Wizkids Pirates Islands

John_Young

I used to build structures ans stuff like that when I was about thriteen years old. My favorite technique was paper towels soaked in Plaster of Paris. I didn't know anyone else who was interested in that sort of stuff, so I drifted out of it (although I just found a box of my old minatures.) Actually, you know what got me into it? Not wargaming, or roleplaying, or anything like that. It was a game called Fireball Island. I got that when I was maybe eight, and that's all she wrote.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

By they way, that 'shifting lands' page you linked to is incredible! that's always the kind of stuff I wish I could do.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
the flags & pennants only fit on the ships backwards, against the wind!:

Well, the _flags_ all fly nose to the wind, true, but the pennants can be just as successfully mounted in either facing. Just because Wizkids puts them backwards in all their photos, doesn't mean that we who "know better" can't do it the Right way.

As for islands, I'm looking at building a few myself. If anyone has managed (like me) to come into a free copy of Games Workshop's old Mighty Empires game, they'll find that the little villages and towns are just the right size to look appropriate for the _islands_ scale in PotSM (not the ship scale, which is obviously a different scale entirely).