Baron van Coehorn

I have been doing a bit of research as of late on the Mortar and am curious if anyone has any more info other than the norm or easy to find on this highly mobile and awesome piece of artillery.

The two main items of interest I have found are in the lower 2 paragraphs

Baron van Coehorn (1641-1704), a Dutch Officer, designed a mortar first used in 1674 which fired at a fixed angle of elevation of 45°. Range was adjusted by varying the weight of the propellant charge, or by moving the mortar providing it was one of the lighter equipments . Britain adopted the Coehorn mortar shortly after its invention.

The mortar is a cylinder marked only by reinforcing band and trunnion assembly. Primarily used for lobbing explosives (mortars) over walls , close range field work and the firearm was also used on shipboard to set fire to an enemy's sails.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Nitro Squares ? Damn !!! Do tell., Do tell !!! Like Cheese ?

That sounds like some pretty interesting propellant !

I have been searching for the propper carriage for naval purposes and I am having trouble finding much info on that., it seems most were a sled type base. Pretty light and easy to manuever. I am in the shop and building again! I'll postem as I go.

NavalSled001.JPG

I startedout with a 2 X 12. After going to the only lumber yard in town to have oak in a 2 X I found out its not planed to 1 1/2" like most 2 X is.

Therefore this puppy is actually 1+ 15/16 " I was thinking its a bit much., but then back in the day they didnt have 1 1/2" finish planed lumber like we do today. Its probably built a bit too bulky but I can live with it.

NavalSled002.JPG

NavalSled003.JPG

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Thank you Sir ! B) mate.

No Sleep for the wicked !!!

Well another day out in the Shop ., This little Mortar I figure will be a good conversation piece to set by my desk in the Scuba Shop part of Tropico. Course it will come out firing during "Festival " time launching Beer-Cans full o' concrete into the sea from the main sea wall.

According to Wes "Powder Keg" This unit should throw the can approx 350 to 450 yards with great elevation and plenty enough hang time to grab a Spyglass and follow it depending on the charge.

Beer cans are easier to follow if you paint them black and use a piece of wire out the top of the concrete (So you can tie a "Police Line Do Not Cross" tape ).

I hope to get to the Trunnion caps soon. You can see in this top photo I am grinding to fit the trunnion cap before welding.

After that.,for my next trick I will try to fashion a Mortar Elevator from a "C-Clamp".

NavalSled004.JPG

NavalSled005.JPG

NavalSled006.JPG

NavalSled007.JPG

Ideally This would have blown fire into the sails of battle crazed men.

NavalSled008.JPG

Now into todays world it may only blow Miller-Lite up someones sheets.

I love this stuff.,Governments fought with it all the way into WW1 and now they are letting us play with it :lol:

:o Thats some serious Cheese SP Carter !!! You gotta admit that part had to be fun !!! :o

No its not for pretty., but I wanted it that way.,instead of opting for a steel we went with Bronze., thats the pretty.,you hurt my feelings...., (Is it real) ?

This mortar is a 3/4 scale 12lb Coehorn mortar., and will fire with a pretty big bang and send a concrete projectile approx 450 yards .

looks great. the thing in the first picture that I hate to ask aobut is why does it look like a condom wrapper is on the floor? is that part of your protective equipment? :ph34r:

" Never knock on Heaven's door. Ring the bell and run. He hates that"

' Whatever is not nailed down is MINE. Whatever I can pry loose, is not nailed down."

SP Carter we fire concrete filled beer cans cause there alot cheaper than actual cannon balls., also someone told me they had good luck with ice .,Water frozen in the beer can.,but shoot the ammo consumes yer ice chest when you finally get outa town far enough SP Carter you gotta drink yer ammo :ph34r: .,

Well anyway I will be posting again tomorrow with the details of how I built the trunnion mounts anda few photos.

If you are seriously interested in one PM me., I can fill you in on the details., Wes is now offering a new model he finished (Confederate Coehorn 1/3 scale ) and its a little cheaper and fires 1 3/4 " which is Golf Ball caliber !!!., Your Grand children will fight over who gets Granpas cannon !! Greybeard Forum., Wes's Coehorn

Just think you go to a golf course and gettem for nothin! Old Balls LOL

Biker I took a good look out in the shop....., yea that was a condom wrapper and I will be asking Swifty Morgan what the hell thats doin out in the shop when he gets in here for work tomorrow.

See anything else in there Biker?

Well the trunnion caps came out better than I figured., easier too.

NavalSled009.JPG

NavalSled010.JPG

One Naval Sled pretty much ready to flame up someones sheets!! :lol:

:lol: HarborMaster :lol:

Thanks Mad Jack !

Here are a coupla pictures to give an idea on how to make shift the hardware., for any interested parties that may be followin' this.

First off I use a Die-Grinder to cut a pipe (pipe is the same size as the trunnion diameter) in half and at propper length., then I lay the piece on the trunnion., while the cannon/mortar is in its cradle., then using the die grinder., take off more and more., until the 1/2 pipe sits flush ., then cut my steel lengths withthe same die grinder (all my cuts) ., then cut a pice of round stock., for this I used 3/8 for the ends of the trunnion cap plates. Then Weld !

For the Elevator., I simply cut off the clamp and grind smooth., then., drill 4 holes 1/4" and thread them.,, using stainless steel bolts., (thes ame thread size as what I just made ) then cut the bolts to length., whammo., elevator.

Note I use Contact Cement., and leather for a pad on the elevator tip., so as to not mar the bronze.

NavalSled011.JPG

NavalSled012.JPG

Aye Patrick ., With thunder in the air an Sails o' Fire., "Its Miller Time".

We are done ., this mortar is ready for some beer and testing. Probably in May after I get back home.,I will field test it. After wards I will post a video much like the 1" bore cannon video.

With Elevator Screw added and tie down/carry hardware added this Coehorn Project is now finished.

NavalSled013.JPG

If anyone is interested in one., or anything else for that matter.,Wes makes toys for big kids that like to make noise. He makes anything anyone wants in a cannon.

He is the one building my 4 new cannons., I will post the blueprint as soon as Wes has them finished.

NavalSled014.JPG

:unsure::huh: HarborMaster :huh::huh:

:huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:B)B)

JoshuaRed .,Thank you sir., Thank You !

I weighed the Mortar by itself when it arrived., its at 54lbs and now with the Sled we are at 66lbs. :huh:

I can still make the 70lb weight limit on FOREX cargo shipping to the PH with out having to seperate the two.

I FeEL gOoD :P all over . Yea its a nice compact big bore for someone to easily move around and go shooting.

Its also damn handy as a sort of trash compactor--SLASH--disposal.

With a little black powder you could fill it with old shoes.,underware.,spoiled food.,just about anything you dont want and send it up an over a 2 story apartment complex at close range and then it usually comes down to earth about 4 blocks down the way . :lol: