Random Topics

Patrick Hand

And sure, the infatuation part is fun, but the good part is when you get past seeing the other person through rose coloured glasses, realise you still love them and get to the real commitment stage.

That, right there is the part I see in quite a few couples I know. They still have the fireworks, but they've hit a point where they see their better half for who they are, and they love them just as much, and build the path of a long term relationship (the learning, companionship, and partnership Caraccioli notes).

I admit the romantic side of me has ushered this thought out of my mind this evening. That, and specific memories of some of the older couples in my family. It gives me warm fuzzies seeing folks who enjoy each other's company so much.

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So...what does your wife think of that, blackjohn? :lol:

Although you would think tigers would be more popular as pets if that were true.

Love - at least as near as my analytical mind can make of it - is really something completely other than the bill of goods we're sold. It's about understanding, companionship, learning and partnership.

Don't know, never asked her. I doubt she'd have much of an opinion on it, not being a man. It works for me. Or shall I say, it makes sense in that I understand it and have experienced it in the dim past. Most of the guys I know agree. A few don't. I guess it really goes back to "how do you feel about Nietzsche?"

As for love, well, I wasn't addressing love, but lust, the second part of Patrick's message. Not that it matters, this being random topics. Eh... it's all chemicals in the brain - phenylethylamine and dopamine, serotonin and oxytocin.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

As of last night... I had no money. and half a pack of cigaretts to last me for maybe five days... and I smoke one pack a day (and NO this is not the time to talk about stop smoking)

My Boss was trying to get the money that the Damn baseball teams promised(and owed us) to pay us.... when she asked her sister..... (nice ... well it rhymes with witch) anyway her sister sujested that she should ask her "gay" friends for some money.....cool part.... THEY came through........I got part of the money... $100 now I can buy some of the basic stuff I need..(OK the three beers in the bar were an extravigance....)

Does this mean anything... well ... no... but I am happy to have some money right now.............

Been there Patrick. Once had a summer job up in Mass. Rent was so high I had no money left over to eat on. So I went down to the docks and waited for sportsmen to come in with their catch, and offer to clean it for one side of a filet. Although it seemed like a low point in my life, I recently looked at the experience in a different way: I was good and fast with a knife, so I earned my side o' fish very quickly. Given the price of fresh seafood, I realize now that I have never made so much money on a per-hour basis before or since.

Perspective.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Vikings fire Tice after victory over Bears

/ Associated Press

Posted: 43 minutes ago

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - The Minnesota Vikings fired coach Mike Tice after Sunday's victory over Chicago.

Owner Zygi Wilf announced he would not renew Tice's contract in a statement less than an hour after the Vikings' 34-10 win over the Bears in the regular season finale. Tice, who finished his fourth full season with a 32-32 overall record, had already addressed the media before the move was made public. The announcement came via press release after most players had left the Metrodome.

"I don't know who was more shaken by it, him or me," Tice said of what he called an emotional meeting with Wilf.

The timing of the move and the means by which it was delivered stunned the few players still at the Dome.

"It's the owner's decision," said quarterback Brad Johnson, as he left the stadium with his family. "It's a tough business, and I appreciate Mike and the way he treated me and the way he treated the team. I wish him greatness."

Tice's tenure was mostly marked by streaks and scandals, with a $100,000 fine levied last summer against him by the league for scalping his Super Bowl tickets, and a wild boat party during the team's bye week this season that produced misdemeanor charges against four players.

After starting 2-5, the Vikings won six straight before losing two in a row to fall out of contention for the playoffs.

"After significant evaluation, we feel that now is the time to make a coaching change," Wilf said in the statement.

The owner was gone when the statement was issued to media in the locker room and he scheduled a news conference for Monday.

Pro Bowl kick returner Koren Robinson had to compose himself before commenting, managing a "Whoa, that's crazy," while he read the statement at his locker.

"In the locker room? Right after a game you just won?" Robinson said. "Give the man respect enough to wait until Monday to enjoy the win, at least."

Pro Bowl safety Darren Sharper crumpled up the release and threw it on the floor before declining comment and running back Mewelde Moore also tersely declined to comment.

Wilf said previously that Tice's job status would be discussed at the team's headquarters on Monday, but shortly before 7 p.m. CDT, the release was issued.

When asked about his mind-set after Minnesota's 34-10 victory over the Bears, Tice said the situation weighed on him as he contemplated 13 years with the organization. He progressed from a tight end in 1992 to offensive line coach to head coach.

"Of course it did, I'm a human being, a man," Tice said. "I've been here since '92 ... I've poured a lot of energy into this program."

OK, so the guy sucked as a head coach. He was horrible, and needed to be fired. But he deserved better than the bum's rush after the last game. Zygi played this a bit too cuthroat in my opinion, given that he was all smiles and pats on the back with Tice during the game. I've had to dismiss people, but I always tried to do it in a way that afforded them some dignity. B)

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

it's all chemicals in the brain - phenylethylamine and dopamine, serotonin and oxytocin

Wish they had that over the counter.. But then again what if the first thing I laid eyes on was a fire hydrant? Would that put the Eternal fires out"? B)

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

• 2 weeks later...
Let me just say, that there aint nothin better than whoopin zombie ass.

I couldn't agree more. Did you ever see that little film on the net where bunch of boffo-weapon fantasy cosplayers were attacked by a bunch of zombies? Hold on... here. That looks like tooo much fun. The only way I could think of it getting any better would be to do the same with zombies attacking people armed with Airsoft guns!!! :P:o:o

My Home on the Web

On the radio this morning they told about a group of gay Highschool students in Tracy California that are planing on haveing their own Prom.... the school said that any student could go to the prom, but the gay students felt uncomfortable going to the regular prom.... OK no big deal..... If the gay students want to have their own private party... who cares.....

It turns out a group from Kansas does.... they will be flying out from Kansas to California to protest the gay prom....... :(

Hey.... I thought it was funny.........

Glad I could be of service! I try to entertain, I honestly do.

Speaking of other forums, I have lately been discussing (and, often, arguing) the limitations of the scientific method and the possibility of proceeding from it to a better method (to be named at a later date) on another forum. It puts zest and zing in the grey matter, it does.

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Glad I could be of service! I try to entertain, I honestly do.

Speaking of other forums, I have lately been discussing (and, often, arguing) the limitations of the scientific method and the possibility of proceeding from it to a better method (to be named at a later date) on another forum. It puts zest and zing in the grey matter, it does.

Lots of luck on that but may I reguest first that we explain the scientific method to the majority of "science experts" as well as the definition of theory. Also what limitations do you see with it ....... could be my mechanical mind refusing to leave the "box" agian but really what limiting factors do you find with that open of a method.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

Quick firearms thought here,

Even though I love the hump back browning and a good side by side double (in sweet 16 as a prefrence and when did all these d**n yuppies decide to "rediscover" my favorite cartridge I feel so much less unique) there is nothing in the realm of the shotgun quite as pleasing as that lovely sound made when one racks the slide on an old trombone gun. My personal fav. is my 835 Mossy but the remington 870 express tactical style my friend gave me for Christmas has taken it's place as my home defence gun (well aside from my colt police revolver in .38 special.)

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

Also what limitations do you see with it ....... could be my mechanical mind refusing to leave the "box" agian but really what limiting factors do you find with that open of a method.

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that I have not thought my point through well enough. Nothing is wrong with the scientific method proper. It's scintillatingly successful as a means for discovering.

I have been properly busted in the chops on this one and am still trying to figure out where my train lost its wheels. I believe I have a valid point, but we have denigrated into discussion on whether "hypthesis, observation, sythesis" is valid, which is pointless. (Of course it is.)

See, I think may be another, better way to understand things, but I don't know what it is. This is not to say it will supplant the scientific method for explaining the world, just as the scientific method has not supplanted mysticism for explaining the world in many people's minds. It just seems to me that there may be another way. Not being able to define it, I have been booed from the cheap seats. B)

"Am I not?"

See, I think may be another, better way to understand things, but I don't know what it is. This is not to say it will supplant the scientific method for explaining the world, just as the scientific method has not supplanted mysticism for explaining the world in many people's minds. It just seems to me that there may be another way. Not being able to define it, I have been booed from the cheap seats. :lol:

I have one word for you young man - Meditation.

My Home on the Web

I have one word for you young man - Meditation.

Well, yes. I have tried such and enjoyed it, but I was discussing this with a bunch of scientists and they would reject meditation as a form of knowing. Many of them would put it firmly under the heading of mysticism. Scientists want proof of causality. Proof, proof, proof.

When you obtain understanding from meditation, there is no proof that you're right. But when you go and prove what you have understood, then you are using science and meditation falls under the heading of hypothesis and you are still using science.

Young, huh? I'll bet I've got five years on you. :lol:

"Am I not?"

I've been having weird dreams lately. I've been getting bit by a vampire in them. Another weird thing is I sometimes feel like a ghost in other parts of the dream. I'll be trying to get people's attention, but they can't see or hear me. This has gone on for a couple of nights now. Either I'm a vampire victim or I'm invisible to people, ghost-like. Ugh, something must be bothering me in my waking state to make me dream this way. :lol:

christinebarbossagy7.jpg