Finaly recieved Hand Mortar from TRS

It took 1 year and 2 weeks but it finally arrived (on my birthday no less!)

Take a look here

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/handmortar.htm

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Phew. You have more patient that me matey :lol: Looks awesome though, should show some picture of the work in progress!

"A merry life and a short one be my motto"

Avid the PA ren faire, or live nearby? We're trying to start a club/group to do some fun things outside of the faire! www.countyerdoubloons.com/tavern

Good eye Cascabel

Actually I cheated and used the barrel picture from TRS's website as I had taken down my photography equipment and forgot to take a picture of the barrel.

It does have a breech plug though.

It should keep me busy over the winter... spring.... summer?

I have no idea how long it will take but I am a really compulsive person and my modus operandi is usally to get things done can or I will loose interest and move on to something else.

That being said, if I don't take my time with this... I will F$%$#$ it up.

Cascabel

Where should I start with this project?

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Wow, nice birthday present. Greg, I wish you the very, very best of luck with this. About 10 years ago I saw one built by Kit Ravenshear, and it was amazing. I wanted one ever since, so naturally I am impressed by your choice. I'm doubly impressed because I know some where in the Maryland armory inventory in the late 1600s! So, good luck, I hope to see it someday and oooh and aaah over it! :lol:

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Cascabel

Where should I start with this project?

GoF

Your first order of business should be to finish inletting the barrel. Howevever..... Do the inletting WITHOUT the breechplug installed. You will find it much easier without the breech tang getting in your way.

The barrel must seat squarely against the rear of the barrel channel in order to transfer the recoil shock evenly to the stock to prevent eventual splitting of the wood. After proper fitting of the barrel, the plug is installed, and the rear tang inletted. I recommend polishing the face of the plug to make it easier to reflect light so that you can see if the bore is clean when cleaning the barrel after firing, however this is not much of an issue in a short barrel like this. After tightening the plug properly, strike a "witness mark" on the bottom across the plug and barrel joint with a sharp chisel or center punch. If you ever have occasion to remove the plug, lining up the mark when tightening the plug will assure proper alignment. This will make sure after re-installing the barrel that the mounting lugs and touch hole will be in their proper places in relation to the stock. It will also insure that the plug is completely tightened. Be careful when tightening the plug into the barrel, and keep in mind you are dealing with a brass barrel, which is soft material. You don't want to strip the threads by over tightening.

>>>>> Cascabel

So, Laddy, what is it that ye be plannin' ta launch from this 'ere weapon? 'Ave ye some plans fer grenades? An Idea that I've had fer some time is to create "cannon balls" from thick paper mache, stuff 'em with flour an' center made out of a small explosive charge, such as an M-80, and launchin' em with a cannon. Point 'em high enough an' it flies downrange an goes "poof" in midair. Sort of a cannon-launched mortar shell, such as one fires on Independance Day.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...