Edmund Fitzgerald 30th Anniversary

Sjöröveren

The Edmund Fitzgerald went down with all hands 30 years ago tonight. The iron ore tanker lost its race against one of the November storms that Lake Superior is famous for. All 29 crew members went with her to the bottom. I"m sure most people know the story from the Gordon Lightfoot song. There's a new book by Michael Schumacher about the event.

Here's a link to a show that aired this morning on Minnesota Public Radio (though this link may not work after today)

Somewhere I have all the engineering drawings for the Fitzgerald. We were in the UP when I was a teen visiting the museum where much of what's been brought up is kept. It was fascinating; I started researching the whole thing feverishly and collecting info. (I've always done that with things that take my fancy.) She should never have gone out, of course. The theory I remember reading is that the big ore hauler was raised up on two large swells in Superior and she cracked in the middle under the weight. Alas.

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Some time ago I was sent on a detail to work in the office of our chief geographer. I don't remember why, but I was tasked with doing some research on the EF (probably something to do with finding a position). I listened to a bunch of casette tapes of radio traffic, read a bunch of transcripts, and may still to this day have diagrams of the wreck site sitting on my desk. I seem to recall one theory was that the seas were so rough that she may have bottomed out on a shoal that's normally about 20 feet deep. Another odd thing I remember, there was a report of someone seeing a light that night, which they thought was a nearby land-based aid to navigation. But it was seen at a weird place, and the disappeared. Later theories were that that light was the stern light from the EF, raised some hundreds of feet in the air as she did a nose dive to the bottom.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Another odd thing I remember, there was a report of someone seeing a light that night, which they thought was a nearby land-based aid to navigation.  But it was seen at a weird place, and the disappeared.  Later theories were that that light was the stern light from the EF, raised some hundreds of feet in the air as she did a nose dive to the bottom.

Impressive as hell if it's true. Doesn't it just put a chill in you to think of thousands of tons of metal lifted bodily into the air by old mother nature?

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

both of those theories were discussed on the show today. One, that she "hogged", or broke in the center when caught between two crests. Or that she shoaled on rocks that were normally plenty deep, but the depth of the troughs between the crests brought the surface down to their level and exposed them.

The mystery light may well have been her stern lights. The theory is that when the bow struck the lake bottom, the 1000 foot ship still had her stern a hundred feet or more in the air. It stood vertical for a while before sinking. All of these theories are discussed in the new book I mentioned, called "The Mighty Fitz"

• 1 year later...
i always cry while listening to gorden lightfoot song about the

"big fitz".    

Lady renee, you are not the only one. I have Gordon Lightfoot loaded up on my work computer, and this song stands out the most. ...and I'm a Gen-Xer, go figure!

I lived in Chicago, right directly across from the Lincoln Park Zoo, between '99 and '01, and every time I see lake Michigan, even, I always think of this song.

SHIP2-1.jpg

The Edmund Fitzgerald went down with all hands 30 years ago tonight.

Seems as though it was longer ago than 30 years: I won't swear to it but I thought I remember this song being popular the simmer (1974) I spent in Norfolk. ;)

Capt. Wiliam

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

I have always been interested in the Edmund Fitzgerald, perhaps because it was such a recent event in our modern times or because of the song by Gordon Lightfoot. Maybe both.

As a young child and even as an adult the song still captures my emotions whenever I hear it.

A few years ago, while at work, there was a radio broadcast of the ceremony where they tolled the bell for each member lost aboard the Fitz. It was a very eerie feeling and sound to hear the bell. It was like you could feel the presence of those whose lives were taken. There were a few of us that bowed our heads in silence as the bell tolled.

Thank you for the memory and the reminder of the Annuversary.

May those aboard who were lost be at rest and may they never be forgotten.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.