Your Rig- knife and fid

Hawkyns

A day or two ago, someone posted (lost the thread, dammit) about your rig, being the knife and fid, that was a part of every sailor's kit and was attached by lanyards to the belt. Well, I've done a lot of looking through archeological finds from the sea, and I've yet to find a fid from the GAoP or earlier. Plenty of knives of various types, many with the wood hilt intact. Also, a good number of knife sheaths, but nothing that indicates a fid worn on the belt.

So the question, ladies and gentlemen, is this: was that rig worn in period or is it a 19th century idea? Any body have any hard documentation?

Hawkyns

:ph34r:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Nothing concrete here either... but along similar lines. I have also heard things like belaying pins were "ship" property. Those responsible for ship property would never let a seamen leave the ship with it...

If that is true, walkint around with a belaying pin strapped to you might not be the most authentic idea (unless you were aboard ship).

Maybe fids were ships property as well?

GoF

(I will hunt down the source of the above info and post it when i find it)

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Well, I've done a lot of looking through archeological finds from the sea, and I've yet to find a fid from the GAoP or earlier.

From Butler's Dialogues (though he was cribbing from arch-pirate Henry Mainwaring), circa 1634

Admiral: What is it that you here call a fid?

Captain: It is only a piece of iron made tapering and withal sharp at the end. But there are also fids of wood, which are much bigger than those of iron; though both are of one and the same use. ... There is also a certain kind of hammer called the fid-hammer, having a fid at one end, and a hammer at the other; together with a head and a claw, wherewith to drive in and pull out a nail.

I'm pretty sure that it's a fid hammer we can see to the right of the anchor in this picture of 1693

85757965.jpg

I find my fid hammer a really useful tool, kind of the Swiss Army Knife of its age, and the hammer head make a very good T-bar at the end of the fid, making it much easier to use generally.

Hawkyns, did you notice the info I posted on another thread about Tudor seamen's knives with "chains"?

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I'm out of my depth here, so...

When did the marlinspike actually show up? In what ways was it different from a fid? They appear to have many of the same uses. Or did the Mspike evolve from the fid?

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

OK, so they did exist. I thought they must have in some form, just never saw the ref. Question stll remains, though, were they ever belt worn?

Foxe- I did see that, thank you. At least I have one reference to doing right.

Hawkyns

:ph34r:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Never seen a picture of a man with a fid at his belt. Seen some pictures that could be belt worn fids, but are probably knives. My fids live in my ditty bag, anything worn in the belt when it doesn't need to be in a hindrance.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk