actual pirate games

capngoldenstream

Welcome aboard Goldenstream, yes, this is the right place to post that query.

There was a thread a while ago about period dice games which you might search for.

Cards were also popular, various games, whist and faro included, would be authentic.

Board games too were popular, nine-mens-morris, backgammon, chess (can't imagine pirates playing chess somehow, but it was certainly around).

There were other forms of less cultured amusements too, skylarking - or races through the rigging, practical jokes etc.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Not that I have any proof, but I would think that cribbage, invented in the early 1600's and eventually popular among sailors (at least much later when me pa was in the Navy), may have found it's way onto pirate ships. In fact, many boards, like me own, are in the shape a ship.

Board games like Nine Man's Morris (mentioned), Solitaire (the game of jumping nails or pegs on a board until only one is left), and Fox and Geese are all very, very old, and have been popular for centuries. It's safe to say that such easily made games were played aboard ships of all kinds during the time in question.

Interestingly, although the first dominoes date back to c.1120 China, there is no reference to them in Europe until the mid-18th century, so although popular in the Caribbean to this day, they probably were introduced long after the GAoP. Aboard Asian pirate ships, however, they may have been played.

What would be interesting to know is what sort of 'less cultured' games were really played. I know of skylarking, races/contests between watches (esp. in the navy, and certainly on pirate ships), and the like- but what of the little things. Did pirates play an early version of mumbly-peg, or other similar games of 'skill'?

It's the small things that intrigue me...just thinking of how things were when I was young and bored - why heck, we could make a game out of anything, even hurling horse poo at the boys next door!!! Wish we had some eye-witness reports documenting the sort of games - traditional or otherwise - that pirates, even sailors in general, played. Anyone have such info?

das

Henry Teonge's diary mentions a few games and sports but most of them took place when the seamen went ashore: games such as cricket, hand-ball and hunting.

Aboard ship he mentions "handy dandy", putting something in onehand and having people guess which hand it's in.

He also mentions rowing races against the boat-crews of other ships.

A bit early, but a couple of game boards were found on the Mary Rose, including an unidentified board burnt onto the top of a barrell.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

A board burned onto a barrel? That would be great for a chess board or something of the likes, especially for a historical reenactment. When the crowds get to be too much, just retire to the camp, pour some beer in yer mug, and play a nice game of chess. All the while, looking perfectly accurate. Ahh, the possibilities.

Coastie B)

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Ahoy!

I know not if this has already been discussed as I still be a Bilge Rat in this here pub but, the favorite (and, authentic nautical) gaming aboard

the Bloomin' Bloomer be SHUT THE BOX....a simple yet addictive dice game requiring pirates to, well, SHUT THE BOX by way of dice throws.

Front Porch Classics makes a grande antique-y looking game.

Ye can look up the particulars on line as it be easier seen than explained.

It were played aboard ships as it were a simple yet contained game suitable for even the most pickleheaded pirate.

Still played frequently in British Pubs......accomodates any number of players...(low score takes the booty).....and, if ye be of a mind....great t' be teaching math skills t' the knipperkins. 'Course...makes a fine drinkin' game as well.....

Another Front Porch Classic that be non-authentic yet, just as addictive is DREAD PIRATE. Finely made and nearly as much fun as actually bein' out t' sea!

Just me input....

Fair Winds....

~Foxmorton