Fusil Boucannier

Here is the info from The Rifle Shoppe's site

The Buccaneer muskets were the weapons that actually put "Tulle" in business. In the 1693 inventory they had enough locks on hand to build 4650 Buccaneers. St. Etienne made them prior to tulle and starting in 1683 french ships were required by law to have at least 12 on board and to be sold to the colonies they went to. Then, by 1714, many colonies required each household to have 1 buccaneer with powder, ball, sword or bayonet, and if they were slaveowners, they had to provide their slaves with one as well. This law was in effect until the 1740’s

They were made with brass or steel mounts depending on the climate they were going to. Most of the ones going to Louisiana and Mississippi territories were brass mounted. Lewis Leonard has found the records from some American expeditions in Georgia and the Carolinas where they purchased quantities of these weapons to take with them. There are also drawings from the 1600’s of Iriquois Indians carrying them. The Americans captured many of these and they were used up into the Revolutionary War.

And here is a completed one.... sold for $2300

th_b1.jpg

Yeah baby, Yeah!

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Along those lines, this auction is worth a laugh.

This pistol was the personal property of my Great-Great Grandad & came out of a Tavern in the Caribbean about 100 years ago & had been on the Tavern's wall for about 100 years before that, (so that accounts for the last 200 years of it's history).

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayi...itemnum=6987617

And yet it looks exactly like the Mid-East/Balkan style trade pistols that have glutted the market in the last few years. ;)

Dances for nickels.

That always seems fishy to me... I assume that the guy likes guns as he is selling a gun on a gun site, and has over a 100 books for sale about guns.

Now I don't know about the rest of you, but I like guns.

And,

I don't have anything.... not even a picture of my Great, Great, Grandad, let alone a pistol that he got from a tavern over 100 years ago.. That would be like my grandfathers Grandfather.

Now would anyone in their right mind SELL a GUN that BELONGED to their freaking GREAT GREAT GRANDFATHER??????

I mean, maybe i could understand it if my kid needed an expensive operation or he would die...

My Great Great Grandfather would have been born around the time of the Napoleonic Wars.....

I kind of wonder what one of those nasty turkish looking flintlocks was doing in the Caribbean anyway...

but hey, if it is a true story, then MR BIGMICK45, you are an asshole.

GoF

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

;)

F-ing good point(s) Greg!!! Rumor has it that my cousin, eldest son of the eldest son, and who has no kids of his own, has a sabre that belonged to our GGgrandfather. I'd give me... right... something... to own it, if it was true!!!

It's odd that BigMick has 89 positive feedback...

Swinging back around on topic. That fusil, she is a beauty. She looks alot like, no, exactly like, the original I saw in the pirates travelling exhibit.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I was with my friend Jonas one day, visiting his girlfriend when Jonas turned to Erika and said, "Show William 'THE KNIFE'."

I sat up a little, "Yeah, show me 'THE KNIFE'."

She went to a drawer and took out a box filled with soft cloth and unwrapped a damascus kris knife. It's was easily the best made knife I'd ever seen and I said so.

Jonas said, "Tell him where it comes from."

It seems that one of her great, great, great grandfathers was a commisioned privateer who was hired to destroy a Thai pirate ship that was pressing the shipping lanes of one of her majesty's foreign ports. He sailed part way round the world and stormed the ship. He fought the Thai pirate captain face to face and after gutting him, he took 'THE KNIFE' from him.

I never wanted to kill anyone more and take their stuff.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Exactly....

now, would they schlock that part of family history on some auction site for a lousy $1000?

I think not.

Exactly....

now, would they schlock that part of family history on some auction site for a lousy $1000?

I think not.

Heaven forbid. You should have seen how well kept 'THE KNIFE' was. It didn't look a day over fifty.

Erika had no intention of ever selling it.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg