Pieces of Eight!

capnwilliam

I'd always heard that it was a common practice to cut a certain coin of the GAOP into eight pieces - "making change", so to speak - but then I heard that the coin in question was a "peso", and was worth "eight reales".

So I got to wondering: maybe "piece" is "peso", bastardized into English, and the "eight" meant only that such is the value of the coin? :lol:

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

A piece of eight is certainly an eight real coin, roughly equivalent to the European thaler or American dollar.

Don't you guys have 8 "bits" in a dollar?

May I direct you toTHIS THREAD on another discussion board.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Yes they were cut up coins. More spefically Spanish dollar de ocho reales which were worth 8 silver reales. Currency being based back then on weight rather today's 'face value' a coin could be cut up and used to buy things. Also when divving up booty in order to make share equal coins were often cut up. Sometimes by half a reale, sometime by a quarter of a reale and sometimes by a eight of a reale.

An eight of a reale was refered to as a bit. Hence 2 bits making phyically a quarter of a reale. One more thing. Holes were oftn punched in the coins so they could be strung and tie aound the neck or some other place that was secure on the body.

When America came to choose it's name for it's currency it chose the Spanish dollar over the British pound and with it it's nomenclature for it's diviosn. That's why we have half dollars and quarters (2 bits persisted as a slang term). Even when paper oney came into use the old terms stayed.

I was to have a set of a reale, a half reale a reale in quarters and in eights. It was a good teaching tool at evnets about pirate booty and 17th-18th cnetury currency. The pouch I had it infell off my belt and I haven't seen it since. :lol: I hope replcae it some day :)

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency