Pirate Pub

Jib

Anyone ever spent any time in a pirate themed bar? I don't mean a place called the Salty Dawg with a ships wheel behind the bar and fruity drink called "The Ship Wreck". I mean a place that looks period (or close to it).

Gaspar's Grotto in Ybor City fills the bill nicely. A little more modern in tone but still very nautical feeling, right down to the cargo crates holding up the outdoors bar.

The old Admiral Benbow Inn bar in West Seattle was over the top piratical, complete with the Hispaniola Bar with a ship's window in the back and heavy timbers and cargo hatches in the ceiling. You swore you were on a pirate ship. No longer there, though.

By far the best is Taberna del Gallo in St. Augustine. The bar is just a board between two pillars, they only server period drinks (plus sodas for the wee ones), lighting is by candelight - no modern electricity for such contrivances, and a group sings sea chanties on weekends. All the furnishings are rustic wood.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

My favorite's the Harp and the Hound in Mystic, CT. It's not specifically pirate themed, but it's a historic Irish pub built in the late 1700's situated in a historic whaling town. Plus, on Sunday nights they sing sea shanties (along with jigs and reels on Tuesday nights). Truely a fun place to go.

Coastie :huh:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Ybor City is in Florida, near Tampa...

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

Believe it or not, there's actually a pretty decent nautical pub in Milwaukee, although it's (fittingly) hard to find by land (they have their own dock - getting there by boat is much more straightforward. Well, kinda.)

Barnacle Buds

I've only been there once, and am itching to go again to see if it's as cool as I remember. From what I recall, it very much has that feeling of being an old shack, with shelves overflowing with old junk (some nautical, but some farm equipment.)

I AM BILGEMUNKY

When I lived In Pensacola, Fl. our band used to play in a place called Trader Jons. P'cola is a Naval town and alot of the sailors use to go there. This place looked like an old beat up shack but was quite big on the inside.

It was sectioned off into 2 separate rooms. One side had all kinds of Naval and Nautical memorbilia with piece of planes, ships and diving equipment hanging from the ceiling...flags, Blue Angel's stuff & pics all over.

The other section had a piratical theme of just about anything you could imagine. This is where the stage and dance floor was at with old wooden mast, sails, and weapons on the walls. It was a very drafty, and musty and dark and dreary which gave it the atomosphere of the period. Couldn't leave Instruments in there too long cause of the humidity. My guitar cases were full of those little silica gel moisture relievers.

8889961564257193a222f0.gifmirageus1.gif

I want to visit New Orleans and go to Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop & Pub. No link for it, but you can search the internet for photos of the place. Most are outside photos, though.

Drunken_Parrot_Bar_Sign.jpg

You will be flogged. And God willing, come morning, you will be flogged some more.

Speaking of Milwaukee Blige, I here that they have a pirate museum... Truth or Fiction?

I'd have to say fiction, unless it's the best kept secret in town. Oshkosh (about 1.5 hours north) had a splendid temporary pirate exhibit last summer, but other than that you got me stumped.

I AM BILGEMUNKY

I'll have to check out Trader Jon's!  I live in Mobile, just an hour's drive from Pensacola!  And me best bud plays hockey in Pensacola a couple of times a week and I tag along to watch her play .  It would be a great place to go afterwards!

Hi Carmina,

We used to love ta go to Mobile and party. Use ta hang with Jimmy Buffett down at the Flori-bama Lounge in Gulf Shores slurppin' raw oysters and seein' how many pitchers o' beer we could kill.

Sorry ta say Trader's is now closed and all the stuff that wuz in th'er is at a museum. E'res tha link on da story...

http://www.intruderassociation.org/oldsite.../traderjons.htm

8889961564257193a222f0.gifmirageus1.gif

I must have been thinking about Oshkosh.

I have seen tons of nautical themes but to really capture the feel in a pub would be an excellent time. I once enjoyed a drink in a pub at Convennington Garden (spelling) in London in a place that dated to the 1600's. Lots of nooks and alcoves but more modernized. Of course the UK has the lions share of period looking pubs.

Man, I forgot about Lafitte's. One of the great pirate bars on earth. It looks like it's half falling over and is candlelit. Great place...

Buccaneer's Roost is a pirate bar in Port Royal. It is closed now but a perfect place to reopen and run if you want to expat. The building's in great shape, really spacious and has an outdoor section adjacent. Right smack in the middle of PR. They used to fly pirate flags off the mast before it closed.

Hhm, perhaps the Pyrates of the Coast crewe should expat.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Believe it or not, there's actually a pretty decent nautical pub in Milwaukee, although it's (fittingly) hard to find by land (they have their own dock - getting there by boat is much more straightforward. Well, kinda.)

Barnacle Buds

I've only been there once, and am itching to go again to see if it's as cool as I remember. From what I recall, it very much has that feeling of being an old shack, with shelves overflowing with old junk (some nautical, but some farm equipment.)

That place is literally about a quarter mile from my Marine unit's building... and I never knew it was there!

Oooo... will you lease a vacation room at the olde inn when you guys re-open?? I'll help refurbish... I'll work for food!

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

My troupe's favorite spot is "Blackbeard's" on Corpus Christi beach. The interior looks rather like a patchwork of several ships and a few houses, very rough looking but homey none-the-less. Pub situated between two sections of resturant where one can enjoy live music on some Saturday nights while you dine on the fresh catch of the day. And if the weather is nice, feel free to perch on one of the outside barstools to enjoy the sea breeze on your face while you dine (or watch one of the local lubbers put themselves in the stocks!)

If you are ever in the area, stop in and check 'em out, you won't be disappointed.

Cap'n Emerald

Captain Emerald Shaunassey O' The Salty Kiss

www.TheLadiesoftheSaltyKiss.com

By far the best is Taberna del Gallo in St. Augustine. The bar is just a board between two pillars, they only server period drinks (plus sodas for the wee ones), lighting is by candelight - no modern electricity for such contrivances, and a group sings sea chanties on weekends. All the furnishings are rustic wood.

-- Hurricane

There is another in St. Augustine, of the modern type. They have pirate manikins sitting around the dining room and two pirates climbing the ratlines that separate the dining room. and much more....."Hurricane Patties"