Pipes

Barbados Sam

I did a quick scan of topics and didn't see this, so if this has been addressed before, forgive me. I would like to have a pipe to smoke while at faires, but I want to make sure I select one that would be appropriate for the GOAP period. I'm hoping to find something other than the colonial style white clay ones that break real easy. Thanks for your help :blink:

barbadossambanner0zj.jpg

"There be the chest, inside be the gold, we took them all. Spent them and traded them. We frittered them away on drink and food and pleasurable company. The more we gave them away, the more we came to realize... the drink would not satisfy, food turned to ash in our mouths, and all the pleasurable company in the world could not slake our lust. We are cursed men....Compelled by greed we were, and now we are consumed by it."

If you look around, you can find shorter clay pipes. or get one of the longer ones, and keep using it when that stem breaks so it's shorter.

I keep mine in the brim of my hat, so it's outta "harms way" but I want to get a back-up because I know it will get broken one of these days....

Interesting thing about clay pipes.... when they turn brown after you've smoked them for awhile.... just put it in a fire overnight, and it will burn all the tar out, and next morning it will be clean and white again.....

I use a pipe that's nicely in period...

I glazed clay bowl, with a reed stem...

I own two... just be careful these have the same hazards as the ones you speak of, the stem can be easily broken, however, find a new reed, and yer problem's solved...

Find th' picture o' me in th' Gallery (Captain Lasseter), tis th' same as m'avitar... I's got one o' m'pipes there....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Sam, I had my pipes made by a charming woman in Devonshire by the name of Heather Coleman. Visit her site Here.

She is a bona fide old world pipe expert, and both collects originals and sells her handmade repros made to exact specs of the time period. In many cases she uses the ORIGINAL molds.

In my case, I had her make me two "Bristol 1721" pipes from original samples she has, so authenticity-wise, it's 100% spot on. Prices weren't bad either, only 20 bucks apiece, took her about a month to make and ship them, they arrived unbroken and very safely wrapped.

She's extremely friendly and knowledgeable, I would highly recommed working with her.

Just contact her thru her site and inquire about her early 18th century Bristol pipe repros.

Just click on my name/profile on the left for a shot of it in action! Smokes wonderfully!

newbannersigtar0db.gif

Josh, brother, you're my frickin' hero! That is really just too cool for words. :blink:

Now why can't someone in England have the "molds" for clothes from 1720s so I could stop sewing!

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Joshua, thank ye my friend fer the link. I jes sent the lass an email ta inquire about the pipes. Gramercy.

barbadossambanner0zj.jpg

"There be the chest, inside be the gold, we took them all. Spent them and traded them. We frittered them away on drink and food and pleasurable company. The more we gave them away, the more we came to realize... the drink would not satisfy, food turned to ash in our mouths, and all the pleasurable company in the world could not slake our lust. We are cursed men....Compelled by greed we were, and now we are consumed by it."

Aye, those are nice pipes lad. She got back to me already and advised me that she is not producing any more until after April. I'll check with her then. Thanks again for the link!

barbadossambanner0zj.jpg

I picked up a 1715 clay pipe at an event a few years back, and then proceeded to make a pipe cap based from an original for it. Didn't have the tools to do the fine bending of the wire to make the chain, so I have some twine holding it on now, but am hoping to get the chain done one of these days.

Cheers,

Adam C., Slop-man

Patrick,

Unfortunately, my computer is a royal pain in the arse, so I can't get pictures of the one I made. I can try and transcribe my notes, however, though they're mostly sketches with measurements added in. It was in a case with pipes and pipe fragments at the QAR in Charleston. The owner of the collection wasn't there at the time, so I wasn't able to get information on where it came from. Nearly everything in the collection is GAoP period, however. I'm hoping to get back up there and meet up with the guy sometime soon. The original was made of brass wire that has corroded from the sea water over the last 200 years and is now blackened. I was going through some stuff one day, and found a whole coil of correct brass wire that I had for some other project, and since I was bored and had nothing better to do, I dug up my notes and got to work. My friends get a kick out of seeing me smoke a pipe with this thing on it, but it looks awesome anyway.

Cheers,

Adam C., slop-man

I rember there was a thread about pipe caps but couldn't find it. Several intresting pics and stories in it I just didn't see the thread sorry but maybe some one else will have better luck.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

Mr. hand,

It starts off with a circle at the base, then you have a piece of running wire that loops around the base (almost like a blanket stitch) and then when you finish the first row, it goes on top of the previous row. The loops go between the loops of the first row, and so on and so on. Makes an odd (and crude) looking wire mesh. The original wasn't really nice, perfect, and fancy, but rather definitely made by hand bending the wire and more function over looks. Anyway, I hope this helps. If I get a chance to get some pics from an event, I'll try and get them up from a friends comp so you can see the pipe cap. Anyway, time for Church....

Cheers,

Adam

here's a grande pipe.... period fer GAoP?

*shrug*

IMGP1397.jpg

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Mr. Hand,

I will try and get a picture as soon as I can. Unfortunately, it is going to be a few weeks at least as I am trying to get 5 papers done at the same time (one of which involves going out of town) along with all my normal work and duties around here. Shoot me an email at provincialnavy@yahoo.com and I'll see if I can find a way of getting the notes to you....or if I can find an hour in here....something better...

Cheers,

Adam C., Slop-man

• 3 weeks later...