Chests

Captain Bob

This chest from c1690 is an example of an earlier style chest that was still in use throughout the GAoP. There is no evidence that this was ever used as a sea chest. The feet were added at a later period. Note that the large dovetails are fastened with roseheaded nails.

37"wide x 16.5" deep x 15"high

-CS

1670_english_chest_A.jpg

1690_A01_a.jpg

1670_english_chest_E.jpg

1670_english_chest_B.jpg

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...beautiful..

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

That last one very much reminds me of these....

hollisterchest.JPG

dower.JPG

PA Dutch painted chests....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Here are three more examples of chests from the late 17th century. I would like to point out that these are not sea chests. I am posting these images to give everyone and idea of the variety of chests that existed during the GAoP.

-CS

4762_17th_century_english_blanket_c.jpg

Oak 47"wide x 14" deep x 20" high

5453_english_blanket_chest_1.jpg

Oak 37" wide

3681_antique_carved_oak_english_bla.jpg

42.5" wide x 19" deep x 18.5" high

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg

Those are some pretty pictures.....

And looking at how a chest was constructed.....

and the size.... dang they are all very close to the same .....(OK give or take 5")

Considering the fact that "once apon a time" sailors actully lived out of.... well that is where they kept everything they owned.......

The size ain't bad........

Unfortunatly....

As a Re-enactor.....

Do I make an exact copy of something I can only use for a few events... but it IS period...

Or do I do as Sailors once did... and make something that I really can use....

Sorry to kinda twist this.... but period Sailors/Pyrates had to be practical....it's just what was practical back then is no longer practicle now...... I'm NOT saying "If they had it"..... but dang.... what works.. and can be done now.....(within reason...)...."in the spirit " of the thing.....

Like I typed.... I can make a preiod seachest....

But .... I can only take it to so many Pyrate events......

So at the events I can't take it to... I'ts useless......

So other than a few (and dang... Ojai... is a Renn Faire that has a Pyrate thiem cause it made more money......)

I'm happly "buzzed" right now.... but my question.... how many other Pyrates make stuff that is good only for one or two events....?

A smaller chest to lock up your plunder & weapons would be better than having a suitcase in your camp :lol:

Seriously though, you have to carry your gear in something. Build something practical.Who says that you couldn't have a smaller chest in addition to a larger sea chest. If you came across a smaller more portable chest would you toss it into the sea or would you consider a use for it? Should you be visted by the Authenticity Police just ask them why they are wearing a post 1738 shoe pattern.

-CS

guns_boobies2.jpg

you have to carry your gear in something

Well ... that is why I'm using a seabag..... I think a chest would work also.... but I have to figure out the size and practicality...... (and if a sea bag is even period........)

Should you be visted by the Authenticity Police

OK... that was slightly uncalled for.... tho.....

awh come on........ maybe you feel "picked on"...... (the arguements about treasure chest... vs. sea chest...etc......)

You have posted some good references......

But Twill is for "serious" (read that in a funny serious sounding voice... :huh: ) period disscusions......

No one is "slamming you for your post....

But if you post in Twill, you have to kinda sorta be able to back it up.....

if it's just for fun....... then ye post in Plunder..... and no one will hastle you for it.......

Twill is for the "hard-core-authentic- discussions"......

Plunder... is for the ..... welll easier going kinda Pyrate fun.....

Awh ... heck....I'm going to go have another rum and not worry bout it...........

:lol:

When I speak of the Authenticity Police I'm not speaking of ANYONE that I know from this forum. I'm talking about total strangers who stroll up to your camp wearing their Ren-Faire costumes & toy pistols and start measuring the length of your tent pegs :rolleyes:

-CS

guns_boobies2.jpg

I'm talking about the people who stroll up to your camp wearing their Ren-Faire costumes & toy pistols and start measuring the length of your tent pegs

OK..Sorry, I over reacted.....

You're posting good stuff.....

but it will always be questioned....

yah... sometimes it does get to be a hasstle....documenting everything... that's why I stopped playing with the SCA......

But the other side of it.......

Is it period....... or as I do, sometimes.... close enough for me.... (but I can't say that it" is period."...)

Dang.... I can't think of anyone else within 200 miles that is the "local authentic".... there are times when...."awh heck,,, close enough works"..... but as the "authentic" if I do somethng.... other people think it's period......... drat..... so now I gotta be aware of that.......

As an aside... I've always thought blindsiding someone about their kit during an event to be... very impolite to say the least. That's the kind of thing to do after an event, when critiquing and looking for the stuff that went right or wrong, or before the event, when we do research to figure out what needs improving upon.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Or do I do as Sailors once did... and make something that I really can use....

how many other Pyrates make stuff that is good only for one or two events....?

I made mine for my needs .., I do things for what I can use for my surroundings.

I wont make it for an event ., thats expensive for me. Then again I dont go to many events .

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Harbor Master,

Do you still have photos of the beautiful chest that you made? It's one of the nicest I've ever seen. I would love to have a pattern of that one so I could make one, if you ever had one.

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

Hey! My shoes aren't post-1738! <_<

Seriously, criticizing someone's kit at an event is rude. It's also the act of someone who feels they have to prove themselves. And as our new friend CS mentioned -- it's usually done by people in the worst kit with toy pistols who think making someone else feel small will make them feel big. Well, it won't.

These chest pictures are wonderful, CS! I'm so glad I didn't shut down this thread when it seemed to be about 19th century and fantasy stuff! ;)

Regarding "do I make it for a couple events or do I make something I can use all the time" -- that's personal choice. Like Pat, many of the events I go to require an airline flight. So there's alot of stuff I can't take with me. These days, I'm just happy to get my shoes on the plane!

My personal choice would be to make one of these large chests for my house, and carry my event stuff in a seabag. After all, aren't these chests CS is posting home furnishings? I mean, they're not "luggage" are they?

And yes, seabags are period appropriate. I should take a picture of the one Foxe made for us while he was here. Very utilitarian.

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Captain Midnight

Thanks for the kind words. Its for our bar and treasure.

That was about 4 years ago ., The top first then the bottom ., after completion .,then I use cardboard and make templates for the metal work. Kind of an as you go thing. I can take some photos for you this weekend and a few measurement if you like. As I remember to get the roll top the strips are cut at an 11 degree taper for their length. The real trick is the lid sides.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Hey!  My shoes aren't post-1738!  :rolleyes:

Actually, the Authenticity Police usually show up w' their trotters clad in brothel stompin' Xena Moccasins.

xena_stompers.jpg

Personally I think that French & Indian War footwear is a reasonable attempt at period footwear.

-CS

guns_boobies2.jpg

Hmmnn...this looks interesting. Anybody have this book in their collection?

amazon_umagooma.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Treasure-Chests-Lega...73224829&sr=8-7

or...

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/sto...ages/070735.asp

Treasure Chests: The Legacy of Extraordinary Boxes .

by Lon Schleining "ANCESTOR OF THE SAFE, PRECURSOR of the closet, the chest is perhaps the most universal and enduring form of furniture..."

amzon_uyto.jpgamazon_pigeon.jpg

guns_boobies2.jpg

These two titles ARE NOT about how to build a GOaP sea chest. However, if you have been paying attention to this thread you are aware that some chests from the 17th century resemble those from the Middle Ages. Both of these books are an excellent introduction into the construction of primitive furniture.

0811727955.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/081172795...8302380-4601717

0811728544.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Medieval-Furniture-I...8302380-4601717

This book is actually about post period chests. It does touch on the subject of bulding a barrel topped lid.

