Crossing the Line

Fox

On the food thread the subject of crossing the line came up, and there was a little debate about the part Neptune may or may not have played. While going through Grose's dictionary (1785) for Kass's faire-speak thread I came across this. A little later than GAoP, but interesting nonetheless (and still no mention of Neptune)

ARTHUR; KING ARTHUR. A game used at sea, when near the line, or in hot latitude. It is performed thus: A man who is to represent king Arther, ridiculously dressed, having a large wig made out of oakum, or some old swabs, is seated on the side, or over a large vessel of water. Every person in his turn is to be ceremoniously introduced to him, and to pour a bucket of water over him, crying, hail, king Arthur! if during this ceremony the person introduced laughs or smiles (to which his majesty endeavours to excite him, by all sorts of ridiculous gesticulations), he changes places with, and then becomes, king Arthur, till relieved by some brother tar, who has as little command over his muscles as himself.

In Teonge's diary the celebration of entering the Straits of Gibraltar is the ducking of anyone who has not previously done so, or the payment of a fine in lieu. The collected fines are then spent on drink for the company at the next opportunity

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Quite a bit different than the "shellback" initiation rites as was done when we "crossed over". Neptune presides over this one on board U.S. navy vessels, but memory escapes me as to the origin for the ceremonies. One of the more memorable rites was havin to pluck a cherry from the navel of an over-weight Bos'ns Mate,( with yer TEETH!), and costumes were allowed within reason. If you've never seen a lot of ugly men dressed as mermaids... consider yourselves fortunate! B)

Capt. Bo

Here's an old account, no mention of Neptune, though...

Earliest Eyewitness Account by an English Sailor, 1708: Woodes Rogers, an English Privateer and later the Governor of the Bahamas.

Sept. 25. This day, according to cuftom, we duck'd thofe that had never pafs'd the Tropick before. The manner of doing it was by a Rope thro a block from the Main-Yard, to hoift `em above half way up to the Yard, and let `em fall at once into the Water; havin ga Stick crofs thro their Legs, and well faftened to the Rope, that they might not be furpriz'd and let go their hold. This prov'd of great ufe to our frefh-water Sailors, to recover the Colour of their Skins, which were grown very black and nafty. Thofe that we duck'd after this manner three times, were about 60, and others that would not undergo it, chofe to pay half a Crown Fine; the Money to be levy'd and fpent at a publick Meeting of all the Ships Companys, when we return to England. The Dutch Men, and some English Men, defir'd to be duck'd, fome fix, others eight, ten, or twelve times, to have the better Title for being treated when they come home.

Source: Rogers, Woodes. A Cruising Voyage Round the World: First to South-Sea, Thence to the East-Indies, and Homewards by the Cape of Good Hope. Begun in 1708, and Finish'd in 1711... (London: Printed for Andrew Bell, and Bernard Lintot, 1718): 23-24..

Is Neptune an American tradition, perhaps, for the next account reads:

CAPT David Porter, USN, on United States frigate Essex, 23 Nov. 1812.

On the 23d, we were honoured by a visit from the god of the ocean, accompanied by Amphitrite and a numerous retinue of imps, barbers, &c. &c. in his usual style of visiting, and in the course of the afternoon all the novices of the ship's company were initiated into his mysteries. Neptune, however, and most of his suite, paid their devotions so frequently to Bacchus, that before the ceremony of christening was half gone through, their godships were unable to stand; the business was therefore entrusted to the subordinate agents, who performed both the shaving and washing with as little regard to tenderness as his majesty would have done. On the whole, however, they got through the business with less disorder and more good humour than I expected; and although some were most unmercifully scraped, the only satisfaction sought was that of shaving others in their turn with new invented tortures.

Here's the site I found these, and others: http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq92-5.h...tm#anchor175935

das

I don't think the Woodes Rogers report is describing a crossing of the Line, in the sense of the equator. It refers to the "Tropick." All period sources I've seen call the equator the "Equinoctial," not the "Tropick." I assume this source is referring to the Tropic of Cancer, not the equator.