The good ship Californian

Iphi

I've sailed on the Californian during the Tall Ships Festival in Dana Pt.

Nice little sailing vessel. Don't know about going to Catalina on her. If you're not use to ocean swells that can get really big making a rollercoaster of the trip, invest in lots of Dramamine or similar.

The Californian is docked at the same dock as the HMS Surprise, so if you get a chance do take a tour of that ship, it's great!

Yes, we plan to visit the HMS Surprise and the other lovely ships at the Maritime Museum as well as the aircraft carrier there. We're really looking forward to it.

Alas, further investigation revealed that the Californian will notbe sailing when I have vacation. Oh well.

Iphi

I've sailed against the Californian before, but never on her. She's a rather seaworthy craft, and extremely fast. She was sailing circles around the Lady (though the Lady can do some things Californian can only dream of). I'd recommend a sail if possible, she's a pretty boat.

Coastie :rolleyes:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

We went on the Maritime Museum tour a few weeks ago. Very nice. The Russian submarine was very cool, and of course the Star of India is still a wonderfull vessel to tour. The docent on the HMS Surprise said that Fox Studios is going to pull all of the Master and Commander props soon. When they do, the MM is going to turn the Surprise into a PIRATE SHIP!!!

barbadossambanner0zj.jpg

"There be the chest, inside be the gold, we took them all. Spent them and traded them. We frittered them away on drink and food and pleasurable company. The more we gave them away, the more we came to realize... the drink would not satisfy, food turned to ash in our mouths, and all the pleasurable company in the world could not slake our lust. We are cursed men....Compelled by greed we were, and now we are consumed by it."