If the GAoP had a window to today ...

greenighs

Okay, somehow a rift is torn in the time/space continuuminum (I'll leave th' details to you Trek/SW/Dr. Who folks to work out) and Pirates of the Golden Age could download music and movies to their resulting ipods or whatever, what music and movies would they like? Would they be fans o' hip hop or metal or country? I'm thinking lots o'reggae and ska, 'specially o' the Jimmy Cliff with revolution and hayhem at its core ... and metal, just because of all the hellraisin it invokes, Public Enemy for the same reasons as the last ones ....

I think they'd be fans o' westerns and war movies, too. The Dirty Dozen, The Magnificent Seven, anything with Eastwood or McQueen. Don't know what they'd make of Erol Flynn ...

Oh, and Shaft, o'course, both versions.

Thems my picks. What d'ye think?

I was just talking to a music teacher about musical styles and how each new genre of music is initially almost universally reviled except by a few early adopters. You can go all the way back to the age of enlightenment and various styles of classical music find this sort of behavior. (Big band music was once considered immoral and indecent.) It seems to be the upcoming generations that enjoy new musical styles the most - until the music become so ubiquitous that everyone either ignores or accept it at some level.

I suspect if GAoP pirates heard the music we listen to today, they would be appalled by the racket. Kind of like George McFly waking in the middle of the night and hearing Van Halen on Marty's Walkman and covering his ears as if he were in pain.

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg