PIP 2006 IT'S NOT TOO EARLY TO PLAN!!!

callenish gunner

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time I was down in Key West, I flew into Key West and drove back to Fort Lauderdale to fly home. The drive is actually pretty nice as it goes all through the keys. I am considering it if I attend the PIP, but traveling alone, the cost savings isn’t that great. Now car pooling and driving down is a really nice savings and it only takes a few hours, which could be similar to waiting for the plane. If anyone does this, make sure you stay off I-95.

I also have been considering how do I bring my rapier as I doubt it will fit in any suitcase I have. I considered mailing it to myself at the hotel or bed & breakfast. My room mate suggested putting it in a box and checking it on the plane.

Xoxo

Miranda

Lone Pirate of Pittsburgh

from pittsburgh you could carpool the whole way ....since i drive down I-79 into west virginia and then continue south about 26 hours of driving and since i'll be packing all sorts of weapons one more rapier would be no biggie

:rolleyes:B)B) pm me if you want to travel that way

• 1 month later...

Seriously looking at airline tickets now.....

I can get from San Fransico to Miami for $302, then take the greyhound down to Key West.....

Or for $469, I can fly all the way there......

Think I might save the $100 and take the bus the rest of the way..... now I have to look up the greyhound schedule again.......

The prices have been jumping all over th' place....... :huh:

KW is always way more expensive to fly into than Miami. Patrick has the right idea. Otherwise, people can pool on a car and take a rental down the keys. It's a four hour drive but a really nice one. We drive 8 to get there from Orlando because it's just not worth the money to fly. Since the festival is only four days a weekend rental on a car for four shouldn't be much. Three years ago we have a van with 10 of us - it cost us $10 a day when we split the cost.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Does anyone know if there are any hotel accomodations left on the off chance I can go?

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

There are usually vacancies down in KW that time of the year. It's not tourist season and all the hotels are half empty. That's one of the reasons why the festival was originally started.

On priceline.com they have the Comfort Inn Key West available for $117 per night. Split that by two and it's a pretty good deal, particularly for Key West. There are others that are a bit more expensive. Hunt around, you'll find good deals there.

Good luck!

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

Hurricane, thanks so much I'll be checking it out! B)

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

No problem - it's like my second home...

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

I had several crewe mates catch the Greyhound. If I recall it's an easy catch from the Miami airport and its arrival in KW is only about another hour later than driving. Good time to catch some Zzzzzzzz's. Good call Patrick. Excited about meeting up with you again this year!

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

OK... tomarrow I got to get me airline tickets...... been putting it off.... I figyre the prices are as low as they are going to get...... so I better get offa me butt and get them NOW.........

SF to Miami... then take the Greyhound down to Key West......................

Yup, typically the best fares there are 30 days out. Get too much closer and they start targeting the fares to business travelers who can't plan that fare out.

Looking forward to seeing you there!

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

• 2 weeks later...

It is a great way to travel to Key West - and there is an absolutely terrific pizza parlour just off the dock if you're hungry. We did a pirate fair there about a month ago.

- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

• 2 weeks later...
I'm planning on catching the greyhound bus to Key West on Wednesday at 12:35.... I'll be arriving in Key West at about 5:15, than catching the public bus out to the Fort.......

Round trip is only $66.00

Well Patrick ...looks like I'll be riding the too. In fact I may be able to catch the same bus. Mind PMing me the bus info?

Well .... figuring out last minute travel stuff.....

I leave my house no later than 5:00 on Tues. Nov. 29th

Drive to the Dublin/Pleaston BART station arive there at 7:20 and catch the BART to SFO at 7:24

Ariving at San Fransico Int'l at 8:41....

My Flight leaves SFO at 10:45

I arive in Miami the next morning at 11:52, then catch the Greyhound bus at the airport at 12:35 and finaly arive in Key West at 5:05....

I will then catch a local bus (I'll ask which color bus this year... blue or green)

And should get to the fort somewhere around 6:00pm Wednesday.......

So after 22 hours of travel (figuring in the time difference)..... I will be at P.i.P. B)

"I am an arse."

Well, I somehow messed up my flight reservations! I managed to reserve a flight that arrives in Miami at 10:05 PM on 11/29 and one that leaves Miami at 9:00 AM on 12/4. How I managed to switch the flights like that I'll never know. I have learned to look at the reservation confirmation as soon as it arrive! :ph34r:

So, my choices are as follows:

:ph34r: Switch the flights @ a cost around $400.00

:ph34r: Rent a car because it will be less expensive.

:ph34r: Cancel these flights and scheduel new ones using the credit for this flight within a year.

:ph34r: Switch this flight and just go to Pittsburgh to visit my father who has been in and out of the hospital over the past few months and plan on PiP for next year.

None of which I am too thrilled about.