historically correct sword

tishsparrow

Where am I supposed to find one of these? it has to be blunt, because theres a pretty good chance my brothers will want to play with it, and my parents would prefer the little buggers keep all their limbs. and it is preferred that it is cheap.

i am a pathetic pirate...

not sure about what quality and materials you want, but i went out and bought toy pirate swords at walmart. they arn't the brittle ones though cause i didn't want them to break if i was to play to hard with them, so i found hollow somewhat bendable plastic ones. they are very fun and i'm gonna add some leather around the handle and a few other details to make them more "cool". not the most historically correct but they are mostly child safe and you can have them in public without the cops pepper spraying you and taking you in.

i am just suggesting the plastic cause even blunted metal can be dangerous in childrens hands.

anyway ignore me if this isn't helpfull :lol:

Unfortunately there isn't any such thing as what you're looking for. A historically accurate sword would not be safe, because after all, a sword is a weapon. Even a blunt one can be dangerous to kids.

And historically accurate swords aren't cheap either. I would take the advice of the above post and go with the toy route.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

If your looking for a historically correct sword and want it blunt it can be done. There are many dealers selling repros that are very nice and reasonably cheap $64.00 plus or minus. Just do a search for pirate cutlass or cutlass swords. If it comes in as a sharp or with out a stage combat ready blade you can take out the sharp edge by grinding it down and fileing it. As a rule of thumb when we make our combat blades we take a radius of a dime and cut down the tip to that. Also check out ebay you might find something there.

François

:lol:

PyrateAvitar.jpg

I am a Free Men of The Sea I don't pillage and plunder.
I covertly acquire!

François Viete Domont de la Palmier
I haven't been accused of Pyracy...............YET

Forgive me for comin in late, and a little confused, i have been on Vacation...

did you want this sword for Halloween? if so, sorry I'm too late.

If not, Hanwei by Paul Chen has a whole collection of Practical swords with blunt edges that are historically accurate for around $250 at the CAS Iberia website, but I have found them much cheaper from other sites. They do not have a cutlass, but they do have 2 Bascket Hilts (Broadsword and Backsword, and the baskethilted broadsword WAS the sword that ended blackbeard!), a Mortuary hilt, and others..

- 10 Fathoms Deep on the Road to Hell... Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum...

youve all been pretty helpful, and no, deadeye, it wasnt for halloween, just for costume. i ended up with one of those cheap kid swords for halloween, just for a temporary so i would look like a pirate, but that just isnt a good one, particularly the white blade with the little round knob on the end.

and its not really that i think my brothers will steal it and stab each other. the youngest is ten, and knows better. i just dont want to hurt myself if i do stage combat, and it'll make my parents happier if it isnt sharp.

someone pointed out to me yesterday that i could just buy any sword i wanted and take it to the knife store near me and get it dulled. cant believe i didnt think of that, i pass that place every day.

Shipmates,

I'm also interested in the purchase of a hanger/cutlass, but desire it to be sharp. (I'm fortunate in that my children are now old enough that I can trust them to leave my play-things alone :blink: ) I need a highly authentic blade...Have checked out Old Dominion Forge, and am quite impressed with their website

http://www.olddominionforge.com/swords.html , but am curious as to whether there are any other smiths out there producing swords of comparable quality and authenticity.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Shipmates,

No sooner had i posted the above than I discovered the very answers I was looking for in a previous thread entitled "Cutlasses". :blink:

Thanks!

Your Obedient Servant,

Chad Teasley

Ship's Gunner

• 1 month later...

Speaking of swords: some day, and it won't be soon, I'd like to purchase a combat quality cutlass. I don't mean a show piece, I mean - it's 1815, and I am going to use this weapon in a boarding action. My life depends on it.

Any recommended makers? :lol:

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Armour Class made the cutlasses on display at HMS Victory. I swear by Armour Class, and their 1805 cutlass is a nice weapon. If you're not in a hurry and you're prepared to pay for the best then go with Armour Class (they're not the most expensive, but they're not cheap either).

Armour Class

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Where are they on the Armor Class website? Or is it a bespoke item?

They only seem to have that bloody ECW stuff on there!

;)

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

I don't believe they are on the website. Bear in mind that medieval and ECW are the two most popular periods of re-enactment in the UK and you can understand why Armour Class devote so much time to them. They do massive amounts of bespoke stuff (I believe the HMS Victory cutlass order was something like 300 swords +/- 50). Send 'em a picture and they'll make you a sword.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk