Carvings

I liken that ye find time in this day and age ta sits back without the pressures of the inner big city and ye can work these kind a miracles mate my hats off to ye! Ye be a sure fire talented man indeed. God bless ye.

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

Thank ye for your kind words.... would be a true pleasure to carve a ship's figurehead too.... the master carver who taught me did a beauty of King Neptune.

I think the secret to leavin' the pressures behind is taking the time to do things like this.... we all need a means to express ourselves and just get lost in the moment for a few hours.

skeletonav.gif

Very nice work, man! What type wood do ye use? Are they of any chief in particular (reminded me of Glooscap)?

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

Could you post some pics of the forge mate and by the by fine work sir ever blend the two with a carved handle?

Will have to snap a pic of it... it's a 16" brakedrum welded onto a tripod made from rebar, the holes are welded shut except fer the center where a piece of 2" pipe is welded in, then a 'T' with a straight drop tube with a flapper for an ash dump, and a 90 degree pipe off the 'T' for the blower.

Will get some pics for you tho.

I haven't done any intricate carving on a handle, but I do make the handles by hand as well. The blades pictured have handles made from 'bubinga'.

All my rough work is done on a piece of steel flatbar the width, thickness and length I want the blade to be, the rough shape is drawn out and then I take an angle grinder with a 120-80 grit flapdisk to rip away the mild steel and shape the blade and tang, next comes the rough tapering of the cutting edge.... same tool. I keep going with finer disks to refine the blade. Once I get it the way I want I decide if I want to harden it, temper it, leave it as is etc..... depends on the application. The handle/ handguard are done last but the handguard is permanently welded to the tang for strength. It's really not that hard if you are good with a grinder and not inclined to burn yourself on hot things... assuming you want to heat-treat it. Unless you actually plan to cut something with it, or cross blades there isn't much point. If it's just for a 'hanger' (on your wall) you can leave the blade as is.

skeletonav.gif

yeah mate nice work.  Very well done.  What kind of tools do you use? can u buy sets? i wanna look for a set, what would u recommend?

Ive tried with some old tools but they werent strong enough.

Here's a few of the tools I use;

I only use Pfeil tools (Swiss made and pronounced 'file'... come pre-sharpened from the factory) and a few Stubai (Austria, pronounced 'stoo-bye'... don't come pre-sharpened from the factory), although I do have two flexcut knives which are quite good. Just remember you have to keep em razor sharp too, so you'll also be needing a 1000/4000 X waterstone and a good leather strop with some honing compound. For the inner edges of gouges you'll need a good slipstone too. Some carvers recommend an 8000 x stone as well, but quite frankly the 4000x is plenty and the strop/compound will do just as well as the 8000x stone.

I can tell you straight out, you will be frustrated with poor tools, buy the best you can, even if you only splurge on a couple at first, a nice gouge, a parting tool and a good knife will go quite far.

Size is dependant on how big the carvings you intend to do are.

Gouges come in many differ'nt sweeps as well.... take a peek here; http://www.woodcraft.com/depts.aspx?DeptID=2263

Although you can likely find a dealer in your area.

PS.... yes, those ARE dental picks to the far right.

tools.JPG

skeletonav.gif

That is truly outstanding work, my friend, on both the carvings AND your forgework...I too do a bit of wood carving and have a brake drum forge that I piddle around with...alot of fun. :lol:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)