Woodes Rogers, the Wonder Years

Fox

I've recently been trawling through the Lewis and Cornelius chapters of Johnson's General History with the aim of seeing to what extent the details of the stories can be shown to be either true or false. Yes, yes, I know the stories are generally accepted as fictional, but research shows that whoever wrote the, also fictional, Misson and Tew chapters of the GHP included a huge amount of circumstantial stuff which checks out. I was wondering to what extent the Lewis and Cornelius chapters did likewise.

It has also been asked what Woodes Rogers was up to between his two stints as Governor of the Bahamas, in the years 1721-8. One might also add the question of what he was doing between 1712 and 1717.

Like the Misson and Tew chapters some of the details of the Lewis story seem to have some basis in fact. I'm not suggesting that the story is true, only that whoever wrote it knew their stuff when it came to background info. I was looking particularly at this incident:

From the Coast of Carolina he shaped his Course for the Banks of Newfoundland, where he overhawled several Fishing Vessels, and then went into a commodious Harbour, where he cleaned his Sloop, and went into Trinity Harbour in Conception Bay, where there lay several Merchants, and siezed a 24 Gun Galley, called the Herman: The Commander, Captain Beal, told Lewis, if he would send his Quarter-Master ashoar he would furnish him with Necessaries. He being sent ashoar, a Council was held among the Masters, the Consequence of which was, the seizing the Quarter-Master, whom they carried to Captain Woodes Rogers; he chained him to a Sheet Anchor which was ashoar, and planted Guns at the Point, to prevent the Pyrate getting out, but to little Purpose; for the People from one of these Points firing too soon, Lewis quitted the Ship, and, by the Help of Oars and the Favour of the Night, got out in his Sloop, though she received many Shot in her Hull. The last Shot that was fired at the Pyrate did him considerable Damage.

He lay off and on the Harbour, swearing he would have his Quarter-Master, and intercepted two fishing Shallops, on board of one was the Captain of the Galley's Brother; he detained them, and sent Word, if his Quarter-Master did not immediately come off, he would put all his Prisoners to Death; he was sent on board him without Hesitation. Lewis and the Crew enquired, how he had been used? and he answered, very civilly. Its well, said the Pyrate; for had you been ill treated, I would have put all these Rascals to the Sword. They were dismiss'd, and the Captain's Brother going over the Side, the Quarter-Master stopp'd him, saying, he must drink the Gentlemens Health ashoar, in particular Captain Roger's, and, whispering him in the Ear, told him, if the Crew had known of his being chain'd all Night, he would have been cut in Pieces, with all his Men. After this poor Man and his Shallop's Company were gone, the Quarter-Master told the Usage he had met with, which enraged Lewis, and made him reproach his Quarter-Master, whose Answer was, that he did not think it just the Innocent should suffer for the Guilty.

The Masters of the Merchant Men sent to Captain Tudor Trevor, who lay at St. John's in the Sheerness Man of War; he immediately got under Sail, and miss'd the Pyrate but four Hours.

What this seems to be telling us is that at some point Rogers was in a position of authority in Newfoundland. Unfortunately there's very little else in the relation of that particular incident which can be checked up on. I've yet to find any record of the Herman Galley commanded by Beale, but HMS Sheerness checks out to a certain extent. There was an HMS Sheerness, she was on the American Station at some point during the 1720s (I've got her at Boston in 1728, but don't yet know when she arrived), and Captain Tudor Trevor really did exist. What I haven't yet found is a record of Captain Trevor being in command of HMS Sheerness. (In 1717 Trevor was captain of HMS Exeter, and in 1728 HMS Sheerness was commanded by Capt. James Cornwall). My point is that some of the details begin to look well researched, so did the author of the Lewis story know something about Rogers' movements during those obscure years that we don't?

Or have I missed the plot and does everyone already know that Rogers was governor of Newfoundland in 1715? :o

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Eyes ain't no match fer ya foxe when it comes to history but the two dablooms eyes got is from "under the black flag" by David COrdingly. He says Woodes Rodgers commanded a privateering mission around 1708-1711. And then went to the West Indies in 1718 to rid New Providence of pirates. Woodes published A book in 1712 "A Cruising voyage around the World"

July 26,1718 Woodes was back in New Provence Having returned from England. He re-established order once again as Govenor up to 1720's. Was replaced deu to poor health and later reinstated and returned becuase his replacement was incompetent.this as in 1729. he died in 1732..

:lol:

does everyone already know that Rogers was governor of Newfoundland in 1715? 

Woodes had gone to South Carolina fer his health before he died but It's

a note in point that he was not just a govenor... He was a "govenor in Chief" so that means he was in charge of alot of territorty..

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Sorry fellas, should have updated this one as I found stuff out...

The background to the Lewis and Cornelius chapters which started me off on this quest checks out to a remarkable degree. I've checked just about every checkable name or ship mentioned in the text and every single one checks out as accurate. If the Lewis and Cornelius chapters are fictional (which I am beginning to doubt) then whoever wrote them really knew their background info.

I initially made a mistake in dating the story by the mention of Woodes Rogers, and assumed that it must therefore be set either between 1712 and 1717 or between 1721 and 1728 - the two big gaps in his life history. However, discarding the Rogers involvement the rest of the background info in the story points more towards the 1690s, which made me wonder about Rogers' involvement. However, Rogers' father, also called Woodes Rogers, is known to have been involved in the Newfoundland trade in the 1690s. So, although it is not clear in the text the Capt. Woodes Rogers mentioned is not the famous privateer/Governor/pirate hunter, but his father. :)

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

That makes much more sence :)

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."