MEL GIBSON HAS LOST HIS MIND

Gibson to Speak Ancient Tongue at Oscars

Saturday, March 4, 2006 3:14 PM EST

The Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) — Mel Gibson will give audiences a preview of the ancient language spoken in his upcoming movie, "Apocalypto."

During a brief appearance on the Academy Awards on Sunday, Gibson will speak Maya, the only language in the film. His last movie, "The Passion of the Christ," was performed in Latin and Aramaic.

"I wanted to shake up the stale action-adventure genre," Gibson told Time for a story on the magazine's Web site. "So I think we almost had to come up with something utterly different like this."

"Apocalypto" is set in pre-Columbian Mexico and is being shot on the fringe of southern Mexico's rain forests. It addresses the end of civilizations and contains warnings about environmental degradation and political fear-mongering.

If you've seen the previews you'll know what I mean.-Lazarus

GageSig.png

Has anyone seen the South Park episode with Mel Gibson in it? Yeah....that about explains it.

I was just going to post something about that episode. It cracks me up even thinking of it.

well now....using the actual languages spoken at the time of the movie is protraying...hummm...well to me it sounds as if someone is just trying to be historically accurate...that's all... B)

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

Again . . .

Am I the only one here who liked passion of the christ? . . . :P

I doubt that.

I didn't see it, myself. I usually watch movies to escape into other, more idealized places, not to view the Hollywoodization of reality. (Although, interestingly, these are also idealized versions of reality, so maybe I'm missing something.)

Interestingly, a lot of people seem to dislike/like it for "political" reasons. In my mental worldview, that's an unreasonable approach to movies - either a flick stands as a good film or it doesn't.

If someone goes in with the idea that the film is a bunch of crap because of the how or why it was made, seeing it at all seems a waste of money to me. (And if someone didn't see it and they have the temerity to condemn it because of their perceptions...shame on them. That's beneath contempt.)

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Interestingly, a lot of people seem to dislike/like it for "political" reasons. In my mental worldview, that's an unreasonable approach to movies - either a flick stands as a good film or it doesn't.

I don't overly care for subtitles and my taste in movies usually runs to technicolor so I may be least likely to respond here however I can't help but wonder what people think of all the "rah-rah" films I watch and what they'd think of my favorite all time movie The Enemy Below.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

I don't overly care for subtitles and my taste in movies usually runs to technicolor so I may be least likely to respond here however I can't help but wonder what people think of all the "rah-rah" films I watch and what they'd think of my favorite all time movie The Enemy Below.

I think you're missing out but avoiding films with the subtitles. I've noticed that after watching a subtitled film for a few minutes, I forget I'm even reading them. There are some really cool "rah rah" films (if I understand your term correctly) like Zatoichi and Kung Fu Hustle that are subtitled. And black and white films...wow. There's so many good ones.

I haven't seen The Enemy Below, so I can't comment on it either. I do have the soundtrack for it, oddly enough.

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

I'm a huge fan of foreign films, and quite honestly, I'd rather see a subtitled film than a dubbed one.

One example that springs to mind immediately is "Brotherhood Of The Wolf," having bought the DVD and watched it both with subtitles and with dubbed English, I can say that IMO the subtitled version simply "sounds" better. Maybe it's just because I'm a sucker for the tonality of the French language.

Lots of foriegn films that have been remade by Hollywood simply loose their appeal to me... La Femme Nikita, The Vanished... great films that Hollywood managed to mangle quite efficiently. I'd much rather see a subtitled foreign film than suffer through the Americanized, "English" version.

NOAH: Wow... the whole world flooded in just less than a month, and us the only survivors! Hey... is that another... do you see another boat out there? Wait a minute... is that a... that's... are you seeing a skull and crossbones on that flag?

Ministry of Petty Offenses

I'm a huge fan of foreign films, and quite honestly, I'd rather see a subtitled film than a dubbed one.

One example that springs to mind immediately is "Brotherhood Of The Wolf," having bought the DVD and watched it both with subtitles and with dubbed English, I can say that IMO the subtitled version simply "sounds" better. Maybe it's just because I'm a sucker for the tonality of the French language.

Lots of foriegn films that have been remade by Hollywood simply loose their appeal to me... La Femme Nikita, The Vanished... great films that Hollywood managed to mangle quite efficiently. I'd much rather see a subtitled foreign film than suffer through the Americanized, "English" version.

I'm in complete agreement with you on that one. I'd much rather hear the emoting done by the original actor rather than added on by a dubber. You miss out on what the director was trying to do.

One exception is the very funny "What's up, Tiger Lily?", but that one was dubbed with a completely different, absolutely nonsensical script.

RHJMap.jpg

Again . . .

Am I the only one here who liked passion of the christ? . . . :unsure:

. . . wow . . . why is everyone looking at me know . . . :P

No you're not the only one...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Again . . .

Am I the only one here who liked passion of the christ? . . . :rolleyes:

. . . wow . . . why is everyone looking at me know . . . :P

I liked most of it. The scene where Mary sees him stumble when he is carrying the cross, then has a flashback to him as a child falling and hurting himself, even now brings tears to this old pirate eyes.

Maybe because I'm not steeped in christian dogma I saw it in a different light than others?

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

i haven't seen it yet!

~snow :D

with faith, trust and pixiedust, everything is possible ;)

if it be tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

IWG #3057 - Local 9

emmf steel rose player - bella donna, 2005

improv cast member and dance instructor - fort tryon medieval festival

lady neige - midsummer renaissance faire

I liked most of it. The scene where Mary sees him stumble when he is carrying the cross, then has a flashback to him as a child falling and hurting himself, even now brings tears to this old pirate eyes.

Maybe because I'm not steeped in christian dogma I saw it in a different light than others?

Seriously!! That is the only part of that movie that made me cry. I had brought along half a rainforest's worth of tissues because everyone said it would make me cry. There were guys crying more then me! I could handle the blood and gore with barely flinching - but that scene with Mary killed me . . .

but yeah . . . the christian dogma thing would definitly add a diffrent twist to it . . .