Not your average day at work

El Pirata

We had a storm hit Norfolk this morning and it sunk one of our boats which we happened to have tied off on carrier row. We are not sure exactly what happened and will not know for sure until Friday when it is planned to lift it from the water and either try to get it to float by itself or set it on a barge for a trip back to Useless. I would elaborate more but I am heading back to work a full 4 hours after returning from dealing with this fiasco all day for another 18 - 20 day full of fun and adventure. Army, pee all that you can pee..... Incidentally, the water here is about 60 feet deep and the boat has bottomed out. Enjoy...

Digital_Pics_836a.jpg

Digital_Pics_839a.jpg

Digital_Pics_847a.jpg

Digital_Pics_852a.jpg

Digital_Pics_869a.jpg

Digital_Pics_870a.jpg

Digital_Pics_871a.jpg

Digital_Pics_876a.jpg

Digital_Pics_902a.jpg

Digital_Pics_909a.jpg

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

Here's pics of the revcovery today. The original plan was for a tugboat to pull it so that the bottom was facing the water again and have the divers fill the stern with air uuntil the vessel was free floating again. Once on the surface the remaining hatches would be opened and the water pumped out. For whatever reason this never heppened and they ended up using slings tp just plain lift it to the surface then open the hatches and drain the water out. Once the water was drained the vessel would then be put onto a barge and sailed back to her home port.

As seen this morning two days after she sunk.

Digital_Pics_918a.jpg

These next 3 are the tugboat pulling her flat.

Digital_Pics_951a.jpg

Digital_Pics_955a.jpg

Digital_Pics_966a.jpg

Here's how she settled after she was pulled flat and the crane that would lift her later in the day.

Digital_Pics_992a.jpg

One of the diver's about to hook up the slings.

Digital_Pics_1005a.jpg

The Small Tug 911, she is one of the 900 series and had just been completed around 9/11 so she was renamed Enduring Freedom.

Digital_Pics_1013a.jpg

The diver's mobile equipment and the two types of slings used for the lift.

Digital_Pics_1020a.jpg

The initial lift attempt.

Digital_Pics_1036a.jpg

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

The slings got hung up on the initial lift attempt.

Digital_Pics_1043a.jpg

Digital_Pics_1054a.jpg

The sheen on the water from the bilge oil and the diesel fuel coming out of her hull.

Digital_Pics_1055a.jpg

Digital_Pics_1056a.jpg

Attempt 2 went flawless.

Digital_Pics_1064a.jpg

The winch is now visible.

Digital_Pics_1080a.jpg

The pilothouse is now visible.

Digital_Pics_1085a.jpg

And the stern. You can see the pilothouse door is open. As she sank the door was forced open by the pressure and the window in the door was blown out.

Digital_Pics_1089a.jpg

The first people board her to start salvaging her. That's the mast where it fell when it broke off sometime during the previous 48 hours.

Digital_Pics_1104a.jpg

One of the engine rooms filled to the brim with water and oil.

Digital_Pics_1111a.jpg

The hydraulic room filled with water and hydraulic oil.

Digital_Pics_1112a.jpg

The inside of the pilothouse.

Digital_Pics_1113a.jpg

All of us got into the salvage effort at this point so no pics were taken which is why the sun is close to setting in the remaining pics. Here she is being lifted up.

Digital_Pics_1120a.jpg

Here she is on the barge.

Digital_Pics_1123a.jpg

Here she is being pushed home by the ST 911 into the sunset.

Digital_Pics_1124a.jpg