PIRATES AT THE OLYMPICS!!!!

Paisley

figure skater from belgium was just on the telly....dancing to the potc soundtrack...it was great! the anouncers said he was the first skater to get the audience envolved.

i googled him and this is what i found:

his costume (one of the pirate costumes):

E-IMG_7459copy.jpg

part of an interview:

Kevin van der Perren is no new name in skating. He became the Belgian champion already back in 2000 and was the talk of the town at the 2002 World Championships in Nagano where he charmed the audience and judges with a tango short program, dancing with a pretend partner. Earlier that season he got silver at Junior Worlds.

Having reached the ripe age of 23, he recently skated in the Stars on Ice shows in Antwerp for the third time, now as the ambassador for the event. As an IMG client he received the royal treatment and a hotel suite, to which he invited us to do the interview. He apologized for not being able to offer us anything to drink, but for the better part of an hour we had his undivided attention.

A good portion of the time was spent laughing and joking, but he also spoke in his frank and to the point way about his career, the Olympics and his life. We laughed about the construction in front of the hotel, which looked basically the same as last year and the year before that, and would most likely stay that way for at least two more. But according to Kevin that wasn’t the Belgian standard, but the Antwerp standard, and he jokingly added:

"Can you imagine what would happen if they ever had the Olympics here?"

A lady sat at a table while we talked, busy gluing tiny sparkling stones on a red bandana Kevin would wear with the new "Pirates of the Caribbean" costume.

"This is like my third costume for the season for the free", he explained. "Pirates" seems to be a very hard topic for a costume!"

This last version of the costume is red, black and white with sparkles all over it. It hung over a chair, and after a close look I just had to ask if he glued all the rhinestones on this one too and he laughed.

"No. I put in something like 30 hours on the last one, and the stones were still coming off. This one I didn’t do myself, but I like it so I’m keeping it.".....

......His programs this season are the "Computer game" short from last year, choreographed by Nikolai Morozov, and the "Pirates of the Caribbean" free. On the latter he worked with Diana Goolsbey.

"I worked with her before the last Olympics. I like what she does; it’s a different style from other choreographers. And I was sick of "Robin Hood" after doing it for a whole year… I wasn’t sick of the music, just of the program, I really wanted something new."

And already early last season he had the music picked out and knew he would be a pirate for the Olympic season. And Diana was just the right person to customize the action packed program."...

1461668bfsjvui84v.jpg

"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology & extereme violence." -Vivian, The Young Ones

Wicked!

Thanks fer catching that and sharing it with us, Paisley!

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

well knock me upside the head n' call me fred there now be a pirate on ice skates??? :ph34r: I better be sttin' down n' avin another pint, me own head is spinnin' :ph34r: , wi' what the world be comin to....what's a respectable scurvy ol plunderer n pilager to do I ask ye??? what next? a pirate goin to AAA meetings? singin' in the church choir? wearin' tights? (sorry Errol) :ph34r: .....better pour me the good rum, Ray....

more pics:

large_111990.jpglarge_112910.jpg4f21411d-7af3-42b9-864f-14dd341a11ef.jpg

i dont know what the black outfit is from, but on reading, it looks like he did a robin hood thing....i wonder if he's a rennie in the off season!

and if you squint hard enough...can you see a little orlando bloom????

1461668bfsjvui84v.jpg

"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology & extereme violence." -Vivian, The Young Ones

The real problem is NBC. They are spilting up everything especially when it comes to ice skating. Sometimes they aren't showing the very last entrant(s) until almost 11:00 at night. And sometimes they don't even show other countries that are skating. I've tried checking other cable stations but all I've been getting is either skiing, luge or similar.

I think this is one of the worst coverages of the Olympics I've ever seen! :ph34r:

Purty cool--I can see the next year's traveling ice show:

"Buccaneers On Ice!" :P I'd go see it!

Ya suppose if Tanya Harding dressed up as a Veloceraptor when she skated to the theme from Jurassic Park she would have got the gold? :lol:

Never give up--Never surrender!

Remember -- A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

Live while yer alive--an' when yore dead be done with it!

"Buccaneers On Ice!" B) I'd go see it!

Me too! :) It would be neat if they did POTC on ice!

Fortunatly, I tuned in just in time to catch his program. I was so excited when I heard the POTC music. I've always thought it would be cool music to skate to. Didn't see the red bandana on him though. He must have taken it off or something.

davyjones.gif