Nelson exhibit at the Huntington

Red Maria

Not pirates but a a major figure in maritime history>

During the month of October, there is an exhibit on Admiral Horatio Nelson in the Trustees Room. On October 21, 1805, Nelson was killed at the Battle of Trafalgar, his greatest victory. His death immortalized him as the great naval hero of British history. The exhibit displays items from the Huntington’s collections relating to Trafalgar. But there was another Nelson, the man who was in love with one of the great beauties of his time – Emma Hamilton. Their affair – each was married to another person – was notorious and caused them both much heartache. The exhibit illuminates Nelson’s passion for Emma through the extensive collection of his letters at the Huntington.

Robert C. Ritchie

Director of Research

The Huntington

1151 Oxford Rd.

San Marino, CA 91108

Come on by if you're in the nieghborhood!

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

One of the best books I've ever read on Adm. Nelson is "Broadsides; The Age of Fighting Sail, 1775 - 1815" by Nathan Miller. It's an extraordinarily engaging discourse on naval combat and how Nelson revolutionized it, without ever shirking from relaying Nelson's many personal flaws. I've read the contents of his letter both to his wife and mistress, but I would love to see them with my own eyes. :)

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?