Hope he can type with one hand ....

greenighs

Get yer mind outta the bilge, hearties! :lol:

I have a friend who's going to be recouperatin from a bad infection in his hand (aquarium-related, some scary tropical bacteria). He almost lost his hand, but thank god the doctors were able to get the infection under control in time. Anyway, since he's halfway accross the country and I won't be seeing him until April, I thought I'd start sending him some movies to keep him occupied during his recouperation. He's me list so far:

• Moonstruck
  • Kingpin
  • Dr. Strangelove
  • Goldfinger
  • Peter Pan
  • The Fugitive

I thought of The Machinist, but it's a little dark .... can ye think of any others, following the theme I'm after? :P

I already sent him a pirate teddy bear with a hook for a paw ....

Young Frankenstien has a pretty funny character with a proesthetic hand... and it's a funny flick overall.

NOAH: Wow... the whole world flooded in just less than a month, and us the only survivors! Hey... is that another... do you see another boat out there? Wait a minute... is that a... that's... are you seeing a skull and crossbones on that flag?

Ministry of Petty Offenses

How about "Edward Scissorhands?"  Or "Happy Gilmore" (remember Chubbs Peterson.)  Or...how about "Flesh Pond XXX...."  No, maybe not a good idea for him just now.  I wouldn't want his hand to get any worse.

Yeah, XXX might be difficult if the phone rings at the wrong time .... :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Wow, excellent suggestions all around, I'm gonna be going to the used DVD/CD place tomorrow to get as many as I can find.

When I heard he was in the hospital, I called him up and told him he was taking the whole Pirate thing a little too far ... he could wear a pretend hook if he really wanted to. :D

P.S. That's him, on the left. Aaaarrrrr!

talklikeapirateday_frames.gif

He had a ragged cuticle, and the infection entered there. The lab is culturing samples, and if it's mycobacteria, he can be stuck with an IV catheter going from his arm to his heart for twice-a-day antibiotic injections for six months. Saltwater tank with tropical fish and corals, opportunistic infection ...

I wear goves when I work on my tanks now, I tell ya. The fish won't necessarily be affected by the pathogens, but if they get into a person's bloodstream, they can be trouble. We have a pathologist at seahorse.org that regularly does necropsies on seahorses that have died from unknown causes, and he finds parasites, cholera, TB – all kinds of germs MOST of which won't harm humans (unless they're performing unnatural acts with their fish B) ). Just be careful, wear gloves if you have any broken or cracked skin, wash well before and after working in your tank, and at FIRST SIGN of an problem, go to the ER and tell them RIGHT AWAY that you've been handling tropical fish. My friend went to the hospital less than 24 hours after exposure and he still almost lost his paw, so it can happen to anyone and fast. Best to be careful. B)

Is he right handed or left handed? No matters but just dont forget

Fast Times At Ridgemont High and Caddy Shack

(well she certainly got all of that one)

Right handed, and it's his right hand with the infection. But it's getting better! He's doing okay, a day at a time. B)

greenighs, is that because any infection was contained in the tank?

Or do I never go swimming in the Ocean ever again...... :wacko:

Don't worry too much, Mr. Hand! Aquariums are like airplane cabins ... all recirculated, providing a perfect place for germs to grow. In the ocean, your chances of exposure to any nastiness is way, way smaller.

However, there's always a chance of getting an infection (maybe not as radical and fast-spreading as what happened to my friend) if you get seawater in an open wound. So just use common sense and keep an eye on any cuts you have if you're going swimming.