Dissecting the GAoP Seaman

Fox

It begs the question: is 3 bottles a shilling expensive or cheap. If it's expensive, then the bottles are more of the man's personal cargo, like the sugar and rum, that he intends to sell later. Unlike Josh, I think the rum wasn't for personal use but was rather more a commodity -- like an investment, to be sold at port. Perhaps the bottles were too.

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

I don't know from captains, Josh! :ph34r:

It's just that 30 gallons seems to me like a lot more than you keep around for guests.

In our world, that's alot, but they drank ALOT then...I think a 30 gallon barrel of rum shared amongst of group of thirsty capn' friends/hi-profile passengers, guests, etc... could dwindle to nothing over the course of a trip from England to say Barbados and back to England.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

I take your point, Josh. And it could be.

It's just that that's roughly half a hogshead. And hogshead was a common measure of liquid. Not that someone couldn't carry a hogshead of something for his own use. It just seems like alot...

And did this guy fall overboard at the beginning of his journey? Or could this have been a hogshead barrel that was half gone? Interesting...

I don't know about spirits like I know about beer ( :rolleyes: ) but if you tapped the barrel, how long would it keep?

Josh, your exactly right. Given the freeness in which rum was dispensed - punch, grog, &tc - 30 gallons might last a Captain from Portsmouth to Antigua, barring any unncecessary diplomatic encounters. :rolleyes:

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

Yeah and this was the ship's master. Now excuse my ignorance of sea terms (I'm the port entertainment, remember?) but does "master" mean Quartermaster? So he would be responsible for rationing out the men's daily portions of rum? That I could understand.

You see, I thought this was his personal possession...

I also fully admit to not thinking about the length of time he would have been on board.

Liquor will keep a looooong time....at least compared to beer. Bottoms up!

B)

It sure as 'ell kept Admiral Nelson! B)

I'll drink t' his old bones any day! :)

Kass, to answer your question; 30 gallons would certainly keep a temperate Captain for the 3 to 4 months journey from England to the West Indies. More hearty souls would no doubt requisition a bit in excess of that number. :)

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

On a good night's drinking a bottle of rum is no challenge to me, not that I'd want to do it every night! But let's say a couple of pints. 30 gallons is 240 pints, so if I kept it all myself I could polish it off in, say, 120 days - 4 months. But that would require my being drunk every night. Proportionally less time if I was "entertaining".

On the other hand, we must assume that a certain amount of booze was included in the ship's stores, and that rum was his personal stock. So, it might be for drinking and entertaining, but it could also be for trade.

Kass a master is the guy who's in charge of the sailing and navigation of the ship. On small vessels the master and captain were usually one and the same man. A quarter-master was a lower ranking officer, and not always to be found on small vessels (Evan's ship, for example, did not have a QM)

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Yup, if he poured some into his ship-issue beer and added some of that huge amount of sugar he was carrying he'd have "flip", the seaman's favourite, and then it would last much longer.

I'll have to check the source again, but I believe Evans died en route from Europe to America. Nobody brings trade rum into the Americas, it's an export. If my mind hasn't failed me then that would seriously reduce the chance of the rum being for trade rather than drinking.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Josh, I believe what you're referring to did have raw egg in it. There's a bit of a discussion about it over on the piratebrethren forum.

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk