What did pirates but their ball and powder into?

roytheodd

Greetings all. I'm a lurker turned poster and I've got a few questions.

The first question I have is what did pirates keep musket balls and powder in? I want to craft a way to hold these items, but I don't actually know what pirates used or what they look like. Are there people who sell these items?

My other question is about fabrics available back then. I want to make my own bandana, but I don't know what kind of fabrics were available to pirates. I know of silk and canvas (ugh), but what about cotton and hemp?

I thank you all in advance for any help you can provide. I've read much of the information here and I see you all seem to know lots on the matter of pirate wares. ;)

Canvas was hemp in the period in question. The word "canvas" comes from the word "cannabis". Get it?

Hemp and linen would have been your most likely fabrics for absorbancy. I can't imagine anyone would have used silk for a head scarf because it just doesn't keep the sweat out of your eyes.

Cotton is right out. Unless of course you're from Italy or Spain or the Middle East or South East Asia or...

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

There was some use of pre-rolled cartridges about this time, the cartridges stored in a special cartridge box. Click here for a really detailed Rev war specimen. It would be similar.

Also, powder was carried loose in a powder horn or flask:

aab-756_0.jpg

flask-hawksley-deer_0.jpg

Bullets carried either loose (not a good idea, dirty bullets), in ball flask

FLASK-BALL_1.jpg

or in a bullet board or loading block. :

loading-block_1.jpg

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Actually, most pirates put their powder and ball into their pistols. They found these things to be rather useful when put in there.

:lol:

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Actually, flints are notoriously slow to load, so loading during a boarding action probably didn't happen. During a boarding action one would carry as many pistols as one could handle. The drill would be to fire the pistol, drop it and draw another until you ran out. Add a boarding axe, a fighting knife and a cutlass, mix and match as the situation warrants, reserving one pistol of last resort and remembering that an empty gun is still a good club. Braze has a pistol with a bow to guard the fingers that could be used to parry while loaded, retaining that shot as the last resort. Also remember that a pistol still stuffed in a dead guy's sash or laying about on the deck at half cock and frizzen down hasn't been fired yet. PICK IT UP AND USE IT!

3ff66f1f.jpg

In fact, the handles of most pistols are designed to be used as clubs. They also turn very nicely in the air when you toss 'em up and catch them on their barrels.

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Captain Jim

Of the pics you posted, I've got to make a couple of comments. The first horn is great, no problem. The second, the copper flask is mid 19th century, so OOP for most of us. the third, the leather flask has been shown to be correct for the period, but I'd question how dry it would keep the powder in a maritime environment.

The last, the loading block is an item of huge debate. There is exactly one exable that dates from the French and Indian war period, and the provenance has been challenged a number of times. The loading block seems to date from the Rev War period. This would actually make sense as it's really designed to load a rifle. which were not really common until the latter part of the 18th C. The patch and small caliber don't really work well with the large calibre weapons of the GAoP.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

The first question I have is what did pirates keep musket balls and powder in?

Well, we know that a cartridge box was recovered from the wreck of the Whydah, so it is probably safe to assume that at least one pirate actually had a cartridge box.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Busted! I threw the flask in to stir the pot. I know, bad Captain, but I wanted to draw responses from the more knowledgeable at the Pub (and I was at work and feeling peevish :lol: ). I promise I'll quit that unless I qualify it with a caveat of some sort.

On the subject of the leather flask, that was for bullets, not powder.

On the loading block, I'm not sure either, but I suspect that it was a development of market (fur) hunters, and actual use more than likely predates documentation by some time. This is one of the more interesting aspects of frontier (and interestingly, pyrate) life, that it was painfully undocumented. Did all of the historians stay on the old sod and send a batch of non-journalists to this shore?

3ff66f1f.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Pirates used all manner of methods to transport powder and ball, remember these are resouceful men who used whatever was at hand. The major methods, flasks and horn/catridge boxes, have already been brought to light. However if you want something a little different and like the buccaneer look I suggest the sugar cane husk powder measures from Old Dominion Forge. www.olddominionforge.com

THIS CABIN-LAD'S GROWN HAGGARD, SO IN THE POT HE GOES AND FROM HIS SKIN WE'LL MAKE A LITTLE DRUM TO BEAT AS WE FIRE HUMAN HEADS FROM CANNONS AT OUR FOES. AND SET THE SEAS ABLAZE WITH BURNING RUM.

One thing to remember leather was not real popular at sea do to the salty air would crack and stiffin it to the point that it would fall apart. notice that most crew did not wear shoes they most of the time ran around bare foot due to they did not have the money to buy shoes at every port (excluding the Capitan or higher ranking officers hins more share of plunder)

not saying leather wouldnt be out at sea it would be a little more scares then most people would think. so more then likely it would be made of canvis, horn, bone, metal, and wood

:lol:

• 1 month later...

Powder was usually carried in a compact with a mirror and a puff. Balls went into a codpiece. Oh, wait a minute, you meant the other kind. Never mInd.

I know there's no evidence, but isn't it possible that powder was carried in small, thick glass bottles? It would keep the powder dry and a leather or cloth cover would protect it from breaking. A tiny laudanum bottle would be perfect for priming powder. Just a suggestion.