E'en more good news for Pyrate movies

MadMaryFlint

Depp Chosen As Oscar Favorite

September 23, 2003

Actor Johnny Depp has been pinpointed as the favorite to win the best actor Academy Award for his efforts in hit movie Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.

Depp put on an acclaimed comedic performance for his role as drunken pirate Jack Sparrow, and now critics have labelled him as the favorite for the coveted prize - with film studio Disney already preparing an Oscar campaign to support him.

An executive says, "He created something dynamic and original, and every single review raved about him."

If Depp does take home the prize in February, he'll prove to be an unusual choice as the trophy traditionally goes to actors who play more serious roles.

Score one fer the rock star pyrate. And it's about bloody time.

Arrrgh. I be not trustin' that there Academy; they be a political lot and manys a good performance that be ignored.

Jack Sparrow be a cake walk fer Johnny Depp, he be so talanted and versitile; there be a shipload o' films where his performance be deep and honest (Edward Scissorhands, Benny and Joon, and - aye - even Ed Wood). He be long deservin' recognition fer his work among his peers, says I.

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

Arrrgh. I be not trustin' that there Academy; they be a political lot and manys a good performance that be ignored.

Jack Sparrow be a cake walk fer Johnny Depp, he be so talanted and versitile; there be a shipload o' films where his performance be deep and honest (Edward Scissorhands, Benny and Joon, and - aye - even Ed Wood). He be long deservin' recognition fer his work among his peers, says I.

That be the best news I've recieved in a long, long time! Cheers for Johnny Depp, one of (if not THE) the greates' actors o' our time! B)

I totally agree, mate. I be convinced the Academy is rigged somewhat, for lots of hard work - and not jus' acting - like set design, costumes, art directing, editing, sound effects in other, less critically acclaimed films is overlooked. What a shame, it is. Notice how most or all of the nominations are for films tha' have somewhat been praised by film critics. Tha' may also be becuase I be still bitter abou' Baz Luhrman not being nominated for Best Director for Moulin Rouge (one of my favorite movies), but you know. Movies seem to be makin' themselves these days without directors. :angry: Anyway, there always seem to be something goin' on with the Academy, the real deserving actors never seem to win. There's always be some twist, every year.

Johnny has definetly done many o' films, and Jack Sparrow was just so much fun fer him ta' play. ^^ Aye, 't wasn' his most difficult role, but one of his most enjoyable. I'd be the happiest lass and fan if he were ta' win at the Oscars. Cutthroat, thievin' scoundrels, the lot of them!

Captain Wolfy Wench

Well.... I'll pass it along as soon as I hear anything about Disney's plans to support Depp in an Oscar race (Not holding m'breath here but hoping for the best) B)

I canna help but think of Donald O'Connors dying words...

"I'd like to thank the Academy for the life time achievement award that they will eventually give me." The man's dying words for ****** sake!!

Too many worthy people are 90 years old before guilt forces the Academy to act.

Lets hope it's sooner this time. (sigh) :angry:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

*drags soapbox to middle of floor*

What is the purpose of Hollywood? To entertain.

How do they measure their success? In revenue.

Why is it that every year, the movies that make millions upon millions of dollars are ignored, while 'important' and 'artsy' films take home all of the shiny statues? *crickets*

Wolfy, you're right. Baz was ripped off.

I was really ticked off when Andy Serkis didn't even receive a nomination for Gollum/Smeagol in Two Towers. To date it has made 920 million dollars worldwide (that's by itself, without the first one), but it gets Best Sound and Best Visual Effects. Thpppt! What hypocrites!

BTW: PotC has made 566 million dollars to date.

*jumps off soapbox, orders a rum for parched throat*

Hey, I work at a theater, too. I'm into this stuff.

Rumors of my death were right on the money.

You know what's gonna happen, right? Some stupid foreign film about either mental illness or the Holocaust will take Best Picture, and Best Actor will go to either the male lead in that film, or some old geezer who calls in his performance but everyone feels sorry for. Best Director will go to someone long overlooked as well, although Peter Jackson should deserve it for his amazing work on the Lord of the Rings series.

:ph34r:

I heard that they didn't want to hand the oscar to Jackson three years in a row, so they were going to wait till after the return of the king and give him the best picture prize then - and Yes Andy should have got it for Gollum!

My Precious Yo Ho!

Plunder Bunny Jackie Sparrow Bloody Charity ButterCupChuckleButt Kidd

Why is it that every year, the movies that make millions upon millions of dollars are ignored, while 'important' and 'artsy' films take home all of the shiny statues? *crickets*

Ye hit that un on the head. Ye be ready to graduate now...

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

Why is it that every year, the movies that make millions upon millions of dollars are ignored, while 'important' and 'artsy' films take home all of the shiny statues?

Ah, that be as money is crass-like, and arty is sincere. Therefore, if ye be a film what entertains and makes money, ye're too crass fer an award.

No...really.

:ph34r:

*ducks incoming shot and flying splinters*