Looking for Pistol Parts

Tall Paul

Hello to all of you.

I have decided to start a project of making myself a flintlock pistol. I have managed to source all of the parts that I will need, apart from the Butt cap, (The metal "Pommel" that goes on the end of the grip.)

Can anyone suggest a supplier of parts for flintlock guns, who stocks butt caps.

It would also be a great help if they have a website, as this will help to speed up the ordering process.

The only place that I have found so far, is The Rifle Shoppe.

http://www.therifleshoppe.com/

But I am reluctant to order from them. Not only do they have a very long order time, up to three months, but they have no pictures of their products on the website, sometimes they have pictures of the original guns that the castings are copied from, but that is no indicator of the quality of their stock.

Has anyone had experience of buying from the Rifle Shoppe?

Or can anyone suggest an alliterative supplier of pistol part castings?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Tall Paul

Paul you might try these:

Antique Gun Parts The web site is useless and under development. Contact them directly and discuss what you need. If they can't find it it may not exist.

Track of the Wolf They have a fab website and an estensive inventory, great service. If only the rifleshoppe could match the service here, it would put all others out of business.

Brownell's Quite possibly the worlds largest supplier of gunsmithing stuff, but mostly modern.

I have some other links at home (I'm at work) so I'll get back to you later with some other sites.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Ahoy, Paul....

I have had experience dealing with The Rifle Shoppe on several occasions. Their waiting time can be considerably longer than the three months that you stated. If the item you want happens to be in stock, shipping is quite prompt, but bear in mind that they are considerably "less than truthful" about what is in stock. They seldom answer the telephone, and and are unreliable about responding to e-mail. When you are able top get a response out of them, they make delivery promises that they are unable to keep.

However....

They are not dishonest, and you will EVENTUALLY get what you ordered. They are just terribly frustrating to deal with. The quality of their parts are excellent. The only reason I continue to have dealings with them is that they are the ONLY source for much of what they sell.

You may want to try Track of the Wolf http://www.trackofthewolf.com/ also. They stock castings for the Heavy Dragoon pistol buttcap with the long graceful side extensions. These could be cut off or shortened if needed to create another style of cap. They will take orders over the phone, and are quite reliable. They also have an EXCELLENT catalog.

Being that you are in the U.K., you might want to check with Blackley & Son. http://www.blackleyandson.com/ I have not tried them yet, so cannot give an opinion, but if they are close to you, you can at least pound on their desk and raise Hell with them if not satisfied.

>>>>> Cascabel

Thanks for all the great links, All very usefull.

I am afraid that so far I have not been able to find the Dragoon pistol buttcap on the Track Of the Woolf webpage, perhaps I am looking in the wrong place. However, that Is exactly the sort of thing that I am looking for.

I used to have a Blackley and son catalogue, they have a great selection, much better than the website would have you believe. Unfortunately, they do not seem to be answering the phone at the moment.

Once again, many thanks,

Tall Paul

I am afraid that so far I have not been able to find the Dragoon pistol buttcap on the Track Of the Woolf webpage, perhaps I am looking in the wrong place. However, that Is exactly the sort of thing that I am looking for.

It's not on the website, but is in the catalog., which like you say Blackley's is, there is much in the paper catalog that is not on the website. Likely a phone call or e-mail to them will get what you want.

>>>>> Cascabel

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another that I had lost but just recently found again. You can get butt caps from Pirate's Cove Arms Now how could I have forgotten a name like that? A sample of their work, in sterling silver:

9_B.jpg

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...