Map antiquing

oderlesseye

A While back I decided I needed a map.I purchased one that dates to 1792.westindiespic.jpg

I Took it to a reprographics place and made large copies. This is for the piratical theme in the "cove" I'm building out back and so today twas the day.

My first try was with coffee and tea in the bath tub but paper was not strong enough and tore easily. when I went to put the shower door back on it shattered in a million pieces. This map is getting expensive...

So I took the action outside and was determined..

PC040138.jpg

after applying the stain lightly with a sponge

PC040139.jpg

I blew it dry

PC040141.jpg

and Am now happy and ready to frame it and hang it in the cove.. :ph34r: YEAHHH !PC040140.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

I have te admit I did the same thing 4 years ago. I bought the Rand McNally old style maps and tea and coffee grind stained them. When they were dry I burned the edges and thru some of the middle and rubbed the soot around as well. When all was said and done, I used wallpaper paste and pasted them up on the walls in my guess bathroom. It turned out Great! Good luck to you and let me know how it looks. :)

Scarlet McBayne

" Touch not the Cat without a Sheild " McBayne motto

"red is the Rose in yander garden grows

Fair is the Lily of the Valley"

Nice work there, matey!

I was worried, too, that the stain would chemically corrode the paper. I also use only coffee (instant coffee, that is).

...When all was said and done, I used wallpaper paste and pasted them up on the walls in my guess bathroom. ...

What's a "guess bathroom"? Is it the head for an imaginary friend?

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

I've had more luck aging maps by wiping coffee and tea on the paper with a rag than by actually "bathing" the paper... I've tried that and have always had the paper tear, especially on a large piece... just my two doubloons' worth!

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

• 2 weeks later...

After decades of trial and error, I found what has to be the easiest method ever.

Pour yourself a cup of tea. While you enjoy your delicious Earl Grey, take out the teabag, still sopping wet (and maybe no longer piping hot) and use it as a paintbrush over your document.

When the bag is pretty dry, dip it back into your cup for a quick refresh and repeat. Flip the document and do the back. Lay a wet sheet onto a dry one for an interesting pattern transfer, and then homogenize the results on both with another teabag after they have dried.

So easy. Relatively no mess and no fuss. Plus you get to enjoy some really good tea. And you do not need to brew gallons of the stuff, or deal with huge liquid-laden pieces of paper (which tend to rip under their own weight). The applicator-teabag gives you great control over degree of staining, and you can make it darker with additional applications.

As I have needed to produce (literally) many thousands of "antiqued" documents, I cannot imagine a better method. My work area is 11x17" (I typically create legal-sized documents, and they can be stacked wet/dry/wet/dry atop each other), and I only need a hot water source, cup, supply of tea, artwork, and a garbage can.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg