Leather Drinking Vessels

Deadeye

Does anyone know if Leather drinking vessels were common during the GAoP? I found a site that makes some really awsome ones, but i dont want to spend my money if it isnt hostorically correct.

TIA

Deadeye

- 10 Fathoms Deep on the Road to Hell... Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum...

Leather mugs (jacks) were very common. They didn't break.

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

I've got a leather jack, made by Thistle Leather. Mac, the mug maker, died a few years back and his apprentice took over as

http://www.elandahleather.com/

Mac's mugs are awesome, I would hope that the apprentice's are good as well, but I don't know.

My jack has pretty much been through hell and is still sealed and looking good if a bit worn. The nice thing is they look even better worn and don't break.

I fell off a second story balcony and landed on mine. While first aid was treating me, some one filled it with Guinness to help me mend and it never leaked!

The only downside is you cannot put hot things in them and if you let anything stand in it too long it will "flavor the leather" and all your future drinks.

Leather jacks were used from the Middle Ages all the way up to the early 20th century in some places, particularly England. They were light, unbreakable, and easy to manufacture. :lol:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)