0811725596.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Boxes-Chests-Decorat...73226084&sr=1-1

I'll go ahead and repost this book as well. The 19th century chests depicted in this book share many attributes of chests from the GAoP period.

sea_chest_plans.jpg

http://www.marlinespike.com/sea_chests.html

guns_boobies2.jpg

This example was constructed before TGAoP, but the design is period.

2005-25-01-Chest.jpg

"This sea chest was acquired in Muscat, Oman and is typical of the style of sea chest carried by the Portuguese in the sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries."

Notice that the handles are similar(?) to the ones pictured in the chest depicted in the 1673 painting.

view_mus3.jpg

guns_boobies2.jpg

Yet another mid 19th century chest. This one is uncommon from other surviving examples beacause it is made from smaller boards. Other than the one surving becket and the boards reinforcing the bottom edge this chest is very similar to sea chests from the beginning of the 18th century.

Has anyone seen a chest from TGAoP that had the extra layer of boards along the bottom, outside edge?

Has anyone actually ever seen fancy-smanchy beckets that are from the GAoP?

Depth: 18 ½ in. Width: 39 3/4 in. Height: 17 1/4 in.

n238l.jpgn238k.jpg

n238j.jpgn238i.jpg

n238h.jpgn238g.jpg

n238f.jpgn238e.jpg

n238d.jpgn238c.jpg

guns_boobies2.jpg

Naive question regarding the fantasy quotient of treasure chests:

Popular myth and legend aside, why would putting treasure in a chest lead inevitably to burying it? Burying of chests being fictional does not necessarily preclude the existence of those chests in some form. In what sorts of shipping containers did the Spaniards pack all the stuff they were looting out of South America?

Some chests from the Mary Rose (English,built 1509-1511, sank in 1545).

These chests are obviously Pre-GAoP. Please note some of the features found on the later 19th century chests.

bschest.jpgbarberchest.jpg

Barber/Surgeon chest. Similar to later period chests!

chest.jpg

Captains Chest?

These next three were found in the carpenters quarters/work space.

plainchest.gif

More of an open box for storing tools.

type21chest.gif

Probably a clothes chest. Remains of cloth, braid, and thread found inside.

type24chest.gif

Except for the primitive ring type hinges this is very similar to some of the chests from the 18th and 19th centuries (see previous posts in this thread). Constructed of walnut.

-CS

guns_boobies2.jpg

I have 2 period sea chests made along the same lines as the slant-sided chest in the earlier painting. Unfortunately, I still haven't figured out how to post pics. Both are painted with blue milkpaint, dovetailed, and have becket attachments, but no beckets. Both have a flat top, not only for stacking, but for a work space. Both have dings and wear on their lids from use as a "table". The wonderful thing about one of them, is that it has paintings on the sides of various types of fish and sea mammals painted in a delicate 18th century style. They're hard to make out in some cases, but really well done. I'm assuming that no decorative painting was ever on the top, because it would wear off from use. Both also have decided salt-water damage on their bottoms, and about two inches up the sides. I found both in odd places-- one in Santa Fe, N.M., and one in an antique store in Salem, Oregon --- being used to hold dried flowers.

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

I ran across a very resonably priced mid 19th century sea chest.

Some minor modifications would make it acceptable for the GAoP period.

Chest sells for $240 USD (+ $65. S&H).

http://charliesboatworks.home.comcast.net/.../Sea_Chests.htm

seachest2.jpg

becketandcleat2.jpg

seachest-inside2.jpg

seachest4.jpg

If you requested an unfinished chest without the skirt boards. And if you were to replace the beckets with simple rope handles you would have a

period sea chest.

DISCLAIMER: I am not saying that beckets & skirt boards aren't period.

I am saying that I have yet to discover these features on any surviving examples, depictions in contemporay art, or written descriptions.

26-3/4L x 14-3/4w x 13 tall

Tumblehome or cant on front and back

3/4" White Pine,

Capacity = 1037 cubic inches.

Weighs approx. 40 lbs.

guns_boobies2.jpg

• 3 years later...