Kid Friendly Caribbean

Monterey Jack

Greetins!

My wife and I will be headin to the Caribbean next year and we're in a bit of a fix. WE want to go someplace with lots of pirate history to it, museums, treks, landmarks.....pubs.....

However we will have our 8 year old daughter with us as well as another family.

Any idea where the best child-friendly spots are but where the adults have equal time? I don't want to end up in a Caribbean "theme park" for 2 weeks.

Jamaica seems the most likely, but I've read some posts about Nassau too.

:P

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

been to both...my first thought was nassau...they do have a small quaint pirate museum to see, you can "hike" to blackbeards tower (aka the water tower) and there is a cool little fort at the tallest point in nassau. the kids you can always take snorkling or the obvious atlantis aquarium. on the other side is a dive (and snorkle/snuba) center that is built on a set used from the old flipper tv show (stuarts cove, i believe, and they are GREAT!!!!). anywho...lots of things both kids and adults...

jamaica..well...it's so large...guess it just depends on what city you're in...i spent a week just outside of mo bay...so if you want some info there (or nassau) pm me.

1461668bfsjvui84v.jpg

"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology & extereme violence." -Vivian, The Young Ones

Nassau, definitely. The Pirate Museum is awesome - better than any in the Americas (sorry Pirate Soul). Fort Charlotte is a great fort to play at and there's a smaller fort at the top of the hill near the water tower.

The best place to stay is the Atlantis - they have reasonable rooms in the older part of the hotel. They have a private lagoon for watersports and snorkeling and a 50,000 gallon aquarium that is simply awesome. They also have a huge pool with waterslides.

I know my 7 year old would just love it there. He could spend a week there without even leaving the resort. Throw in a pirate museum, forts and he'd be in heaven.

And, of course, the resort has plenty for adults to enjoy, as does shopping in Nassau.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Thanks for the referrals; I doubt we'll get waaaay down into the leeward islands, but its good to know there's something for everyone in the more "popular" islands.

Me, I'd be happy with a hammock a bottle of the Captain, and a spot on the beach in Tortuga.

:unsure:

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

Some insider information. If you stay at the Comfort Suites next to the Atlantis, you will have access to all the amenities of Atlantis. The Atlantis hotel you see on the commercials is the new part of the hotel.

The older part of the hotel with small grotto pools is by the Comfort Suites side. It's a long walk from the Comfort Suites and old part of Atlantis to the new part with the waterpark, but the price makes it a great deal.

Comfort Suites Nassau

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.