when viewed from a place above. So pink is a good colour for camophlage in the Sahara. ;)

Congrats, Greenighs, and welcome to the club! ;)

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

• 4 months later...
But as for "fancy" clothing... I am not seeing it. I peeled off all the jackets clothes, pants, and breeches from the list, and here is what we get:

1 coat (worn)

1 doublet (worn)

2 pairs breeches (worn)

2 Jasto Corps (justaucorps)

4 stuffe coats for men

2 stuffe vests for boys

2 boys' little coats

2 children's coats

2 scarlet parragon (double camlet) coats

2 children's parragon coats

1 boy's coat

5 coats and breeches for men

2 men's cloaks

From Sea chests

1 demity waist coat

1 old shirt

1 coat

1 pair breeches

1 pair breeches, waistcoat and jacket

1 waistcoat and jacket more

6 men's coats

1 stuffe pair breeches and doublet

3 pairs cloth breeches

1 old doublet

1 pair fustian breeches

Now I am not seeing anything here that shouts (or even whispers) fancy or middle class clothing. It all appears to be the day to day kinds of clothing that we would expects denizens of the late 17th century to have.

I was reading Samuel Pepys' diary and stumbled across relevant evidence that those four double camlet coats were indeed rich clothing, possibly richer than the two justaucorps.

This morning came home my fine Camlett cloak,1 with gold buttons, and a silk suit, which cost me much money, and I pray God to make me able to pay for it.

- - Diary of Samuel Pepys, 1 July 1660.

The annotation mentions that "Camlet was a mixed stuff of wool and silk. It was very expensive, and later Pepys gave 24l. for a suit. (See June 1st, 1664.) " 24 pounds wasn't chump change.

At the very least, a pirate can justify wearing a rich camlet coat, though doubtless such wear would have been reserved for shore visits.

Plenty of GAOP clothing references in "A General History of the Pyrates", "Captured by Pirates", and Cordingly's book "Under the Black Flag"...

Yours, Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

The part I'm wondering about.....

I just "aquired (however)" a coat that is very fine...... really fine..... dang.... courtly......

Do I wear it.....

Or

Do I sell it.....

If I showed up in a town in a coat "way above my means" don't you think the magistraites ( th' cops) would notice..... and want to "ask " me where I got it.....

Dang... quick way to the gallows.....

On the other hand....

I sell it... get the money in my pocket... (OK and then drink it all up...)

But I live longer that way.............

OK... alla that is pure speculation........ I can' prove any of it..... but I think I will go fer th' Rum........ my liver going out sounds a heck of a lot better than my neck getting longer (really quick )