Pouch, Pocket, or Purse??

Deadeye

Nay sir! T'is not the thumb! Nor tool using! T'is the pocket! The pocket I say unto ye! When cast forth from the Garden, Adam did take for himself a great leaf to cover his loins, and onto that he did sew the first pocket!

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Ah yes! I remember the story now. And Woman was not allowed the use of the pocket for she tempted Man into the Fall. So she was cursed to wander the world with a bag tied to her waist!

Then one day, some decadent hussy from Edward's time sewed her pouch to her petticotes...

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Are you certain? I thought that was Cotton and Wooly's sister Silky Mather. She was a bit of a renegade. The whole pocket affair eventually caused a falling out between members of the Mather family. The youngest brother, Calico Mather, turned pirate and grew a big French moustache.

(Remind me to add Calico Mather to my list of aliases.)

My Home on the Web

:huh::huh:

You set my head to spinnin, thats fer sure! So from what I have gathered from this Caddywampus topic is that Pockets for Sailors-Good, Pockets for Continentals-Bad. Check.

And i Always thought it was the Aircraft that separates us from Lower Beings.... Get it, Lower Beings..

- 10 Fathoms Deep on the Road to Hell... Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum...

I have a pouch on me belt and it does the trick. Most other necessities, (like the cat-o-nine-tails and me tankard) are hanging from me belt for immediate accessability!

for those times you have to just reach out... and flog somebody?

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff

Pockets for Continentals-Bad. Check.

YIKES!!! Don't quote me on that. It was a broad-brush over-generalization. The Continental Army was a complex machine, and re-supply was often spotty and not per regulations. In fact, as I recall the regiment I was re-enacting once captured a British supply ship full of uniforms for the 10th Regiment of Foot. We surmise they put those uniforms to good use. If anyone wants further details on pockets and the revolution, I'd be more than happy to dig around and post my findings in Beyond Piracy. B)

My Home on the Web

Aaaargh.... but you gota love pockets........

two in me slops (fer keys, wallet, money, and Zippo......)

two in me Pyrate coat.... (fer spyglass or whatever.... and cigs and tobbaco....) wit th' pipe in my hat/or bandoleer (don't wanna break it...)

Tankard and pouch (fer flint & steal) on my belt.......

Hey I'm set.............. B)

A muslin sack with a drawstring and a strap is very period, Tish. If I'm correctly understanding what you mean, that's what we call a "snapsack" and it's been in use by soldiers since the English Civil War at least!

And yeah, it beats pink and black fur on authenticity, but not on funky style. :ph34r:

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

• 4 weeks later...
I have a pouch on me belt and it does the trick. Most other necessities, (like the cat-o-nine-tails and me tankard) are hanging from me belt for immediate accessability!

Aye..I agree wholeheartedly Rummy. I bought a pouch recently that I hang from the sash 'round my waist. Fits all my coins and id, and I even had room for my little camera. The rest of my items ended up hanging from my sash, or if stashable in tight quarters, in my bodice. B)

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

I use a pouch.,unless I am wearing a frock....., I also used a horn and cut it about 7" a straight section., and built caps from wood , leather and brass attachments for a leather strap.,as my SpyGlass case. It will also hold documents (Fair map ect.,ect.,)or other things.

Thats a great idea harbor master. Could you post pics.

Petee-2.jpg